• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by sc-xc.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Fixed gear sprocket – do they screw on?
  • Garry_Lager

Want to change the gear on my pompino, so took the lockring off and expected the sprocket to just fall off. It appears to be screwed on, though – it this normal?
    Don’t get what the lockring is for in this case – be good to know so I can buy the right replacement cog, if it has to be threaded or if the lockring can just press it on.

pdw
    Free Member

Yes, this is normal. On a fixed gear, the sprocket and lockring screw on in different directions to avoid it coming undone when you back pedal.

Garry_Lager

Thanks pdw – makes sense. The sprocket seems welded on – is it a case of heaving on it with a chain whip?

pdw
    Free Member

Should be. Pedalling tightens it so it can end up very tight.

lazybike
    Free Member

If you get stuck 🙄 google rotafix…

TiRed

Check that you screw it on the correct way round, there is a spacer on one side of many sprockets to move it further from the spokes.

And they can be VERY tight. And of course the lockring is reverse threaded, but you’ve got that off already.

When I had my rear wheel rebuilt, guess who forgot to take the sprocket off before disassembling 😳 . Ever tried removing a sprocket with only a flange to hold? Had to half rebuild and ruined half the spokes in the process!

chipster

Try putting the wheel back in the bike and stamping a pedal backwards.

shermer75
    Free Member

Took me about two hours (with breaks) to get the one off of my Mrs’s Genesis. I used a chain whip, WD40 and a rubber mallet

timba
    Free Member

If the lock ring is off and the sprocket is for the bin, try clamping the sprocket teeth between two pieces of wood in a vice so that the wheel is horizontal and the teeth bite into the wood. Turn the wheel like a steering wheel, but only if the sprocket is for the bin, and don’t tighten the vice more than you need to or you’ll bend something

mattsccm
    Free Member

Take the lock rings off and go for a ride, trying to lock the back wheel up a lot. Lots of WD40 or plus gas can help. You will have “welded” alloy to steel which isn’t helping.
    If things get really bad you could reverse the wheel so that you are pulling the chain against the thread. Then ride it a lot.
    Something else will need reversing as well which may be tricky depending on your chainset. 😉 It works though

epicyclo

chipster – Member
    Try putting the wheel back in the bike and stamping a pedal backwards.

^ +1

Traditional methods work best.

If it doesn’t, just go for a ride without the lockring and do some skids. It will come loose at an inopportune moment, but it will come loose. 🙂

brant
    Free Member

Thermal shock helps too. Pour kettle of boiling water over sprocket a few times. Or a cooks blow torch!

scaredypants

seems a shit method of attachment – why do they still use it instead of a short slotted freehub ?

bob_summers

Why is it shit? Has worked perfectly for me for 30yrs or so! I’ve had more problems with freehub systems…

That said, Miche do a screw on carrier, so you can swap between cogs just by removing the lock ring. The cog just slots on.

I think for the track though, simple=better

JoB
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    seems a shit method of attachment – why do they still use it instead of a short slotted freehub ?

scaredypants

See, I’m a simple soul. I use words like freehub when I should invent “fixedhub”, but I imagine you knew what I meant

Sven

You could take it to ‘our’ workshop if the back pedalling method doesn’t work, Peter always gets those things undone.
    What size sprocket do you want to try? I have one or two hardly used sprockets in my spares box….
    Sven

Garry_Lager

Thanks for the tips – it came off last night ok with some oil, the whip and a couple of bevvies.
    Fancy trying a time trial on it (a ten) so need to up the gear inches a wee bit. Does 49×16 (82) sound like the right neighbourhood for a flattish ten? Never done one before.

lazybike
    Free Member

49×16 gives you 24mph at 100rpm, I would say that’s a good starting point.

sc-xc

Took me about two hours (with breaks) to get off my Mrs. I used a chain whip, WD40 and a rubber mallet

😯

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Fixed gear sprocket – do they screw on?’ is closed to new replies.