• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by OCB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fitting 29er forks to a 26er lt ht – does it work? (+ pics wanted)
  • IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’m thinking of singlespeeding and rigidising my Chumba HX1. As it’s built to run a 140mm suspension fork normal 26er forks would seem to be a bit short so would I be right in thinking some 29er forks would work ok? I’d be running 26er wheels, none of this 96er nonsense thanks!

Or will fork rake issues, which I don’t really understand, kill me?

Any pics of any bikes running this setup much appreciated.

thomthumb
    Free Member

will the tyre go through the forks ok.

takisawa2

My Inbred was better (for me), with a 470mm fork. Front always felt too low with 440mn. I have a pic somewhere. Tried it with 29″ wheel & it didn’t feel right for me, but ironically the 29er Inbred I’m on now is great.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

a 26er rigid rigid may seem too short, but don’t forgot the extra height from the 29er wheel

at the end of the day it’ll come down to trial and error depending on the type of terrain you’ll be riding

chainslapp
    Free Member

A 29er fork with a 26″ wheel will give the same A to C height as a 140mm fork and has been done many times by others on this forum and apparently works.

takisawa2

IMAG0232 by pten2106, on Flickr

More pics here, but here you go. Worked really well for me. I always felt the bike rode perfectly at 120mm, but the 440mm was more like a sagged 100mm fork, not a 120mm. The front end was slightly easier to lift, & coupled with wide – std dia carbon bars that induced a bit of flex, the ride was actually quite good. It wont be for everyone, but for me it worked well till I tried a 29er. 😉

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Cool, cheers guys.

The tapered niner forks are calling me now…

wwaswas

Jenn did the Great Divide race on one;

edit although that looks like a trek 69er frame, tbh.

Clobber
    Free Member

Let me know how you get on IvanDobski, I’m considering doing exactly the same thing as you.

Shame that most of the responses you got were from people who didn’t read your post.

wwaswas

Shame that most of the responses you got were from people who didn’t read your post.

you’re right.

measure a-c of whatever fork you are currntly running when it’s sagged and then buy a rigid fork that’s closest to that.

might look a bit odd mind

MSP

Its what I have done on one of mine.

OCB
    Free Member

Ok, it’s not in anyway a 26er LTHT, but my old Kona has had 29er PII’s fitted, with a 26″ wheel (for ages now) and it’s bloomin’ lovely. So much so this gets ridden easily 10x more than anything else I own (even tho’ it’s probably older than some people on the forum).

😛

It did have some 100mm Manitou forks for a while, which were ok (if you like suspension 😕 ), but these forks suit it much better.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fitting 29er forks to a 26er lt ht – does it work? (+ pics wanted)’ is closed to new replies.