Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fork stuff, multiple questions. 650B order of sequence + mount repair.
  • weeksy

Where to begin….

I bought some forks ages ago on ebay, about this time last year.

Anyway, when i was fannying about yesterday i noticed some thread on the bolt…. The thread in the lower mount isn’t quite perfect. I’ve put in a longer bolt for now, but i’m considering my options.

Which leads me onto questions of course.

1. Time Sert v Helicoil…. Due to potential for removing the bolt after repair, i’m thinking Time Sert is a better option ?

2. Anyone have a Time Sert kit in an M6 to buy/borrow etc ?

If i don’t repair, then i’ll likley sell the forks on cheap (X-Fusion Sweep 140mm by the way) and replace with some new ones… But which forks…

Ideally i should go for 130’s as that’s what was fitted to the Whyte in the first place. But so many choices, i can never work out what order of sequence the Rockshox are for example and which are better ?

Pikes, Yaris, Revelations, Reba… .? Then you throw in various incarnations of Fox and the odd Manitou Minute comp, so many ‘which ones….’

Sadly i’m not seeing any of the bargain German suppliers with cheap 650B/27.5s at the moment, so not really sure what to do.

nickfrog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry about adding 20mm of travel, that will probably give you a degree less of HA and depending where you start off, this should be good.

There is a 2018 Yari 150mm in the classifieds for very little money. I would buy that in your situation if you can’t repair the X Fusion

weeksy

You say that, but even swapping to the 140s i’ve got you can notice the difference between my bike and my mates (same bike) although that could also be that not only are the X-Fusion 10mm more travel but the axle/crown is also longer on them…

From a previous fork thread of mine.

The axle>crown is 15mm longer, along with 10mm more travel

stevextc
    Free Member

You say that, but even swapping to the 140s i’ve got you can notice the difference between my bike and my mates (same bike)

My T-130 is certainly different with 140mm but my experience was it was positive after the initial getting used to it and no real impact on pedalling.  I chucked the 130mm Rev’s back on because I used the Pike’s on my Mega stuck up to 160mm.

tillydog
    Free Member

A Heli-coil repair will be better than new, and no issues removing / replacing the bolt multiple times. Can’t vouch for Timesert, but they would seem to require removing more material to fit them.

weeksy

spoke to my boss who restores Lambrettas, so we’re going to Helicoil it tomorrow lunchtime 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fork stuff, multiple questions. 650B order of sequence + mount repair.’ is closed to new replies.