Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Flat pedals that last?
  • scruff
    Free Member

One thing I go through quickly are pedal internals, have rebuilt my superstars but after a few months they’re wobbling again.
    Been through Shimano, Nukeproofs etc so I’m after something probably with chunkier axles / bearings / bushings and not looking for thinner platforms, want to spend less than £100.

dogbone

I ended up with Hope pedals, which have been bullet-proof for me.

honourablegeorge

Should be able to find Burgtec Mk4s for £80 or so, or the new Mk5s will be a tenner over your budget.

tish
    Free Member

I’ve had two sets of burgtec composites fail quickly, bushings worn. I put the first one down to being unlucky but second gone after 2 months as well. I love the feel of them but I’ll be trying something else next. My superstars were bulletproof I only changed because they went on a bike I sold.

mehr
    Free Member

My original Brendog vaults were faultless for 5 years, I only replaced them as I saw a decent deal for a new pair

fooman

Most flat pedals use bushes instead of bearings, for me bushes wear out in short order, so I picked up OneUp Alloy Pedals and went from about 4 rebuilds / replacements a year to once in 18 months.

goby

Classic dmr v8 with the loose balls, mine still going even now

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Burgtecs, mk4, not tried composites or mk5 yet, but I will.

They are awesome, like vaults but not manufactured by Kraft. 🙂

dc1988

Shimano should last forever if you keep on top of servicing, only takes a few minutes to add some grease and check the cup and cones are adjusted correctly

TheBrick
    Free Member

Classic dmr v8 with the loose balls, mine still going even now

I even run wellgo copies. Not trendy but replaceable pins, proper bearing work well.

core

Yep, Wellgo DMR copies, I’ve two sets that are years old and running lovely with zero maintenance. Superstar nano are nicer but needed a rebuild in a fraction of the time.

richardkennerley

I’ve only serviced my dmr vaults onxe in 7 years and they’re still going strong!

Northwind

When superstars and similar go wobbly it’s usually just because the end caps are loose, 2 minute fix?

You can also do the speed service thing- take the end caps off, fill them with grease, put them back on- as you tighten the end caps down it forces grease right through the pedal

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Had the Burgtec comps for 2 months but my bike got nicked. New bike has large platform XTs with long shin killing pins fitted. So far so good.

Rubber_Buccaneer

When superstars and similar go wobbly it’s usually just because the end caps are loose, 2 minute fix?

My experience of Superstar Nano-X it’s the bushing gone so a 10 minute fix

1knott4me
    Free Member

I can’t recommend the burgtecs at all due to there very narrow q factor there just isn’t the stability on the bike that a decent q factor gives you.not even the new ones address this enough but they are well made .
    Dmr just don’t cut it for me in terms of durability there high price does sadly not equate to longevity.
    The original superstars were absolutely bombproof and were just a simple of the peg Taiwanese rebranded pedal .
    Once superstar started making there own in the UK you could still get them from Ireland branded as move pedals.now you have to but then branded as exotic pedals direct from them and they are by for the best pedals for grip and longevity.one downside is they use grub screws rather than threw pins but there less than £40

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I have been running these for years with no issues at all. Fantastic pedals. (I know CB reputation) Like you, went through Nukeproof/DMR/Shimano but these are just great
    https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/crankbrothers-5050-2?s=googleshoppingppc&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiARIsAHHzyZpxH-tqFrhA3sgftZS-0uubS7mPhId7198DZ_sDLR28YibBQatxmNcaAlIoEALw_wcB

bsims
    Free Member

Both pairs of vaults have been faultless – 6 and almost 4 years. Both sets have been submerged in water, the older pair estuarine water several times.

ampthill

My Vaults were loose in 6 months and I really don’t ride that much….

