• This topic has 30 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by thv3.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Marin Wolf ridge (2009) reviews or opinions
  • mrl

I am looking at one of these (6.9) as there a few deals around. My only concern is that it might be a bit overkill for general riding. I am based in London so most of my riding is north downs, swinley etc. Trips to wales and further way to get some more difficult riding. Will also be taking it to the alps in the summer.

How are they for riding on easier stuff? Are they too heavy to drag around all day? Anyone know how much they weigh? It would be my only bike.
    Cheers

mrl

Anybody?

Dr_Bakes

My brother has one and he loves it. That said his local trails are the peaks, and even there he was worried it'd be too much! I'd have thought it is a bit of overkill for the Downs and Swinley myself? On the other hand it'd be awesome in the Alps but you can't have everything! It is built like an Ox and I'd guess it weighs at least 32 lb, maybe more.

acjim
    Free Member

I've got the '08 version and would say it's great if you want a downhill oriented trail bike. It's heavy and not that great at sprinting / flat singletrack but the frame is very stiff (maxle rear axle) and it is very nice to rag dh. Climbs ok too.

steveh

I've got an 08 one too and would agree with acjim. I bought it because it had the geometry as close as possible to my downhill bike and it's fantastic to ride if you like attacking stuff. It pedals very well with the pro pedal on the shock so is no prodblem uphill either.

I think it'll be more about how you like to ride than where.

v10
    Free Member

Just popped a Medium 6.9 on our scales and its 32.8lb with pedals. We had a 6.8 on demo last year and i used it a few times, certainly feel lighter than they are, fantastic fun to ride and wonderful geo if your a more aggresive rider.

Popping on a lighter set of tyres also makes a huge difference as the 2.35 minion/hr stock combo is pretty weighty.

Pedal pretty well although there is some squat when your in granny ring but bit of propedal helps with this. Having the U-Turn fork also helps on the longer climbs.

Not for everyone but if you want an aggressively orentied trail bike that will punch well above its weight when pointed downhill then they are ace 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

I've got a 2008 bike and I will echo a few of the comments above, it's no lightweight but it's an absolute skill flattering riot on the descents, I took mine to Wales last year and compared to my 2004 Enduro it was a good deal slower on the climbs but the payback on the drops was well worth it.

Mine weighs in a couple of ounces over 30lb; thanks largely to my Pike Air fork and the Hope & Mavic 719 wheelset I carried over from the Enduro, not to mention the fact that I've switched to a Joe's tubeless kit with Kenda Small Blocks which improved the rolling resistance no end, if at the expense of a little surefootedness. Heck, I've even been known to commute on it.

The suspension system is a compromise, granny ring climbs feel like the chain is made of elastic but the pedal response is excellent – it just digs in and shoots forward. The suspension is extremely well controlled on the descents, never feeling like you're bottoming out, but it's very reactive with a decent amount of feedback.

It's also bloody stiff thanks to that Maxle rear end. Why doesn't every FS bike come with Maxles?

Oh and why does it come with three chainrings and not a double and bash?

That's my only real criticism. If you haven't already guessed, I bloody love mine.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Haven't got one, but was looking at them before I got an Orange Alpine. The Marin looks like a lot of bikes rolled into one in my opinion. I couldn't afford to look after 2 (3 at one time) bikes, and having to pedal a little bit harder was a good trade off for not having bikes I couldn't put anywhere or afford to service – although buying the Alpine made a massive dent in my back account. They look good to me.

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

Maybe where your living you'd be better off with the mount vision platform.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Depends…

I bought my Rock Springs purely to expand my horizons as a trail centre playbike with the intention of using the Enduro as my main bike.

I haven't ridden my Enduro since March!

Make of that what you will!

robhughes
    Free Member

got the 08 and it,s an absolute riot.as was said they are a bit heavy as stock.managed to get mine down to 29lbs.not cheap but it was well worth spending the money on it as i,m a light rider.
    it just feels bomb proof.
    don,t know what went on spec wise. when i bought it but it should have had coil pikes on but came with 426 dual air u-turn so that saved a bit.
    even better was i paid £1399 for it last feb.
    GT was created for this bike. 😉

andrewh
    Free Member

FWIW, I have a 1999 Attack Trail, love it to bits. Also had an XC100 frameset and a Mt Vision Pro as a warrenty replacement for it.
    Would definately recomend Marin generally. Got a carbon Yeti to replace the Mt Vis, but would never get rid of the AT.

