Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fitting sliding-door wardrobes – how best to sort the gap between door/ceiling?
  • TrailriderJim
    Free Member

We’ve got about a 7″ gap between the doors and ceiling. Bought the door kit from B&Q but the ceiling reducer kit is rubbish. Bits of plastic you’re supposed to fix the top track to. We’re thinking that building a wooden frame would be best – has anyone done this before and can share any tips? Our ceiling joists run parallel to the opening btw, so I’m having to fix noggins in-between them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A pic would help if you could post one…?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well obviously I can’t see the job from here, but visualising what the problem is, make up a frame (ladder) out of 3X2 or whatever you need to to give the width of the sliding door track, but leave one of the long lengths un-nailed. Fix the long length with the short noggins attached, to the ceiling, and then the 2 end noggins to the walls at either end. Now nail the remaining long length to the noggins. Cover the whole framework with half inch MDF. Paint. Fix sliding door track. Job done.

Hope that makes sense.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

btw, you could allow the MDF face/apron to sail a bit past the underside of the framework to hide the door track, if you so wished.

avdave2

I built the floor up as I prefer the look. Your not supposed to do that as in theory if you derailed a door it could fall on you.However I wasn’t using any glass in the doors and they have safety catches which should stop them derailing so it didn’t bother me. Oh and I’d already built the plinth before the doors arrived!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fitting sliding-door wardrobes – how best to sort the gap between door/ceiling?’ is closed to new replies.