Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • First time at woodbury today…
  • ontor
    Free Member

… and my shins are shredded from gorse, OUCH!
    Some cracking singletrack hidden in the bit north of the crossroads though – any pointers for favorite bits in the southern half?

knottie8
    Free Member

I was there yesterday exploring too . Search the forum for woobury and you’ll find I posted a map a couple of weeks back.

##edit##
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/route-help-needed-woodbury-common-devon#post-3477237

wrecker
    Free Member

I shall remember the gorse, “woodbury rash” and subsequent dettol baths for as long as I live.

yunki
    Free Member

there’s a good rooty flowing descent alongside the southern edge of the ponds at the quarry eastwards down into the woods.. also in a similar area there’s a very rooty descent from the pines ridge road down towards bystock and along the edge of the nature reserve to bring you out at squabmoor reservoir.. (this may be cheeky)

If you’re into a bit of jumpy freeride action there’s a wealth of stuff at Pines Ridge although parts of it may be underwater at this time of year

pjm84
    Free Member

I shall remember the gorse, “woodbury rash” and subsequent dettol baths for as long as I live.

+1. It was strange never really effected me too bad but I did have a sense of humour failure when I had to crawl 100m or so through it.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I used to cycle at Woodbury in my teens, great place, however be aware that there have unfortunately been some deaths linked to goorse scratches at Woodbury. The goorse up there sometimes carries a flesh eating bacteria, can be fatal and has unfortunately killed the odd Marine here and there. Also this from 2006 for example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1518810/Grandmother-dies-after-scratch-from-gorse-on-dog-walk.html

ontor
    Free Member

Cheers Bennyboy – bit paranoid now 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Keep meaning to get out there, will watch out for flesh eating bacteria now though.

ontor
    Free Member

They’re hard to spot apparently 😉

From what I can see there have only been a couple of cases and they were strep A related, a bacteria that is on your skin etc normally anyway.

ontor
    Free Member

I think the Ticks that are there (and everywhere) pose a much bigger risk.

yunki
    Free Member

I know plenty people that have ridden/run/dogged/walked dogs/played kisschase/raved their moobs off/slayed dragons up there every week or more for decades with only a quite small percentage* of them losing limbs or dying from gorse related illnesses..

*0%

ontor
    Free Member

I wonder how many of those things one could combine at once yunki?

carlphillips
    Free Member

I’ve never died from riding there.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Yunki,
    Can you let know more about this ‘playing kisstouch’ on Woodbury?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘First time at woodbury today…’ is closed to new replies.