Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Flip over chop/table saw
  • astura
    Free Member

I have limited space in my shed  so have been looking at these to get the best of both worlds.

what are people’s reviews on these – iv seen Dewalt and Makita look like they do a good one, they are pretty pricey new are they pretty solid if I go second hand?

Thanks

dyna-ti

It’s always going to be pot luck 2nd hand, though you can offset that by looking for something thats in as good a cosmetic condition as poss’.

Thats about all the advice i can offer, other than opt for dewalt or makita over any other.

trail_rat
    Free Member

DeWalt bought elu.

I’ve answered elu from 1992 bought used.

I bought a used elu because my old man ran his business for 30 years from the same model elu – that he bought used.

The DeWalt dw743n is almost exactly the same as my elu.

kayak23

I’ve never used that type of saw but can imagine that they’d be a compromise on both counts.

You’re ok with that for what you need so all is good I suppose.

I’d go Makita over DeWalt personally. Everything I’ve used of DeWalt has felt a little more brutish and less refined than similar Makita, though this could be my own confirmation bias 🙂

No reason not to go second hand but be wary of condition. You can tell if a tool has been looked after.

maccruiskeen

I’m not sure its true to say they’re ‘best of both’ – aspects of both is probably more accurate. And as a combined machine, new at least, they maybe cost as much or  more than two decent more functional individual tools.

Space might be constrained but – you can only use the flip over as one tool or the other at any given point. So you could own one of each of a mitre saw and table saw and only have the one you want to use in play and put the other away.

In its role as a mitre saw the flip over saws are much more space hungry than a stand alone tool. A regular bench top table saw can be incorporated into a bench and in effect take up no space at all. A flip over is less portable and storable than either of the individual tools too.

If space really is an issue, rather than a flip over the other option is combination saws like the Bosch GTM 12. – one of those and a rail saw would cover more bases in a confined space

blokeuptheroad

Not exactly the same, but I’ve mounted a table saw and a mitre saw on the same bench, with the mitre saw on a flip over section. It works well for me.  Only a cheapo Evolution mitre saw mind, don’t judge me..!

PXL_20240506_070857752PXL_20240506_070827883

dyna-ti

If space really is an issue, rather than a flip over the other option is combination saws like the Bosch GTM 12. – one of those and a rail saw would cover more bases in a confined space

A good idea, though capacities are limited. More the floor layers tool or maybe picture framing id have thought. But for powered cuts certainly it will do the job.

Don’t like the blade guard if this is indicative of how a new one behaves(3:40), too slow to cover the blade after the cut, and if thats new, how is it going to be after a couple of years use 😕 – edit – its probably fine, just seems a bit on the slow side.

The solution is clear. Build a new bigger shed.

Other possibilities. – Just a table saw with a cross cut sled

pk13

Up and overs are the perfect site saw the blade is small diameter thou 310mm from memory on the elu/ DeWalt clone.

They work well at what they do, are surprisingly accurate on the mitre saw front and will rip up to 30mm softwood with ease 20mm hardwood flooring ect.

They are however top heavy when used as a rip saw you need to stop it rocking on the legs  dust extraction is non existent on the older models due to the fact it’s a upside down chop/rip saw.

I had one for second fix house bashing and could not fault it.

astura
    Free Member

Fab thanks for the replies – which one did you have the Dewalt or the Makita, I spoke to a friend who said the Makita was good – wondered if the Dewalt was similar, as more Dewalts available?

pk13

Ive had both the elu one and a DeWalt.

Elu have long since gone to the big power tool shop in the sky.

The DeWalt was less refined cheaper metal pressing ect but no real difference tbh.

I’ve not used a Makita one for long enough to compare the like for likeness However my Makita non siding chop saw is fantastic.

My sliding mitre saw is Electra Beckum but huge storage wise

pk13

A quick Google suggested wolf still make them but for the love of God don’t do that Screenshot_20240506-193643

maccruiskeen

but for the love of God don’t do that

……without filming it an unloading YouTube

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM