Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First DH race questions…advice please
  • mcinnes
    Free Member

Hello STW-ers,

I've decided to set myself the challenge of doing a DH race, to do something new and slightly scary, but mainly just for enjoyment!

But I'd appreciate some help finding the right race, given the newness of it all to me…

Ideally, I'd like something at the bottomest end of things 🙂

– happy with semi-structured or lo-fi levels of organisation – doesn't need to be the world's most tightly managed setup
    – would like to finish alive and ideally not last, so much more looking for 'all-comers' than 'all-stars'
    – short is OK so mini-DH (something I've heard of but don't know much about) but equally whatever normal length is would probably be OK too
    – I'm in the South of UK but very happy to travel anywhere up to about Birmingham, and will go further if the absolute perfect first race is in the North or even Scotland, but ideally would do this first race somewhere in the lower half of the UK

In terms of my ability to do it, the bike is more able than me (Bfe linky) and I have some of the guts and some of the skills but clearly have lots to learn, so please recommend accordingly. (And I know you're sposed to have a DH killer mofo bike to ride DH, but hey ho – what's the point of having a hooligan bike if you don't occasionally stretch it a little bit?!)

Thanks in advance, and any other general tips for a first DH race are also appreciated. 😆

GW
    Free Member

Taff Buggy

a really fun track, nothing too scary there and you'll be almost as fast on a hardtail as a DH bike

Stopadoodledoo
    Free Member

Depending on when you want to race, the Aston Hill 4-2-3 race in September would be a good first event, as they are pretty relaxed, the course is rideable by all and it won't break the bank either (about 20 quid I think). There are also races at PORC and although they usually have road gaps and the like included, there are always alternative lines that you can take, albeit slightly longer ones.

As for tips, don't be put off by seeing loads of people on full-on DH bikes and wearing all the gear; budget (and fashion) does not equate to talent and you will probably surprise yourself and beat a few pyjama party types on big bikes. Nerves on the start line (especially when the beeps go) is the scariest bit but if you just remember that you are there for the experience and the fun, it won't be a problem.

I'd reccomend talking a few mates into it as well as it'll help no end with the nerves and you can treat it as racing against them rather than the rest of the field.

Basically though, DH racing is good fun and relaxed. You'll love it.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Some of the stuff they do at Blandford (UK bike park?) looks good fun.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As the Stoppa man says – check out Aston Hill, Porc, Uk Bikepark. Chicksands and Forest of Dean occasionally do Mini DH races. All of them (I think) you can ride most of the time, so you can get some idea of what you're in for.

I did my first "proper" DH race last year at Alpe d'huez – the Avalance Cup one in Oz-en-Oisans. Nerves befor hand were pretty bad, but once on course, it was actually really nice to just have a clear track in front of me. Really quite enjoyed it. (until I f'cked up a corner on my second run and ended up pointing UP the hill…!)

wee-al
    Free Member

Pin it to win it!

mcinnes
    Free Member

Now I'm really excited. This feels good and new. Thanks for the suggestions people.

drunkenmonkey
    Free Member

mcinnes

Can't offer any tips as I've never done anything like it. I will say respect to you and go for it! I am sure it will be a great experience and you'll learn loads seeing lots of tallented riders pin it. Let us know how you get on when you do your first race.

Simonpieman
    Free Member

Go for it.

I personally think some DH racing is essential to being a complete mountainbiker.

As mentioned above go for a local series, maybe on a low elevation hill to start with, just to get used to the way a DH race works. In addtion to above have a look at the southwest series run by kustombikes.com.

I would look for a race with a hardtail cat(these days most have one), as this will allow you to be competative and also understand how fast you are (or as I found out when I first started how fast you arn't).

As in all scenes there are some idiots so take everything you hear in the uplift queue/push with a pinch of salt. Having said that most of my best friends I have met in a quarry truck going up a hill in wales so it is usually very friendly and there WILL be lots of people in the same boat as you. There are lots of riders who will humour strange questions and most people are supportive of new riders so don't be afraid to ask silly questions to other riders.

Take the time to know what marshals flags mean, and learn a little uplift and track etiquette. Most of this is common sense but don't stop on blind areas of the track, don't stand on the track during practice and try to yield to faster riders during practice in sensible way. during teh race on a small hill you shouldn't have to worry about other riders during your race run.

As far as teh racing goes The hardest thing with Racing I found was reading a DH course properley, so make sure you walk the course and take the time between runs etc to watch some sections so you can see how it should be done.

I would also say don't get fixated by any particularly scary lines that look terriying there is always another way round or over (ok its slower) and sometimes worrying about if your going to do a particular feature can dominate your day. To start with focus on teh things you are fast on and do enjoy. There will be plenty!

Have Fun!

stooo
    Free Member

I've been thinking the same thing.

Move to Innerleithen 2 months ago and I've all ready given in and added a really heavy built 6" play bike to the garage… or I will have when the bullit is finished this week.

There's just so much DH going on here that it seems wrong not to be involved with a bit of it…. Hope I don't get the bug!

br
    Free Member

Try an uplift, Cwmcarn?

Also recommend the mini-DH at Chicksands, very easy but competitive – my sons first race:

Wear body armour, trees aren't your friends – and always handy if you're not alone…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

pearce series

I am crap was crap still having fun, make sure they seed you last so you run first, dont have 3 chain rings and can drink!!

Mail me for more advice

mcinnes
    Free Member

Fantastic responses, thank you all! I'll be booking something asap to make it real.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First DH race questions…advice please’ is closed to new replies.