Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Flat new pedals time: what's hot, what ya got?
  • saxabar
    Free Member

I’m leaning towards Superstars or Nukeproof as I have these on other bikes. Anything better? Happy to spend up to £100. Will be going on an Alpine 160 (with a rider on top prone to pedal strikes).

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve got Nanos and Hope F20s. The Hopes are lovely and marginally better, but the Nanos really are unbeatable value.

antares
    Free Member

Vaults every time

gogg
    Free Member

I got a very good deal on the Race Face Atlas from my LBS Summit to Sea and have been very pleased with them as a replacement for my Sunline V-Two pedals, nearly did Vaults, but the Atlas were SO shiny…

lawton1987
    Free Member

Second vote for vaults.

saxabar
    Free Member

A few curveball suggestions there. The Hopes are certainly lookers.

deviant
    Free Member

Currently have the plastic Nukeproof ones on my hardtail, they’re really good!
    I was skeptical but people on here kept recommending them and they were only £30 so I thought why not?!

They’re better than any metal flats I’ve had (Kona Wah-Wahs, Superstar Nanos, V8s etc)..,,

akira

Burgtec penthouse mark IV. Just under budget but a quality pedal.

svalgis
    Free Member

Plastic Nukeproof are good except for the protruding axle. They supposedly fixed this for the new model (Electron Evo) – waiting for a pair myself.

qtip

Burgtec would be my first choice, Vaults second. My preferences may be due to having wide size 12 feet though. Vaults grip great but the quality doesn’t compare to Burgtec, and the latest Burgtecs are not the weight penalty that my Mk IIs are.

dallas95
    Free Member

Plastic Nukeproof are good except for the protruding axle. They supposedly fixed this for the new model (Electron Evo) – waiting for a pair myself.

Ditto!

Light, strong and don’t look scruffy after strikes as the plastic is coloured right through the body. Could do with a few more pins if I was to be picky but for the price I can’t fault them.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Can’t fault my Vaults.

Couldn’t fault the Carbon Cycles (same as Nanos) on my old bike either though.

saxabar
    Free Member

Hmm,
    – Hopes = 390g pp
    – DMR Vaults = 400g pp
    – Burgtec = 440g pp
    – Superstar = 440g and Ti for £80ish at 370g pp

Not much point in being a weight weenie on an Alpine 160, but if they all grip as well as or better than the Superstars then I’m happy. There are some good lookers in the mix though!

Edit: seem to be a few negative reviews of the Nukeproofs. Anyone make a strong case for them over others?

One more factor: I’m lazy when it comes to spannering so fixing pedals down the line is unlikely. Fit and forget a must.

robhughes
    Free Member

If you fancy some blue SS nanos iv’e got a pair used once and sat here in there box. 😉

julians
    Free Member

Just bought some superstar delta evo mag ti , 250g for the pair. Nice and slimsline and grip well

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

Vaults for me. Brilliant pedals and replaced my ancient V8s

Rockplough
    Free Member

Nukproof/Superstar plastics are quite impressive so far. I don’t notice the axle. Super light, solid, and won’t scuff. 🙂

Davesport

Save yourself some dosh. New low profile DMR V12’s are about 40 quid. I’d definitely buy another pair in preference to Vaults/Syncros Meathooks/Superstar Nano.

julians
    Free Member

I didn’t like thenukeproof plastic pedals. They were quite light,but the grip was lacking.

ceepers

Superstars are good, vaults are better!

Northwind

I didn’t like the plastic ones, the raised axle meant not much grip in some shoes.

TBH, i just got a set of vaults on a whim, they do feel great when you first stick your feet on them but 5 minutes later I’d forgotten they weren’t my nanos, didn’t find them any different in use at all.

interstellar
    Free Member

I have specialized bennies and love them, for me I get on really well with how the pins are located as opposed to dmr’s

tomcanbefound
    Free Member

Both my mates who switched from v12’s to vaults are on their 2nd warranty/rebuild in under a year… I cant even remember where the grease port on my 12’s is 😳 still good as new.

Anyone know if they new V12’s are compatible with the old axles?

euans2
    Free Member

I use both DMR Vaults and new style v12’s, the vaults just have the edge over the v12’s due to deing slightly wider and lighter but there isn’t much in it.

MSP

Straitline defacto pedals, miles better than any other I have tried.

sparkyrhino

have a pair of nukeproof and 2x pairs ofcarbon cycles nano-esque,all great value,good pedals,nukeproofs a bit softe loose pins a lot.My pair of Vaults are in a different league in my humble opinion.Worth the extra £

Northwind

Oh aye, I probably should have said, I’m just a size 9 foot and quite narrow so the massive vault platform isn’t the advantage it could be, if you’re bigger or you like to stand wider on the pedals I’m sure that comes into its own

nairnster
    Free Member

I really like my Superstar El Plastique. Light, if you tighten the pins a bit more, good grip, and only cost me £ 15 in sale before Christmas.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

These look like they have potential~ thin, light (260g pair!) and cheap at £30

Xpedo Spry

Northwind

MODS! JHJ posts about pedos in every thread!

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Do people wear shin pads? If so what type? I’m not seeing much online and I’m thinking football ones look better value.

I’m flat-curious but don’t fancy punctured shins.

warpcow
    Free Member

Never worn shinpads. I think I wacked my shins more often during the 15-odd yrs I rode with SPDs. Back of the calfs is where I occasionally catch myself.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Calm yourself Northwind, I was considering posting these too:

Wellgo MG14

but looking at the raised axle profile, I reckon grip would be compromised, so I omitted adding them to the pedal file…

mrblobby
    Free Member

No love for Saints? Was going to be my next as the V12’s are getting on a bit.

HansRey

55euros on CRC

superstu
    Free Member

I have the nanos on one bike and nuke proof on the other. Both grip excellently and huge improvement on the wellgo types glad I had used for fifteen years before. Both cheap too

sprocker
    Free Member

I had vaults, great pedals but I smashed them up and have now tried the nukeproof neutron evo s they are really cheap, light and grip really well

MSP

I haver had the saints, didn’t rate them at all, the platform is small, they are quite “tall” and the platform feels like it is shaped to go under the ball of the foot rather than the more natural flat pedal position.

creamegg
    Free Member

I have nanos and straitline defacto. Nanos are ok, good for the money but i prefer the straitlines in terms of grip and feel. The build quality is excellent and very easy to service too, not that they’ve ever needed much doing to them.

twohats
    Free Member

Saints would be good if the bearing didn’t self destruct!
    I’m currently using Specialized Boomslangs, very grippy, very comfy, nice low profile. Time will tell if they last…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Flat new pedals time: what's hot, what ya got?’ is closed to new replies.