Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • For those sans vices, is this a single or three phase motor?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I posted this over on the vice thread.

Is this a single or three phase motor. it’s on a Meddings drill.

It has four wires leading to it, the drill. The drill has a reverse switch too.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/69024_10201005917055309_2027950369_n.jpg[/img]

bencooper
    Free Member

Single 😉

Madfly
    Free Member

It’s 230v and 50hz, It also states 1 phase mid way down the plate so i’d take that as a yes.

Has someone use the wrong wire to connect it? Drop the connector plate off the bottom, more than likely you find one of the wires is unused im guessing…

nickjb
    Free Member

On the plate it says ‘phase – 1’ so I’ll go with single phase.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That’s good news, I will have a look under the plate later. Thanks.

bencooper
    Free Member

There is such a thing as single-phase four-wire wiring. Never used it myself, so don’t know if it’s bodgable to standard three-wire.

footflaps

I’d be amazed if it was 3 phase, you don’t need that much current for a drill of that size.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think probably you can wire it up ignoring the white if you don’t want to use reverse. You’d need to open it up to check how the switch is wired to be sure.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It is single phase

Blue wire isnt connected to owt inside. Its cut at the insulation.

Checked out the wiring switch to the poles with the continuety tester

She is wired as i thought – hooked it up to a plug put it in and it all works just grand.

Need to see if i can get the same shade of blue and a new v belt from somewhere and it will probably outlast me

Mentioned to the fellas in maintainance i had it and they are goin to score me a heap of morse taper drill bits foc as our pillar drills gone to the wall and not been replaced.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh and its not a reverse switch – that is jus on off.

Reverse is achieved by dropping the plate off and reversing the live poles…… For all the left hand drill bits i hae …..

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Trail Rat post up your vid of it running.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Later i am on phone in garage just now. Battening down all hatches ….. Fair sure just had a fecked crv full of pikeys case the house…..stopped outside for ages and. Sped off when i walked out with the camera phone pointed at em ……

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://youtu.be/avzplEgkTNc

http://youtu.be/elgReQqymQQ

My first video posts so this may or may not work :/(edit – it didnt work so have urls instead)

Finally repaired the star arbour yesterday – twas sticky going down and wouldnt return – mcmoonter did show me this before i bought it and being as old as it is i knew there was very little in it to cause this)

Turned out it was a swollen nylon bush – so ive resized it and rebuilt now its a 1 finger operation !

Job jobbed

Bargain , cheers peter

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘For those sans vices, is this a single or three phase motor?’ is closed to new replies.