Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • forks creaking from steerer/crown interface..how common?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

i’ve had this twice now in my biking life when an annoying creak appears and is traced to the area mentioned…effectively writing off the fork in my mind 1/ because it could be dangerous 2/because it’s blooming annoying.one pair was a set of bombers yonks ago and yesterday an aluminium rigid fork. Just wondered if this is a fairly common experience amongst others?

cheers

Bill

Onzadog
    Free Member

Even more common if your forks say Pike in them.

kaiser
    Free Member

oh ..pikes were notorious for this?  that must have been an expensive annoyance if out of warranty.

kaiser
    Free Member

If I bought some 2nd hand forks and they creaked I wouldn’t be pleased!

marksnook
    Free Member

My pikes have just started creaking like crazy, not got money for new ones but need them for Ard Rock so can’t send them off for warranty! I’m in a pickle!

Onzadog
    Free Member

With pikes, the first thing to do is check to top caps are at full torque. Mine are at 250 inlbs with loctite and still manage to work their way loose regularly.

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s common though! I’ve never had it, or known anyone else complaining of it…

13thfloormonk

I had it on a bike that I eventually returned on warranty, the creaking was so bad.

They were rigid forks and the bike had originally come specced with cantilevers that juddered under braking. The common solution was to install a fork/crown mounted cable hanger that bolted through the hole in the crown of the fork. I suspect tightening this bolt was enough to disrupt the interface between the crown and the steerer as all sorts of really bad creaking erupted after that.

Eventually replaced the forks and installed some mini-vs.

Anyway, probably not very many bikes coming with cantis any more but worth knowing about!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘forks creaking from steerer/crown interface..how common?’ is closed to new replies.