Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Forest of Dean,riding and camping advice sort
  • JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I was planning to go to the Lakes this weekend but the weather forecast looks distinctly better further south so me and a mate are changing our plans and looking at the Forest of Dean as a destination. Looking for suggestions as to the best nearby town to stay, preferably with good pubs and suggestions for cheapish accomadation campsites and the best riding.

davidxbrown
    Free Member

For camping this site is near the trails, a town and pubs and has looked after many a mountain bike group over the years.

http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/england/forest-of-dean/bracelands-campsite

bullandbladder
    Free Member

+1 for Bracelands. It’s a few K’s from the bike centre, but you can get there almost entirely off road (via Berry Hill and an OS map). There is also plenty to play on nearer to the campsite, you just need to explore. My advice would be to save the campsite side for the afternoon/evening, and end your ride at the Saracen’s Head down by the river near Symonds Yat. The landlord (Pete), if he still runs the place is a rider, so you’ll be made welcome. Take lights with you – you’ll be drunk and it’s a long pull back up to the campsite! 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

+1 to Bracelands + Saracen’s Head 🙂

bigh
    Free Member

Be advised the cannop cycle centre (pedalabike) will be fairly rammed saturday and totally full on sunday due to a dh event. Dont let that put you off though:-)

psling
    Free Member

As others have said above, Bracelands is a good site & Saracen’s Head a good pub (Yes, Pete is still owner and still a good chap 8) ). Good slog back up the hill though! (There’s also a small camp site next to the Saracen’s Head in Symonds Yat East, popular with canoeists).

Good riding close to the campsite although some parts of Highmeadow Woods are now being harvested 🙁

Like bigh says, DTV DH event at Pedalabikeaway on Sunday so will be rammed there, plenty of other riding though. Forecast is good, enjoy 8)

fodmtb
    Free Member
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Forest of Dean,riding and camping advice sort’ is closed to new replies.