They are on a bike that’s been ridden mainly on the road

gkeeffe

My vaults went wobbly in a couple of rides Filled them with marine grease and tightened them up and have been ok all winter.

frogstomp

Nukeproof Horizons holding up well here after 3+ years.. way better than the Electrons they replaced and the old Superstar peals before them.

prezet
    Free Member

My HT composites have been good. But will try the OneUp composites next I think.

weeksy

Welgo B-54. I think they must be 10 years old now.

joebristol

The Exotic branded pedals from cabin cycles as mentioned above are pretty good. The Suoerstar Znano Evo’s I have are a touch grippier but the bearings on the exotics are still going strong 3 years in. They’ve also shrugged off rock strikes with no issues.

Tbf I’ve also got some old wellgo mg-1’s that look in a right state but the original bearings are still smooth.

patagonian
    Free Member

My original Wellgo MG-1’s lasted over 10 years and ended up on my daily commuter and I can’t remember ever taking them apart. I think they are still in the spares box and only got relegated when a replacement bike cam along because they looked so tatty.

thelooseone

I’m running Chromag Scarabs, bought and fitted to the single speed in Jul 18, no wear to the bushings yet. They have double seals at the bushing end and are a good size with lots of grip. They are the best and longest lasting pedals i’ve owned so far.

Previously had DMR Vaults (great grip but snapped an axle going uphill and the bushings wore – poor seals), Fireeye Grills (poor seals, the bushing wore and one bushing started to come out of one pedal) and Superstar Nanos (the grip and platform size wasn’t great so relegated to the commuter, they are still going strong).

goby

Yep agree with the seals on the vaults, can never get one of mine to stay in! I did follow another thread and bought a few sets of igus bushes for the pedals and simple to change when go wobbly. Original V8’s still my fav though

big_scot_nanny

The seals on the DMR Vaults are indeed not great.

However, occasional greasing keeps things running smoothly. I just replaced the bushes last night after 3yrs of constant use and abuse, pedals feel nice and ‘tight’ again (they were getting a bit rattly!).

I like them, have found almost every set of flat pedals I’ve had over the years fails in a major way, but not the vaults.

snotrag

One-up composites here, nearly 2 years old, no issues. Smashed them off all sorts too, they stand up a lot better than alloy. And light too!

OneUp Composite flat pedal review

scruff
    Free Member

Surprised at the recommendation for shimanos, the worst of the lot IME. And that includes the spds as well.

chakaping
    Free Member

My experience of Superstar Nano-X it’s the bushing gone so a 10 minute fix

+1

I expect them to launch a Nano X Evo Evo at some point, with improvement in that regard.

Shame they have lost the reliability of the old Taiwan-made Nanos, but I still buy them anyway.

chakaping
    Free Member
    mildred

Welgo B-54. I think they must be 10 years old now.

Same here – bought mine from CRC for about £20 & they’ve never been touched, look gash but still tight and running smooth.

That said, I’ve recently bought some burgtec penthouse mk4 steel from Leisure Lakes for about £60. They do have a low q-factor but the large body helps make up for this; they’ve got ridiculously tight bushes/bearings, which after about 200 miles I’m still waiting to slacken off. They feel and look very well made some I’m expecting to have them a long time.

SimonR

Loved the Vaults for the grip but got fed up of rebuilding them – now on Hopes and they’re running really nicely still.

Neb

The original Superstar nanos were great, they lasted for years.

I’ve had a similar dilemma, my recent pedals (DMR vaults x2, V12s, superstar deltas, nano evos) seem to rattle really quickly through worn bushes. The sealing on them is rubbish. It is very wet up here in the lakes (if I didn’t ride in the rain then I’d never ride!)

I did loads of research and settled on the one-up composites. The sealing is significantly better then the other pedals, they are cheap and light. I’ve been impressed so far.

thegman67

Hope pedals,I am a big lad and they have been bombproof

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Burgtecs Mk4’s have slight play after 5/6 months, Brendogs lasted about 12 months before developing play.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I really like my Vaults. Last pretty well, easy to perk them up with a fill of fresh grease or to rebuild.

In contrast, the RaceFace Atlas I got because I thought full bearing pedals would be good have been a royal PITA. The large bearing only managed a handful of rides before crapping out, irrespective of bearing quality and they’ve spat the axle out twice.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals that last?’ is closed to new replies.