Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,678 total)
  • Football – 2023/24 Season
  • binners

Which has just reminded me, the return of the long-running comedy ‘Sunderland til I Die’ has just landed on Netflix. That should provide much hilarity.

I do have a Sunderland supporting mate, exiled in Manchester, who never made it through the first episode of the first series as he was absolutely apoplectic after about 10 minutes and to subject himself to any more risked the telly going out of the window

gobuchul
    Free Member

I’ve watched the 1st 2 series about 3 times.

The 1st one is hilarious.

Especially as the producers are massive Sunderland fans and thought they were going to record a promotion push.

martinhutch

Maybe if the Sunderland boss just ignores the sacking, it will go away?

ElShalimo

Hodgson gone

Palace looking for a new boss

theotherjonv

Heart leapt for a moment there, given he’d been in hospital last week.

Not gone gone, fired gone.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

It’s a mystery that the same old failed managers get rehired again and again 🤷‍♂️

ElShalimo

Hodgson was successful last season. He kept them up

ransos
    Free Member

Hodgson was successful last season. He kept them up

He did, although he had a run of much easier games than Viera had.

Caher

Yep Roy’s gone. He’ll be back next season mind.

muggomagic

Palace looking for a new boss

They had already agreed a deal with Glasner to take over before Roy before he was taken ill, just had to wait for him to be discharged from hospital before they could sack him.

ElShalimo

That new Palace boss is a talented chap

rogermoore

Crazy stuff at the business end of the championship! Southampton losing again after their amazing run of form , Ipswich grabbing a winner after being hauled back to 3-3 in stoppage time. 2 pts and a little bit of goal difference between 2nd and 4th place.
    All this before Leeds v Leicester on Friday night at Elland Road. Can’t wait!!
    RM.

johndoh
    Free Member

Bonkers – as a Leeds fan, I was following tonight’s games almost as much as I usually do ours. But, never mind the final scores, we are now 2nd and it’s in our hands – it’s been a couple of months since we’ve been in that position. Fingers crossed we don’t blow it all on Friday night.

Caher

The Berkshire Behemoth has moved from the depths of despair to mid table obscurity. The fightback has begun.

dander

You gotta love the Championship!

MoreCashThanDash

Ipswich grabbing a winner after being hauled back to 3-3 in stoppage time

A night of mixed emotions folliwing the live feed last night.

Thank God Ipswich built up a 10 point cushion before the traditional new year collapse.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thank God Ipswich built up a 10 point cushion before the traditional new year collapse.

Ipswich were always going to struggle with their squad in the Championship – they just don’t have the strength in depth that the likes of Leeds/Southampton/Leicester have. Whatever happens this season from now on in, it does have to be looked at as a success.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Depending on what happens at the weekend, the entire top 4 in the championship could be separated by 8 points which is mental when you think Leicester were what, 15 points clear or something at one point and Ipswich similarly flying. Unlucky for Rotherham last night – I doubt there have been many games this season that they’ve scored 3 goals but to score 3 against a top 4 side and then lose… thats harsh.

Friday night at Leeds is going to be proper tasty…

binners

The Championship surely has to be the most bonkers league in the world? Its certainly the hardest to get out of. Teams are up and down like yoyo’s. Makes for entertaining football though as its so competitive

johndoh
    Free Member

Friday night at Leeds is going to be proper tasty…

Yep – I am looking forward to and dreading it in equal measures right now. Unfortunately Bamford is still out and he is exactly the sort of player we need for this sort of game. Still, we have some in-form players at the moment.

MoreCashThanDash

Ipswich were always going to struggle with their squad in the Championship – they just don’t have the strength in depth that the likes of Leeds/Southampton/Leicester have. Whatever happens this season from now on in, it does have to be looked at as a success.

I was hoping to finish fourth from bottom snd stay up. Anything better is a bonus.

swdan
    Free Member

I agree with you there Morecashthandash. I couldn’t help but get excited in November and therefore feeling disappointed earlier this year but the reality is that this has already been an amazing season and it’s far from over yet.

