Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Woburn conditions?
  • peasant
    Free Member

Heading to woburn tommorow amd wondering what the trails are like

jameso

fast and well drained in the sandy areas, a bog in others- yesterday.

Trimix
    Free Member

I was there Saturday, dry and grippy in most places. One or two puddles, one or two mucky bits, but these are far and few between. Easy to miss them out.

Basically its great, escpecially when you consider the rest of the country is under water.

maxtorque

Probably best to give the bottom of the “back woods” a bit of a rest tbh, Sodden, not much fun and in danger or really cutting up the trails ;-(

marko75
    Free Member

went today….. the sand is nice and firm but there are some very boggy sections. Roots are slippery!

Enjoy!

oldgit
    Free Member

I only go there once a week these days, and it’s been pretty good, there will always be bad patches there or anywhere.
    I took MBR around there in 2005, they called it a winter wonderland.

lambchop
    Free Member

It is draining well on the high parts but as maxtorque says avoid the ‘backwoods’ I’m referring to the section down the big fireroad climb down towards the Brickhill road by the green metal gate. They’ve been logging down there and the mud is 2 feet deep.

Not sure if rider numbers are up or if it’s just the extremely wet winter but most trails seem to be widening from what looks like overuse or mud avoidance. Roll on summer.

iridebikes
    Free Member

what do youlot think of the new track? i cant think how to describe where it is, but it starts with a drop over a log…

Trimix
    Free Member

Rider numbers are massivly up. 8 years ago I would go and the car park would be empty. Now its always busy.

Thats the internet for you 🙂

flap_jack
    Free Member

Not sure if rider numbers are up or if it’s just the extremely wet winter but most trails seem to be widening from what looks like overuse or mud avoidance

Possibly availability of better mud tyres ? Looks the worst I’ve seen in places. The small section in Stocky park is holding up well though.

grahamt1980

Haven’t been for a few weeks, the stuff over the road and brickhill side is all a massive swamp.
    Its ok if you confine yourself to the normal bit in the middle though.
    Won’t be heading back for a while as most of the trails we ride are either massive puddles or under 3 inches of water.

And that new trail looked interesting last time we were there, haven’t ridden it though as it wasn’t finished then

flap_jack
    Free Member

Rider numbers are massivly up. 8 years ago I would go and the car park would be empty. Now its always busy.

Yes, but folk will get bored and it’ll return to normal. Can’t wait.

lambchop
    Free Member

Where’s this new trail then?

grahamt1980

bow brickhill. Entrance is to the left of the fun bit of singletrack with the steep roll in to a small section of fireroad (which then goes off up and left into the woods)

lambchop
    Free Member

sounds like it’s near the Rollercoaster?

grahamt1980

sort of yes.
    If you follow the singletrack i mentioned it leads you up the hill (then hang a left) it gets you to the rollercoaster (well one of them)

peasant
    Free Member

Thanks for your replies

vala
    Free Member

is there any maps of these new trails (or even existing ones) for woburn?

jameso

what do youlot think of the new track? i cant think how to describe where it is, but it starts with a drop over a log…

Just left off the start to another popular run? If so, nice ) But it ends up at boggy bottom. Found it while looking to avoid the other 2 that are getting well-used / rutted and a minor handful on a rigid.

oldgit
    Free Member

What’s the latest? going up there for three or fours hours Wednesday night and my back wheel is cream crackered and rubbing without the help of a mud bath.

kerv
    Free Member

Wasn’t too bad when I came back through there Sunday morning, but it was still frozen then. Todays snow has probably turned it back to a swamp again.

maxtorque

Not too bad actually, just stay out of the lower level runs that skirt around the bottom North Eastern edge of the scarp in the more deciduous woods. Those bits are still gopping, but the tops and sandy bits are riding really well actually!

oldgit
    Free Member

Bloody great at the moment.

lambchop
    Free Member

Was great on Tuesday too. Will be out for a snow ride on Sunday.

oldgit
    Free Member

I’ll see you one day, I’m racing this Sunday though, but soon.

Rochey
    Free Member

I’ll be up there on Saturday, I’ll let you know.

On a separate note, do any of you pay the £2.50 for a day pass??

oldgit
    Free Member

Used to be included in my old ‘club’ subs. But no not usually, as it only applies to a certain area. So if I’m riding XC from leighton Buzzard to Bedford and back, and just passing through on BWs then no.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

£3 a day now IIRC, payable to the warden types who are very pleasant, its a requirement for 3rd party liability insurance for the landowner as a condition of use and less than the cost of diesel to get there.

You can buy annual passes for £20

http://www.greensandtrust.org/pdfs/AspleyBikePermit2013.pdf

Jase
    Free Member

One of the benefits of being a Team MK member, the permit is included in the membership.

Rochey
    Free Member

My daughter is a member of team MK, does that count??

oldgit
    Free Member

Little group from our road club heading out there tomorrow from 9am.

Rochey
    Free Member

Oldgit, we know each other, I’m going to be up at he bottom of Bow Brickhill at approx 0915, may see you LBRCC boys out.

oldgit
    Free Member

You’ll spot us easily, we’ll all be on very old basic MTBs with rusty chains. Everyone’s been furiously trying to get their accient MTB’s up and running for the weekend 🙂

Rochey
    Free Member

Nice ride up there today, 4hr in the bag,

transporter13
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me what the freeride area is like? Planning on a bit of dh tomorrow morning

lambchop
    Free Member

Anyone been up since the thaw?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Woburn conditions?’ is closed to new replies.