Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Ford focus engine replacment ?
  • adt
    Free Member

If the engine and turbo are knackered when it arrives back from Switzerland how much am I looking at to repair ?its an 03 tdci ,is it worth repairing or should I buy a new car ,I know its not going to be cheap

zokes
    Free Member

More info would help, but a new turbo on my 51-plate Mondeo TDCi was £900 🙁

steveh

It won't be worth buying a new one that's for sure. Your best bet would be to get an engine from another focus that's been written off in a rear end shunt.

Used engines are available for about 500 on ebay. In reality though it depends what's wrong with it. Do you have a regular garage you can take it too for an opinion?

scraprider
    Free Member

jeez how much to get it back from switzerland mate or did you drive it back.i would have thought recovery cost would make the car not worth repairing.but yes engine and turbo, could be looking at 1500 squid min, imo

adt
    Free Member

Luckily I upgraded the breakdown cover before I went over there so Greenflag are towing it back they call it repatriaton ,they also paid for minibus from Verbier to Geneva,flights for my family and a hire car from the Airport talk about good service,its going to my mates garage but was just wondering if anybody had replaced both, it just made a weird noise then loads of smoke ,then when mechanic turned up he restarted it and it ran o.k for a few seconds then revs stuck on and wouldnt turn off and had to stall it by putting it in gear .

rich-6
    Free Member

Personally i dont thing your engines nackered, That is assuming it didnt go to silly revs before you stalled it. Its just running on its own oil hence why the revs went crazy,

Id probrably say at the most a new turbo, It may be something as small as a gasket or an oil seal has failed on the turbo causing the excessive smoke

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I agree Turbo oil seal, I've read reports of the engine revving on just spilt turbo charger coolant oil getting into the manifold. Doubt it'll be an engine, More like a turbo oil seal or perhaps a charger, look about for a scraped one while it waits to come home if your mate will be doing the work.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

As rich-6 says your car went in to run away which is where it starts to run on its oil. this is often through the oil seals on the turbo. By stalling the car the engine should have been saved from any damage as its normally them seizing due to lack of oil that causes the damage.
    If you get the turbo replaced then make sure that the intercooler and pipe work is all flushed out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Ford focus engine replacment ?’ is closed to new replies.