Caher

Reading’s natural home is the championship, league one is for market towns with other competing sports.
    The Championship should be sponsored by Rentakill, it really is like rats in a sack.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The Championship surely has to be the most bonkers league in the world? Its certainly the hardest to get out of. Teams are up and down like yoyo’s. Makes for entertaining football though as its so competitive

I absolutely love the championship. It all feels a little bit more “real” vs the premiership with its oil money, VAR, plastic fans, idiots like Danny Murphy commentating etc but ultimately gaining promotion from the championship is the goal. When Leeds got relegated last season, at no point did I think “oh god, not the championship again” – as a fan, I looked forward to that far more than another season of playing at massive, silent stadiums with fans politely applauding stuff, Chelsea fans singing “Chelsea, Chelsea” for 10 minutes of a 90 minute game etc. Smaller, packed stadiums full of atmosphere and sometimes raw hatred with some really good football being played.

johndoh
    Free Member

When Leeds got relegated last season, at no point did I think “oh god, not the championship again”

Yeah, I absolutely agree with that sentiment. However, now we are in a position where we could get promoted again, I would be disappointed if we fail to achieve it.

theotherjonv

I’ve said the same, the first season (ever) reading made it into the Premier League was magnificent, seeing superstars week in week out, and we were decent and even in with a shout of Europe until quite late on. Sir Steve Coppell in charge, upsetting other teams because of a refusal to play the game and roll over for their big names…. a great time

Second season – not so much. We got found out and countered, we lost some key players and it was a struggle. By autumn, it was just avoiding getting badly beaten against the top half, try to get something against the 11-15, and then you’re in a mini survival league where you had to win, or at least avoid defeat against 16-20. A real dirge of thinking where could we get 3 points out of the next 12 on offer, and then maybe we’ll still be in touch for a couple of ‘easier’ games.

Of course, would love to be back, but can’t quite make out why?

ElShalimo

Tuchel to leave at the end of the season  as part of “a sporting realignment” at Bayern.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68301718

Now where is that angry Pepperami Tuchel meme?

argee

I find football depressing these days, the money, media and governance is just daft now, every year it gets more about how to squeeze a few more quid out of it, rather than improving it throughout, i struggle to watch a game start to finish as well these days, especially cup games as they just seem pointless these days.

cheers_drive

so Liverpool, Bayern and Barcelona all looking for a manager at the same time.

binners

martinhutch

Bayern will be trying everything to tempt Klopp away from the ‘me-time’ he wanted instead of football management.

dander

A ‘sporting realignment.’ You what??!! They’ll be needing David Brent.

Reckon Alonso can pick between Liverpool, Bayern and Barca, assuming he leaves. Surely Barca third choice given his Madrid links and then being pretty shambolic off the park.

ElShalimo

I can’t see Klopp at Bayern, that’s like going from Celtic to Rangers. They really don’t like each other and why spoil his legacy?

argee

If Klopp went to Bayern it would make his return to Germany pretty stressful, not something you’d expect for a guy taking a step back to enjoy life, i doubt Liverpool fans would be happy either that he went straight into another gig.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Is Tuchel a bit toxic or something? I couldn’t figure out why on earth Chelsea got shot so quick after winning the CL and now Bayern are doing the same after winning the Bundesliga last year. Yes they’re behind Dortmund but is that really a reason to not keep him on given how successful a manager he is?

Jesse Marsch, tactical genius, is still out of work…

honourablegeorge

DaveyBoyWonder

Is Tuchel a bit toxic or something?

Very, apparently Kimmich and his assistant Manager had to be pulled apart when Kimmich was subbed off recently. Tuchel is just a weird character, seems everyone falls out with him

pothead
    Free Member

Yes they’re behind Dortmund

Behind Leverkusen, Dortmund are 4th

ElShalimo

Tuchel is a bit of a tool by the accounts that have come out of every club he’s been at. Also he was Dortmund manager, why take the Bayern job knowing about the rivalry?

I don’t think he won the Chumps league at Chelsea thru tactical acumen – Pep lost it by bizarrely not playing Rodri or Fernandinho in CM. WTAF ?!?!?!? Any game decided by a Havertz goal must be a bit of shitshow plus Rudiger’s shithousery – it wasn’t a classic but they rarely are.

MSP

I see uniteds savour is now testing the water about the return of Mason Greenwood.

Caher

If you’re into some top shithousery then Porto is giving a master class. 20 years ago Celtic was beaten by the same ‘housery.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,881 through 1,920 (of 2,678 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.