Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • finally got the wife out mtbing, good or bad idea!?
  • trekaround
    Free Member

So i've dragged her off road and she seems to like ( think this is gonna cost me a bas-tard new bike though ) Except when we went through a LITTLE stream and she got her pink/black shoes all muddy!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Good thing

Just don't push her too hard – make sure its fun for her not a struggle

molgrips
    Free Member

Make sure she's doing it cos she wants to and not cos you want her to…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Just don't push her too hard – make sure its fun for her not a struggle

TJ is Barry White and I claim my £5.

cinnamon_girl

I agree with molgrips.

trekaround
    Free Member

to be fair she's up for it molgrips, got her on my old mongoose ( needs work! ) just need to get her to understand that there's quite a few bumps off road! Off to france next week so taking the bikes with us.

Edric64
    Free Member

What a bad idea !.I can't think of anything worse that my missus buggering up my hobby by coming along .Its my me time with my mates

molgrips
    Free Member

She may surprise you 🙂

Mrs Grips likes biking, and loves getting out and exercising.. but she's had such a hard time since baby grips was born.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

My better half got the bug after getting a bike that fitted correctly, rather than struggling on my jumpy;

Difficult to get out together with two young(ish) kids but she loves general XC and even night rides.

She also got some pads after her first pedal tattoo, might be worth a thought.

loddrik
    Free Member

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO FOR GOD SAKE NO!!!!!

Keep your hobbies to yourself, or you'll regret it later!!

I love my wife, she is my best mate and has been for the last 14 years and I choose to spend most of my spare time with her, but there is no way in hell I would want her to encroach on my biking time! Is nothing sacred…..

molgrips
    Free Member

It's precisely because I want to spend my spare time with my wife that I encourage her to come biking with me 🙂

trekaround
    Free Member

not looking at much downhill/mega xc with her, just the week day training rides. The weekend rides are still gonna be for me, as she'll never wanna go anywhere too extreme and i don't ever wanna go near effin primark!
    Early stages all this, but am enjoying having her tagging along, especially today when she breezed passed me after my front cable snapped and i'm stuck on the small crank peddlin like mad!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Go the whole hog – get a tandem MTB and insist she always drives it. 🙂

sadmadalan

Have spent time and money getting my better half involved. She likes XC but equally we are off the Alps this summer for the third year in a row for biking. She enjoys what she does and likes being in the mountains. It allows us to have a family with the boys (age 18 and 16) where we all enjoy it. It does mean the fleet of bikes in the garage is on a growth path and even includes bikes from the dark side.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Is nothing sacred…..

You are aware that just because she enjoys it and might come sometimes, she doesn't have to come all the time?

giggety.

sweepy
    Free Member

Theres better innuendo here than on the George Michael thread 😆
    Ive never been for a bike ride with the Mrs that didnt involve an argument, I want to enjoy myself not argue.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

Personally, speaking as a single man, I'd quite like to find a new lady friend who enjoyed cycling.

Disco808
    Free Member

Its a great idea to get the Wif out on the bike but whatever you do don't try to teach her anything…. 😉 Get someone else to do that bit!

MrsToast
    Free Member

I'm properly chuffed t'husband encouraged me to start biking. We don't normally bike together though, sometimes I even go biking and leave him at home. Although he threatend to never let me go riding alone again after I had an off two weeks ago. That resolution lasted a week… 😛

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Apart from the odd token ride every couple of years, my lovely wife is big on talk and short on action.

Suits me.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

It's ok having a girlfriend that rides, BUT
    you have more bikes to clean,
    More bikes to fix (and been a woman they are fussy on how brakes/gears are placed)
    More time waiting at top/bottom of hill.
    more time looking at lines/drops etc and helping them get over it.

And don't get me started if they race….lol.

Bunnyhop

The trail conditions at the moment are the best I've ever seen. So it really is the best time to start taking a newbie out and about.

tonyg2003

It's a great idea. MrsG is full into biking now, but a Orange5 Diva bought at my insistance has changed her attitude alot (obviously good bikes are more fun to ride and more motivating than poor ones).

With a little one at home. She goes out on Saturday mornings and I go out on Sundays. I never get any – "are you going cycling?" grief now. In fact since she starts later on Saturday morning with her girlfriends than my Sunday morning starts, I get to do the ironic – "what time do you call this?" when she's back later then expected.

It's just a pity that we don't get out more often. Although I'm a lot fitter she's pretty quick downhill. She's caught out many a macho male by overtaking them.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

"Although I'm a lot fitter she's pretty quick downhill. She's caught out many a macho male by overtaking them"

Lol thou I was taking the p**s a little bit in the above post, my GF is one of top XC riders in her age Cat and it is fun watching her catch/past blokes up hill and even more so downhill, better still when she on a XC hard tail and they on a full sus! 😈
    To be fair most blokes are ok at about it and do say hello…..

Alejandro
    Free Member

As long as she doesn't get quicker than you, it's all good 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I don't think many blokes are under they impression that they are (or should be) faster than every single female out there.

woodsman
    Free Member

a 'double edged sword' ime

sometimes good, sometimes not so

ebygomm
    Free Member

I don't think many blokes are under the
    impression that they are (or should be) faster
    than every single femle

Not a view I encounter in real life but seems fairly prevalent on this forum

SiB
    Free Member

"finally got the wife out mtbing, good or bad idea!?"

Fantastic idea when she's out on the bike and you want some peace and quiet at home. If I was yo Id also recommend that she joins a female mtb group……even more time for you to do whatever you want to do as she's out with her newly acquired frinds.

Simple

skidartist
    Free Member

I love going riding with my GF, infact she's the only person I'll ride with, I either ride with her or ride alone, beyond that 'other people' whether they are friends or strangers are the ruination of a bike ride.

Whats funny about riding with your partners is when your advice comes back to bite you. My GF had a pretty spectacular fall on a steep rubbly descent, nothing broken but a huge array of bruises. Nearly two years later I went to pick up her car for her from the garage and the mechanic just looked at me incredulously tutted and said "I can't believe you told her to feather the brakes".

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘finally got the wife out mtbing, good or bad idea!?’ is closed to new replies.