Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting Ikea units to a wall, help please.
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Hi Everyone, my daughter has bought some ikea “PLATSA” wardrobes, two floor standing units & two that are supposed to fix to the wall at the top in-between them with the bed beneath. The backing is hardboard & there are plastic spacers that sit behind a hole at the top of the hardboard through which you presumable fix them to the wall, but they look flimsy as hell!
    Now my daughter has plans to fill them with books & magazines but I have said they don’t look like they will take the weight & I would rather they didn’t fall on her head, so has anyone had experience of these units & tales of catastrophic failure or will they be ok?

I thought screwing them together & the to the floor standing units would beef it up a bit but I still don’t think they would take serious weight like a kitchen cupboard can, why Ikea couldn’t use those type of fixings I have no idea but any help or thoughts appreciated.

They look like
    this

Cheers.

regenesis
    Free Member
    Cougar

Fill them full of Omega 3 tablets.

Then if it does fall down, she’ll only suffer superfishoil injuries.

kayak23

😂

sas78

Chapeau!

5lab

There should be a metal bracket (or the pax ones did), which actually holds the weight of the cupboard, as you say, the spacer is just that.

Tbh if they’re well bolted together, there probably isn’t much need to bolt them to the wall as well, but belt and braces

Edit : 20 seconds on Google shows you need a separate latthet suspension thing if you want to wall mount them. Do you have that?

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks for the link regenesis, I didn’t see that on the product page & my daughter didn’t order them (I just get to fit them), but they still attach to hardboard though right or am I missing something?
    Edit, just read the instructions, ignore me 😉

Cougar, very good 🙂

Slab, thanks but I dint see them & when I googled I couldn’t see anything but that just maybe my weak google skills 😉

Cheers.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

If it’s similar to the kitchen I fitted a while back there are metal angle brackets that screw to the inside of the carcass not the hardboard, and they then use a fitting to hang the cupboard on the rail screwed to the wall.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Thanks Mary, I have read the instructions now 😉

tinribz
    Free Member

There is no harm in putting some shelf brackets up if you’re still worried. I’ve been known to rawplug just a strip of chamfered skirting board under wall cupboards painted the same colour as the wall to take a bit of the weight. And a few of those small corner braces on the top for good measure. Screwfix is your friend.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Ikea units to a wall, help please.’ is closed to new replies.