Rockplough
    Free Member

I'm also having a wee look at an 08/09 Wolf Ridge. I'm 6'1" and would be really interested to hear any comments re frame sizing?

PJM1974
    Free Member

@Rockplough

I'd recommend you go for the large. The frame is a little short otherwise, which impacts it's climbing abilities somewhat.

snaps
    Free Member

Rockplough – I'd get a test ride before buying, I'm 6'1" & bought a large Mount Vision but have had to fit a layback post & longer stem to get it to fit me – probably would have bought an XL if I'd known this.

acjim
    Free Member

I'm 5'11 and have a medium – but I like short bikes!

v10
    Free Member

Rockplough – will echo what said above, have sold an awful lot of these and usually find the cutoff point between med/lrg around the 5'11/6ft mark. They are fairly short in the TT for a given size but there is no better test then getting you backside on a saddle as everyone has different preferences/proportions.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Thanks fellas.

mrl

Thanks for the comments, I think I have decided that the bike is a bit too burly. Some killer deals out there for someone though. I will look at the mount vision. Cheers

PJM1974
    Free Member

@robhughes

What have you done to yours to get it down to 29lb?

I'd be quite interested to see the spec!

robhughes
    Free Member

changed to from stock
    already pike 426 dual air fitted new.don,t know why as not on spec.
    09xt cranks.twin+ti bash
    easton ct2 carbon bars
    raceface deux xc post
    spesh format ti saddle.(from to states)
    rims 717,s.(pro2)
    tyres nobby nics.
    xt pedals.
    i think the bigest saving is getting rid of those bloody fsa cranks.they weigh a ton.from memory it was over a pound.

robhughes
    Free Member

o and fsa xc stem(carbon face)

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

I have a 2009 mount vision 5.8

you won't be disappointed!

Rockplough
    Free Member

Decisions decisions! I tried on a medium and a large yesterday. Large actually felt a bit too long in terms of getting weight over the back, and also has quite a high top-tube whereas the medium felt a touch short but very nimble.

Erring towards medium I think as it's going to be more of a chuck it down a hill playbike than an all-dayer but it's one of those things where you worry whatever decision you make will turn out to be the wrong one.

Ho-hum. 😕

edit: Another thing pushing me towards medium is the large 2010 attack trail ETT is only 10mm longer than the 2009 medium wolf ridge. For such a small difference I could muck about with stems and bingo I've got essentially the same fit Marin would suggest if I was buying a 2010 bike. Don't I?

druidh
    Free Member

If you're after a Mount Vision, I know of a 2009 5.8 (in Medium) which is going cheap.

thv3
    Free Member

As said above I think it depends on your style.

It is a naturally very very aggresive bike, it doesn't really come alive unless you are riding it like that so you really need to be the right type of rider.

If you are though its fantastic. Got the 2008 and have hammered it all over Scotland and the Alps. Live in Innerleithen and it has done everything from Merida marathons to Uplift days. Haven't found it's limits yet, although like above also I have also shed some weight.

robhughes
    Free Member

thv3.what,s it like to ride on the inner,s down hills.
    done the rest of it there on mine,great on the last bit,s of the red.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Hi thv3. Would be interested to know what size frame you have, and what size you are? Any thoughts on setup re stem length etc?

thv3
    Free Member

It's great on the DH runs here. Haven't the guts to try the big drop on Matador but apart from that it's very capable. Thats me though, not the bike!!

Particularly fast on make or brake, faster than much bigger bikes due to it being more pedally. The bike flys nicely in the air too if you are that way inclined, very stable but flickable if that makes sense.

I ride the medium and am 5ft 9. Fits me perfectly. It is the kind of bike you will want to throw about though so definately don't go for the XC stretch approach. I would try and throw a leg over one to see what suits.

thv3
    Free Member

I meant to say, regarding stem length I wouldn't go longer than 90mm as a max. I use a 60mm stem, you will want to keep the steering fast and responsive.

Rochplough, It would probably be better to get a large with a short stem than the other way round if you are between sizes.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Marin Wolf ridge (2009) reviews or opinions’ is closed to new replies.