Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)
  • Fence Spikes Vs Cats yes or no?
  • oldfart

Sick and fed up picking up the neighbours cats shit in our garden 😡 No attempt to cover it up just do it on our lawn , filthy bastards 😡 So I was thinking of putting those spike strips on the top of our fence to stop them coming over . So can I get in trouble for doing this ?

qwerty
    Free Member

They come with the legal guidance about where to fit them.

We brought some to stop our cat getting onto our bungalow roof via the fence, they don’t work, he just walked along them.

firestarter
    Free Member

Our neighbour put some up and our cat sits on them watching him clean his motorbike in his garden , im sure if I listen really hard I can hear the cat laughing

oldfart

What about borrowing my mates air rifle and taking up a sniper position I guess that’s frowned on then ? 🙄

dyna-ti

Cats normally bury their feces, are you sure its not fox poop ?.

qwerty
    Free Member

You need lion poo, or better still a lion.

rOcKeTdOg

in trouble no, out of pocket as the cats will just find a different route, see it as a challenging game or just ignore and carry on as normal

qwerty
    Free Member

You need lion poo, or better still a lion.

But even then you’ll have feline feaces in your garden, you just can’t win.

martinhutch

Some cats bury their shite, others don’t, particularly the one who shits on my lawn.

qwerty
    Free Member

You need to invest in your own cat who will poop in someone else’s garden and keep other cats out of yours. It’s the only way. It’s how they plan to take over.

jamiemcf

Or scoop it up and post it back through the owners door

arnoldm
    Free Member

The Old fella next door has a pocket full of pebbles and is a great shot, you should hear the yowling when he hits a feline sh*t machine.

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

I’ve had the same issue with cat poo in the garden. It was a regular bugger setting the camera off 2.30pm in the morning.

Put a cat repeller that detects movement and sprays a jet of water in the cats direction. After a few showers it didn’t come back.

Cougar

Because animal cruelty is so much more lolworthy when it’s someone else’s pets.

The Old fella next door has a pocket full of pebbles and is a great shot, you should hear the yowling when he hits a feline sh*t machine.

The **** is wrong with you? He needs arresting.

blokeuptheroad

What about borrowing my mates air rifle and taking up a sniper position I guess that’s frowned on then ? 🙄

You’ll be more than ‘frowned on’.

“The maximum penalty for the following offences increased from six months to five years from 29 June 2021: Causing unnecessary suffering (section 4, Animal Welfare Act 2006)”.

Which is about right for scumbag animal abusers IMO.

chvck
    Free Member

We have the same issue, it’s really annoying. We’ve tried all sorts including lion poo. Not much seems to stop them, we just put canes sticking up in the beds that aren’t netted now and clean up the shit on the rest of the garden.

Put a cat repeller that detects movement and sprays a jet of water in the cats direction.

Haven’t tried this though, might try it.

oldfart

You know I was only joking about the air rifle don’t you ? 🤔🙄
    qwerty we always had cats until our last one sadly passed peacefully of old age see blokeuptheroad told you 👍
    We decided after our last one we didn’t want any more, I think that’s when this started .

oldfart

I just don’t get the doing it on a lawn I always thought they like burying it ?

blokeuptheroad

You know I was only joking about the air rifle don’t you ?

No, how could I know that?  Thank you for clarifying. I don’t get the ‘joke’ though.

ransos
    Free Member

I just don’t get the doing it on a lawn I always thought they like burying it ?

As another poster said, some cats do, some don’t. In my neighbourhood, they like to leave a half eaten bird then take a dump in the middle of the lawn. Hateful things.

arnoldm
    Free Member

Truly admonished, perhaps missed the tense out of my story, the old fella is long since passed away. The cats in the area were largely feral rather than pets, and although he threw the odd pebble it would make the cat jump rather than injure, nothing compared to what the cats did to each other when defending their territory. I sympathise with anyone who has unwanted cat poop in their gardens, I have no sympathy for the cats which decimate the bird population every spring though.

brian2
    Free Member

Go for the source. The self entitled cat owner who thinks it’s fine to buy a cat; allow it to run loose in the neighborhood.
    Crapping in gardens and play areas, murdering the local bird population and villifying the unsuspecting motorist who runs it over. Irresponsible animal owners really get my goat.
    IGMC.

oldfart

blokeuptheroad
    If I’d have known I was going to be labelled as a scumbag animal abuser I wouldn’t have mentioned the air rifle 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

oldfart

brian2 not sure the owner can be blamed for cats going walkabout?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Wish we had cats around here. Might keep the squirrels and the pigeons at bay. Never see a cat. How much is a cat?

