Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Fire Eye bike frames… Anyone know much about them?
  • mboy
    Free Member

They’re super cheap on CRC at the moment for their steel DJ frames. I’m currently looking at building up a cheap hack/DJ/4X style bike for getting to work on (3 1/2 miles each way) and maybe taking down a 4X track or two. I’ve got an old set of 100mm Marzocchi’s kicking about, a pair of hubs, spare bars, a stem, some cranks, flat pedals etc. So I’ve got most of a bike, just not the frame.

So are they any good really? I’ve seen some other offers about (Ghost 4X frame for £125, Cove Sanchez) but these look very clean and simple, which I like, as well as really cheap! I’m not looking for a pro level DJ or 4X bike, I’m looking for a cheap, fun 26″ wheeled alternative to a BMX really (I just can’t get on with small wheels) for mucking about on, so I imagine it’ll be more than up to the job, but should I consider anything else before blowing a massive £90 on one?

hock

Bump. Identical situation here. Same question. 🙂

mboy
    Free Member

Haha, cheers Hock

Bump again for the day crowd!

thepodge
    Free Member

If I remember correct they are fairly good if a little out dated & lacking in brand bling

mboy
    Free Member

Outdated and lacking in brand bling is fine by me. To be honest, that probably suits me better as I’m not trying to be down with the kids or anything, I just want a bike that suits me for messing about on.

mboy
    Free Member

Next Question is of course, which one?

Spitfire, Bloodshot, or Shortfuse?

hock

Hi mboy, pretty lonely thread, isn’t it? 🙂

Would be Spitfire for me. Others to burly-heavy-jumpy and short for my case (hacking about, odd stint to Pump Track, no jumping).

Probably depends on whether you put the emphasis on “26” BMX” or “getting to work on”.

Anyway: BUMP for the night crowd to give mboy and me some company and a little more diverse feedback. Pleaze!
    Because it seems strange that they have been around for a good few years (9?!) and nobody knows them. Also can’t pin down where they actually come from. Taiwan? Seem to sell pretty much around the world with some spanish and eastern-european bias. as far as one can’t tell from their hp: http://www.fireeye-bike.com

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

For that price I doubt you can go wrong. They look dead heavy though.

You could probably get something decent 2nd hand for the same price off pinkbike or ebay.

Those Giant STP’s always look good to me, considering the price. Alu alloy, so you’ll save 2lbs in weight over that fireeye.

transporter13
    Free Member

I was looking at those fire eye frames a week or so ago for much as the same reason as you bud. I ended up winning a dmr sidekick frame off the bay in almost mint condition for less than £40. Check the bay as there’s a lot of frames about for not a lot of cash.

donks
    Free Member

I have a fire eye flame bought cheap from crc. Can’t say if it’s any good as I’ve not built it yet but it was singlespeed compatible or runs gears and is steel which was what I’m after. Looks fine tbh a little heavy but thats ok.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I have/had one, the Fire Sky model. Built it up as a hardcore hardtail, rode really nice and convinced me about slack front ends. Build quality is fairly good, alot of nice touches but maybe too many flourishes, lots of gussets and such. For the money you can’t complain, sure you can get second hand but at least you’ll know where this has been. I would still be riding mine if I hadn’t put together a Dialled Alpine, the problem I had with mine was I built it with no concession to weight and it came in around 38-40lbs depending on tyres. Absolutely ploughed through everything but eventually it was a bind when climbing.

Looking at the pic I remember now that I done it pretty much on the cheap and was probably only a few hundred quid, which in retrospect made it a whole load of fun for not much ££.

mboy
    Free Member

Finally got it built up!

It’s not light for sure, but it’s not that heavy… Frame is just on 6lb, complete bike as is at the moment just over 32lb.

Only been up and down the street on it so far, but feels nice, if a little tall at the front end right now (130mm forks, might have to reduce them). Time will tell, but it’s cost naff all to build up at least! 😀

tymbian
    Free Member

They have some interesting new frames on the way for 2013, I’m liking the geo on their long travel, steel AM 26. Low bb, dropper post compatible etc…

slowrider
    Free Member

Looks fun that

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Fire Eye bike frames… Anyone know much about them?’ is closed to new replies.