Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Flanders sportivers – How did you get on?
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

That was the toughest year yet for me. The cold, rain and wind got to me a bit and after doing a season of 'cross I didn't have the miles in my legs.
    I won't take my gps with me next time as this just played havoc with my head, knowing I could just turn off and head back to the car. Thankfully, after cleaning the steep ones I felt a bit better and managed to get to the finish, a good hour or so slower than last year.

aP
    Free Member

We split to the 75, weren't really feeling like walking all the first climbs, had a propr dash to the finish and then washed it down with Leffe Brun. We stayed at the same hotel as the Red Sun women's team so that was nice.
    Saw them come through in Oudenaarde then got to the Muur yesterday to see Cancellara dig in, Millar blow and Rog keep it to finish top ten – Cav was 3rd from last there – abandoned soon after.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Ummm Leffe, Blonde for me, so much nicer draft than out of a bottle.
    The Koppenburg was soooo slippery, riders falling everywhere. Never seen the Molenburg so filthy either.
    One bad year in 9 isn't going to put me off though.

aP
    Free Member

Have to apologise to Cav – listed as dnf but rode to the finish.

MrSmith
    Free Member

grimburgen and westmalle for me.
    managed to get up all but the koppenburg due to wheelspin.
    race day spent driving the course in a press car, free food and free garmin mussettes left over from the last feed station.
    caisse d'epargne, AG2 mondiale and rabobank at our hotel.
    great way to spend a birthday weekend.

ourmaninthenorth

Riding – mate got taken out 80km in by someone not looking as they switched left when we were riding in an echelon, so me and other pal ended up pulling him (and too many others) for the remaining 50km of the flat. 30ish km later, I blew on the Kluisberg, and died a thousand deaths all the way back to Ninove (pushing on the steepest sections of the Paterberg and Koppenberg only, however), getting in over 12 hours after setting off. Not a vintage day on the bike for me, but still a great day out on the Ronde.

Race day – Saw the start in Brugge, and then made our way to Geraardsbergen and up the Muur to our usual spot just down from the chapel. Yelled at Cav as he grovelled up the Muur. Amazed to see Millar third over the top. Cancellara stunning – putting a minute into Boonen from the 20% point onj the Murr to the finish is quite something. Beer of choice was several cans of Jupiler followed by tumbling down the hill to catch the end on the big screen. And then more Jupiler.

Beer – Whole trip was ace (as usual), and lots of new beers drunk (Karmeliet is my default beer at home, though I had one or two). Orval very good, Chimay Blauwe too strong. Rodenbach could have been a cider for all I knew. Corsendonk blonde very drinkable.

MrSmith
    Free Member

so did anyone get stuck at dover? seafrance pulled a lightning strike without telling anyone in the u.k.
    the UK side only found out about the strike after a phone call to france asking "where are the ferries?"

luckily we decided to walk past the traffic queuing outside the terminal and rebook on P&O, there was a queue of about 100 behind us doing the same.

aP
    Free Member

MrSmith – you were in the hotel next door to us then…
    We just missed being stuck on the M20 in stack by about 10 minutes, the signs were flashing, a friend of hours got caught in it and missed his ferry.
    It was quite funny on the P&O boat when they apologised for the delys because Sea Fance were revolting.
    Surely Millar was 5th over the top?

ourmaninthenorth

Surely Millar was 5th over the top?

Quite possibly. I'd been slinging Jupiler down me at a rate not altogether compatible with standing on the steep, slippery grass just below the chapel on the Muur, so may not have remembered right.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Flanders sportivers – How did you get on?’ is closed to new replies.