Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • fork and brake recommendations
  • hunter
    Free Member

Hi I'm looking to get a cheap set of suspension forks and hydralic brakes that you can adjust the levers can you recommend any
    cheers

z1ppy

what travel fork?
    Off-hand though Tora/Marz MX for budget (even cheaper 2nd hand on the classified here), move up the RS range as you can afford it… Recon then Reba or Rev's depending on your travel requirments.

Hydro brakes, my first recommendation will always be to Hope's as you can rebuild them unlike the shimano/magura's that have broken on me in the past and have been impossible to fix (very good brakes but the ability to fix them [cheaply] when they break is more important to me).

hunter
    Free Member

Hi I'm not sure about fork travel I just use the bike mostly on road or old railway lines.can you adjust the levers on hope brakes

cynic-al
    Free Member

So a short travel fork? Do you really need it?

Brakes – adjust what? Bite point, travel, reach?

hunter
    Free Member

I just measured the forks I ave on now they have about 115mm travel they are fine just want some better quality that have adjustable hardness.
    the brakesI have now the levers are loose so you have to pull them a bit before they begin working if that makes sense

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Are your current brakes cable or hydraulic? If cable – new pads or cables required. If Hydraulic – bleed the brakes and/or new pads.

hunter
    Free Member

They are hydraulic.when you pull the lever it pushes a plunger to operate the brake thats were the problem is you have to pull them a bit before it hits the plunger.I want some were you can adsust so the lever is already touching the plunger before you even pull it

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

They sound like they need bleeding. What make/model?

hunter
    Free Member

They are Tektro Auriga Comp I got it serviced last week and he said they were ok but it was at halfords

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

If they were bled properly and have enough fluid in the travel from pulling lever to bite point is VERY short. They need more fluid or a bleed imo.

retro83
    Free Member

they're not the best brakes in the world, but they can be pretty good if set up properly. A GWT says it sounds like they need bleeding.

hunter
    Free Member

ok cheers I'll try bleeding them .is there any guides that show how to do it

on forks that I see for sale they have measurments for the steer tube where do I measureto find what size I need

cheers

warpcow
    Free Member

Chances that your bike has anything but a 1 1/8 steerer are pretty small. What make and model bike is it?

hunter
    Free Member

GT xc3

hunter
    Free Member

thanks for the link for the brakes

hunter
    Free Member

can anyone tell me how to measure the forks so I know what size to get
    cheers

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

tape measure from axle to crown (bit that holds the stanchions at the top below the headtube on the bike) for the length of the fork, measure from crown race to top of steerer for steerer length

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘fork and brake recommendations’ is closed to new replies.