Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Forged in Fire
  • CheesybeanZ

Found it while channel surfing and it’s now a bit if a guilty pleasure.
    Looks like the judges enjoy the testing process.

cdoc
    Free Member

It does get a bit addictive. They did a sister program called Knife fight for a while, which was a home forged knife obstacle course of destruction, but it was all a bit American and shouty for me.

grahamt1980

Hell yes, makes me want a forge.
    and agreed the judges definitely take a lot of enjoyment in trying to destroy the knives

geetee1972
    Free Member

My two boys went through a phase of loving it as well.

Have a look also at Alec Steele on YouTube. He’s a young British metal worker who is so incredibly enthusiastic and wholesome it’s hard not to like him and he’s very talented.

stuey
    Free Member

Judge Doug ‘loves’ knife play too much 🙂
    But David Baker is scary.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

My fav programme. In fact watching an episode just now. Very into my wild camping and this fits.

When i am rich i am buying a j neilson or a josh smith dmascus.

grahamt1980

Saw a thread on reddit where they were saying they think j neilson is juicing as he is getting bigger as the series go on

CountZero

I’ve watched a few, and the results are often pretty crude, but I guess with the time constraints that’s to be expected, really. One of the underlying principles of knife making is K.I.S.S. – Keep It Simple Stupid, but there is a tendency to try to make something a bit more exotic, which usually falls on it’s ass!

CheesybeanZ

I guess we get edited episodes , I’ve seen ballistic dummies and what looked like goat carcass hanging in the background but no footage shown of them being used for the tests.

“Your knife will cut ”

teethgrinder

If you like Forged in Fire, check out Knight Fight. Blokes in amour twatting each other with weapons.

It’s like a human Robot Wars.

longdog
    Free Member

I thought knight fight was boring as hell, I guess it shows his unrealistic swashbuckling fight scenes in movies are though. Just blokes in loads of armour getting knackered very quickly trying to smash each other down with blunt weapons.

I’m a big fan of forged in fire, though sometimes I think they spoil it by making the challenges just too difficult to be done properly in the time scale. Alex of forged in Steele fame tried to do a knife in his one forge with all his own tools and a decent bit of steel in the FiF time limit and failed.

There have been some nice looking knives come out of the first round though, and then they try to destroy them which makes me cringe.

My favorite forged in fire I think was the recent slasher movie grim reaper special. Lots of ‘It will kill’ lol!

cdoc
    Free Member

Kind of agree on the timescale, but then, the example weapons at the beginning of the challenges are made within the time limit by the judges to ensure that it is possible. Dave Baker makes all of the historical weaponry, which always look amazing!

weeksy

Really enjoy it. We in UK used to get the full version with chopping up animals but they seem to edit them bits out now.

Doesn’t stop me watching though

longdog
    Free Member

Ah didn’t realise that Dcoc! It’s just things like the last one where they had to make the coal forge first and do it outside meant that they were pretty much heading for disaster.

Great program though, even my wife occasionally gets drawn in commenting on it.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Missing Forged in Fire a but after I cancelled sky. Hoping one of the streaming services picks it up.

Quite enjoy this guy’s channel on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUSzVcnVuH0lVzyZh7HPsTA

Production is quite good and I find informative even though I’m never going to make a knife. Mountain biker too.

matt_outandabout

Alec Steele on YouTube is a much better watch for all this – skilled, enthusiastic, great at explaining what’s going on. Great things he turns out.

bish

How ever many hundred channels on sky and it’s the only thing worth watching. My plan when I win the lottery is to build a forge in one of my many outbuildings and make rubbish knives all day.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

The kill test is only shown on episodes late night.

I also miss jason knight, he was a proper dude.

WillH

Never heard of Forged in Fire or Alec Steele, both look good. Seems there’s plenty of both on YouTube, too.

On a loosely-related note, there’s a good series of videos on YouTube where Adam Savage (MythBusters, Tested) learns how to make a full suit of armour from a guy who makes them for the movie industry. Lots of interesting metalwork techniques on show.

CheesybeanZ

I also miss jason knight, he was a proper dude.

I’ve seen a few episodes with him , seems a proper bloke .
    The English bloke who is now a judge doesn’t fit in like the others.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’m a Forged in Fire fan to, often wishing they had a bit more time for some of the rounds though (and some of the challenges involving various themed scrap metal stretch things a bit far). They all need bigger home forges and quench tanks to…

Alec Steele is a good watch, he has a program to (possibly on Discovery as well). I like the honesty when he messes up and you get more of a sense of how much work goes into it than in Forged in Fire. I wish he didn’t do Damascus steel every time though…

stu170
    Free Member

I’ve recently got into smithing as a hobby, bikes have definitely taken a back seat this past year.
    Any who states that anything on FinF in crude, really should have a go. In a year of learning I can knock out some nice fire pokers and hooks, but way off knives and even layered steel.
    Great hobby, and as with bikes can spend as much or as little as you like.

CheesybeanZ

New series staring this week called
    “The Butcher ”
    Trailer looks interesting.

Drac

What’s it about?

CheesybeanZ

Boris Johnsons time as PM

Drac

Ah! Quite a short series then.

CountZero

Ah! Quite a short series then.

Boom, and indeed, tish! 😁

CheesybeanZ

Let’s hope so 😆

CheesybeanZ

Its winterish so started watching Forged again , why do the yanks insist on calling a Bowie knife a BoooE, you don’t tie your laces in a boo or wear a boo tie .

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bowie is my surname.

Everyone up here, including me, pronounces it like Howie, not Bow as in bow tie!

Cougar
    Joe

Love it also.

jwt
    Free Member

The episode where the guy who won used a satellite dish in his home forge and got a warning from the local fire department was brilliant, he had absolutely no budget but still won having made an awesome job and deserved the $10k!

kayak23

To rhyme with this?

I don’t think anyone pronounces it like seal.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Forged in Fire’ is closed to new replies.