Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • fixed
  • ssbrown
    Free Member

fixed is it wrong or just a good challenge ?

Stoner
    Free Member

Not a lot of fun round here where it’s hilly – only just got round to buying a freewheel for the pompino* having taken twice as long to get to the pub than it should do with a fixed sprocket.

Not wrong, but not always right.

I like the biomechanical training it gives you though.

I wouldnt use it in town though – unless extremely experienced you are appreciably under less control than with a freewheel, and its a sad fact that most of the Nathan Barley’s hooning around London on fixed wheel bikes these days would come seriously unstuck if they ever had to take drastic avoidance manouevres.

Saw one do it just riding around with nothing to cause the problem. Just numpty loss of control. Fashion over function for some.

* just about to go take part in a 10km Time Trial on the Pomp this evening. 49:18 . Im not expecting to podium. Is it wrong? 🙂

ssbrown
    Free Member

rode mountain mayhem fixed and it felt so right.

mustard
    Free Member

Don’t know if it’s wrong or right, but I enjoy it – nothing more than that, just fun. Oh, I’m in Scotland so I’ve got some good hills to deal with! The only time (so far) i’ve been dropped by my mates on road rides is the descents, but I am getting faster/smoother downhill.

I’ve got one brake at the moment, will probably put the back one on again for winter.

Personally, off road, don’t fancy fixed. Love the ss, but am getting back to gears for summer riding.

singlespeedstu

Fixed offroad is just for attention whores mate. 😉

pcb
    Free Member

I ride a fixed to work, it’s awesome! I regularly include a 1/5 and a 1/4 hill, makes your legs very strong.

Off road is daft.

sc-xc

fixed is ace for zero maintenance hassle free commuting. 3 years and counting, bike gets left outside all day and most nights.

I do not possess enough good looks, charisma or intelligence to try it off road.

sc-xc

aaahhh ssbrown. Just realised who you are 😀

GeForceJunky

Its brilliant for London commuting, but not for hilly areas.

singlespeedstu

sc-xc – Member

aaahhh ssbrown. Just realised who you are

Do try and keep up mate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘fixed’ is closed to new replies.