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

If anyone is interested this is the cat sprayer thing I bought. It needs a hose connected to it but it works.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004YCUT4W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Mister-P
    Free Member

You’ll be more than ‘frowned on’.

“The maximum penalty for the following offences increased from six months to five years from 29 June 2021: Causing unnecessary suffering (section 4, Animal Welfare Act 2006)”.

Which is about right for scumbag animal abusers IMO.

What’s the punishment for a clean kill?

brian2
    Free Member

Oldfart…stop back pedalling! Who do you think facilitates their freedom to run riot!

oldfart

The double whammy is I love my garden and take good care of it , the cat owner ? Hmmm 🤔 Cat could poop with abandon in its own garden and it wouldn’t matter one bit , maybe that’s why the cat does it on our grass as it’s kept at a sensible height rather than a jungle 🙄
    Ever wish you’d never started a thread ? 😔

13thfloormonk

brian2 not sure the owner can be blamed for cats going walkabout

It’s a choice, you can keep them indoors but it’s ‘a hassle’.

My wife would prefer to live with the knowledge that ‘our’/her cat is out shitting in other people’s gardens and killing birds for fun, than have to deal with the indignity of cleaning out a litter tray 🙄

brian2
    Free Member

Yup. Laugh it off mate, there’s always someone to upset

seriousrikk

brian2 not sure the owner can be blamed for cats going walkabout?

Of course they can.

The problem is it seems acceptable in our society to get a cat and then just let them wander. There are plenty of options to give cats freedom without allowing them to roam into other people’s gardens. But all these options require the owners to take an ounce of responsibility for their animals rather than just opining the door.

Klunk
    Free Member

oops too late 🙂

chevychase

Such a daft thing to get angry over tbh. It rots away quick/gets pounded into the soil by the rain – plus, if you give a monkeys about nature you’re not mowing all your lawn anyway. Got a “wildflower meadow?” How can you even see it?!

Anyway. My geese have shat everywhere. They poop on average every twelve minutes and they refuse to stay in their field. And on top of that the farmer’s sheep got loose last night and have taken mahoosive dumps all over my goose poo. (Never mind that my car is splattered with the most minging cow shit imaginable because there’s a river of the shit flowing from the dairy farm up the road).

Shit happens. Don’t let it bother you.

chevychase

Oh, btw. “Our” cat (we didn’t buy him – he just rocked up and refused to leave) sicked up a half-digested mouse onto my o/h’s pillow last year.

I consider that a win.

jamiemcf

This guy has a few videos on cat deterrents. The DIY effort should appeal to a few on here and the videos should appeal to another subsection.

As far as I’m aware no cats were harmed.

oldfart

I read somewhere apparently cats don’t have owners they have staff , sounds about right 🙄

blokeuptheroad

If I’d have known I was going to be labelled as a scumbag animal abuser I wouldn’t have mentioned the air rifle

I labelled people who shoot cats with air rifles as scumbag animal abusers.  If as you say, you don’t really intend to do that, then clearly the label doesn’t apply to you.

catfood
    Free Member

As above the cat sprayers work, once they’ve got wet they won’t come in again.

As for cats burying their poo only non alpha cats bury it, the alpha male in the area doesn’t.

slowol

I find that the car repellent granules from Wilko deter the neighborhood cats from my veg beds. They generally like nothing better than a freshly raked soil to poo in.
    The granules are just clay and garlic powder so harmless although do smell a bit garlicky the first time it rains on then.
    Breaking the habit seems to work for a couple of months so a bag lasts a few years. YMMV

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.