Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Flat new pedals time: what's hot, what ya got?
  • saxabar
    Free Member

Well, the impetus for new pedals came from dislike of the Saints. Agreed that they are “tall” and thick feeling. Also not as grippy as others, but I’ve taken the washers off the pins and swapped the Saints for the Nanos on the lesser-used HT.

See how it goes on the HT. I do fancy the Burgtecs though…

sillyoldman

Gamuts look amazing. Due next month.

saxabar
    Free Member

Agreed, very pretty! (And my Alpine is black)

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve been running Vaults and old Kona Wahwahs – identical in all but name to one of the Superstar variants. The Vaults are a nicer shape, although there’s not an enormous amount in it. The Vault bushings have given me problems though – they died after the first wet ride and it’s been a constant battle since then to keep them running halfway sweetly. As of yesterday, I’ve just fitted them with greaseports, so we’ll see what happens now.

sillyoldman

The Gamuts have changed a little since then. Body is now forged for strength.

Pics in STW IceBike coverage:-

matther01
    Free Member

Used to use superstar, but after getting a nearly new pair of Vaults can’t see me going back. Used to get foot pain with the superstars from time to time too. Ubyk are pretty good price wise for them…although the gamuts above look nice. £99 at freeflow too.

ticsmon
    Big-M
    Free Member

New V12’s got a pair for my lad, he didn’t ride Saturday so I ‘tested’ them for him, really liked them and a bit of shopping around you’ll get them for £30 odd quid. I’d really like to try the Boomslangs though, they look like they could be great.

vorlich
    Free Member

I like Saints. I have the Nukeproof plastic ones on the fatbike and don’t really like the axle ridge, but don’t really notice it any more if I’m being honest. Chromag do some lovely looking flats.

andy4d

I have had my mooves for 2 years now and love em. Been faultless other than a bust pin or two which were no bother to replace being thro pin.

Northwind

The Mooves are just another rebrand of the Nano, same pedal as superstar, nukeproof, fatty’s flatties etc. Which is good obviously

Speeder

I’ve got Point Ones which are what has become the Gamuts and think they’re great. A nice big flat (side to side) platform with a nice front to back concave that’s not dissimilar to my old Culleys (the best pedal ever before these low profile ones came in) but with a nice bump on the inside which locates your foot nicely and a super low profile (11mm?) that probably does something (I’m not getting sucked into the propaganda)

If they can resolve the bearing issues I’ve heard about (mine don’t get ridden enough to have issues) the new Gamuts will be incredible pedals. Can’t imagine them being cheap though, mine were getting on for £150 at retail (mine were 2nd hand as I’m not made of money) and I doubt the refinements will have dropped the price by much.

I’m sure that all the other pedals are however great and I’d be very tempted by the Hopes even if it’s just because of the backup service.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Hope F20s on my bike. Comfy on the feet and good grip.

hatter

I doubt the refinements will have dropped the price by much.

They’ll be £109.99 according to Singletrack’s Icebike coverage

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Superstar Nano Thru’s, seem pretty decent to me so far, grip well, but not had them long so can’t say how well they last. Suspect the bush will be the weak link, time will tell!!

wrecker
    Free Member

Anyone actually have a set of the new Burgtecs? Any user reviews?
    I had point1 podiums previously and loved the grip but the maintenance requirements were excessive, and as a result they failed on me a couple of times (I chucked them in the bin after the last time).
    Looking at the new burgtecs, perhaps the boomslangs (although put off with the lack of pics of teh inside of the trapdoor).
    I won’t be buying superstars, and the vaults have never done anything for me, but anything else to look at?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Canfield crampon ultimates? Fella had a set going cheap on retrobike a few weeks back. I liked mine, but have to say I prefer the V12’s that replaced them.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Spank Spikes/Oozy’s.

I get on with them really well, they have proper hearings. Never had an issue with them. They are almost as thin as the Gamuts and prettier than the new forged ones.

360g for the Ooozy without the titanium axles.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/spank-oozy-trail-flat-pedals-review-2014.html

^^ Review

warpcow
    Free Member

I was pretty set on Burgtecs before I got my hands on a set in my LBS. The platform sits pretty much flush to the crank arm meaning, for me, that the whole platform wouldn’t really be usable. Hopes seemed like a good trade of in terms of size and bombproofery (and my LBS were very accomodating on the price).

tmb467
    Free Member

I’ve got the burgtecs – but not fitted em yet

Platform is mahoosive tho, so if you cant get comfortable on em, you must have massive feet, or have really narrow hips

mikertroid
    Free Member

Have 2 pairs of Nanos and they’re great but I would go for the thru pins in future.

Also have a set of saints; need to remove the washers to get more grip from the pins but have been without fault in a year of very hard (but totally dry) riding overseas.

ichi
    Free Member

Got Saints on me current setup with some SS Nano Thrupins waiting for a bearing service and some Kona Wah Wahs as my backup. Someone above mentioned Saints being tall, not sure about that, they do look chunky in photos but in the flesh are no thicker than Nanos or Nukeproof. They do have a smaller contact patch though but big enough for size 10 Five 10s.

jonnym92

Saints for me, though I admit I haven’t tried any of the others mentioned.

My saints have taken a beating and still smooth and grippy, take the washers out of the grub screws though.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Oh aye, I probably should have said, I’m just a size 9 foot and quite narrow so the massive vault platform isn’t the advantage it could be, if you’re bigger or you like to stand wider on the pedals I’m sure that comes into its own

Yep – nanos used give me sore feet, wider platform of the Vualts really helped.

jamesy1984
    Free Member

Dmr vaults for me, plenty of grip, nice thin wide platform to rail it round the corners! Only gripe is the I lost a few pins on the first few rides even after I’d tweeked them up

thursdayshirts
    Free Member

Saints for me, I’ve got three pairs now. They’ve a nice concave shape, they are actually quite thin, have a good platform size, bearings last if you look after them and they’re only about 30 bucks. Super grippy if you take the washers off. I had superstars and burgtec mkIII’s, the saint beats them hands down.

edit: also really easy to service once they get a little bit of slop in the bearings.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I’ll 2nd/3rd/4th the Burgtec Penthouse Flats. I used to use Easton flatboys as I like a large slightly concave pedal, the burgtecs are even better; perfect amount of concave without really flexing your foot, massive platform and sit really close to the crank arm. Massively grippy Great for DH etc.

Oh and if you get the Ti axle version really rather light!

Marin
    Free Member

Just got some Superstar Nanos. Only ridden once but first flats in 15 years and feel fine. Very grippy coming down Drum Mountain last weekend.See if still that way after a day at Bike Park Wales tomorrow.

honourablegeorge

Gamuts look to be using the same bearing setup as the old Point One Podiums they;re based on – that is not good.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Flat new pedals time: what's hot, what ya got?’ is closed to new replies.