Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)
  • Fence Spikes Vs Cats yes or no?
  • greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Cats shitting on your lawn, instead of burying their poop could mean:

a) A lack of clean toilet facilities (think pre-BBC Glastonbury).

b) You’ve got rats nearby. The cats will leave the poop unburied as a treat for the rats.
    The rats get brainworms, makes them easier to catch.

Most likely door two. So the cats are doing you a ‘solid’, just like the people hauling your garbage away, etc.
    It would be most impolite to shoot them, too!

I’d take one for the team, and have a ton of sand delivered. The cats are defending all the properties in your quarter-acre.

And until someone invents a mouse-proof toaster, we’re lumbered with them.

Stalwarts!

mildred

We have 3 local cats that regularly crap in our garden; yea I’ve seen that em crap on the lawn many times – joys of bi-fold doors & a nice garden to look at.

Anyway, the best remedy for cats crapping on your lawn is a Labrador. Not for the obvious cats vs dogs shenanigans – Labradors don’t scare cats. Rather, they do a great clean up job every morning & evening. It’s like a smorgasbord of meaty treats.

properbikeco
    Free Member

get a patterdale terrier – no cat problems here!

matt_outandabout

It really grinds my gears as a recently ex dog owner – I always, without fail picked up dog dirt as I had respect for my neighbours and the community where I live. cat owners on the other hand – clearly don’t give a ficking damn about anyone else.

^ this.

You might think it’s not fine, but UK law says it is. Unfortunately, unless the government legislates to remove the ability of people to have cats as pets (which is fair game) then the answer you need to face up to is “tough titties”.

Which does not make it OK.
    And there is a real double standard here – see the dog poop vs cat poop comment above, see the ‘my cat is not an environmental nuisance’ and yet they are, and yet so many owners could choose to do the ‘right’ thing and have their litter tray in the lounge…yet they don’t.
    It is a conscious DILLIGAF from the owner.

thepurist

How the blinking flip is a cat owner meant to pick up after their cat? Dogs are easy – they generally either crap at home or while they’re on a lead. Sometimes they crap while they’re free running and sometimes the owner “doesn’t see” them do that so it gets left behind. Cats are pretty much free running the whole time – unless you’re in LA nobody walks a cat on a lead and you aint gonna follow a cat through hedges and gardens to find out where it’s doing its business. You can have a litter tray at home but that doesn’t guarantee the cat will use it. Maybe they should start sticking microchips in Dreamies so you can scan each pile and determine which house it belongs to? Edit – and dogs ain’t no saints here- if they were allowed to roam free they’d crap everywhere too, like they do in plenty of other countries I’ve visited.

Obstruction/deterrence is the best bet – when we dig the veg patch we use a load of old mesh to cover the ground so the neighbourhood cats don’t start dumping on it. If we miss a bit and leave them a target then I take that as our mistake rather than the cats, but fortunately our local moggies don’t use places with a lot of footfall.

13thfloormonk

You can have a litter tray at home but that doesn’t guarantee the cat will use it

It does if you keep the cat inside 🙄

Cue predictable cries of ‘they’re outdoor animals’ etc. etc. but so are dogs, yada yada yada. Ultimately it’s still the cat owner’s choice to adopt an animal which apparently MUST be given free reign to roam around crapping indiscriminately

redmex
    Free Member

I think this thread is more to do with quite a few cat haters on here that would like to see more kittens drowned at an early age. All this killing birds etc causing major problems , they may kill the odd one or two but sparrowhawk’s probably are more skillful at killing a blackbird so do we need them poisoned, look at the amount of sheep damaged by dogs or foxes

13thfloormonk

No, I’m only still here because of the nonsense arguments being trotted out in the defence of pet cats, I mean, can you honestly not tell the difference between a wild bird killing to eat, and a well fed domestic cat killing out of boredom?

jamesoz

I’ve nothing against cats.
    We looked after a moggy on a regular basis. She only used to use the litter tray (yes it does stink), bit of a house cat really as she’d only like to go outside for short adventures and preferably if a human was present, so not really fully representing normal domestic cat behaviour.

Jordan

I quite like our neighbours cat despite the fact that I have seen it shit in our garden numerous times. There used to be another cat from somewhere else in the village that used to regularly come into our garden and quite savagely attack the neighbours cat, big ugly thing it was and if I saw it I used to chase it away (never threw anything at it, honest guv). It’s regular escape route was over the wall via the top of a storage box that had been left there for quite some time. The box lid had some holes and it had filled with rain water.. One day I decided to take it to the tip and took the lid off to empty it and went to get a bucket. Having found a bucket I saw ugly cat in the garden and gave chase. It must have got a real shock when it discovered the lid was off the box and I couldn’t stop laughing as I watched it drag it’s sorry soggy self out of the box and disapear down the drive. Never seen it since!

ransos
    Free Member

I think this thread is more to do with quite a few cat haters on here that would like to see more kittens drowned at an early age.

Get a grip.

I think this thread is more to do with quite a few cat haters on here that would like to see more kittens drowned at an early age.

Here come the drama (cat) Queens.

chevychase

No @Mattoutandabout – you just want to rage about cats. Evidence:

and yet so many owners could choose to do the ‘right’ thing and have their litter tray in the lounge…yet they don’t

I already said to you that I do. And it never gets used. Having a litter tray does not mean a cat would use it. If we locked the cat inside (cruel) then it’d have no choice, but like I said, cruel.

You’d like that. Fair enough. But unfortunately, the answer is “tough titties”.

Surely there’s something more important you could be angry about – something you can actually do something about? No point in getting het up over something you’re never ever going to have control over.

dyna-ti

Plenty of folk on here go wild camping,and its a rare thing to find a lone toilet out in the middle of nowhere, so for the most part you lot crap all across the landscape 😆

ernielynch

Has anyone tried growing cucumbers to deter cats from their gardens?

Cougar

Plenty of folk on here go wild camping,and its a rare thing to find a lone toilet out in the middle of nowhere, so for the most part you lot crap all across the landscape 😆

Ah, but wild campers always bury their poo.

We looked after a moggy on a regular basis. She only used to use the litter tray (yes it does stink)

Litter trays only stink if they’re using cheap litter and / or not cleaned out regularly. Neither of which is the cat’s fault, and both of which would encourage them to evacuate outdoors because they don’t want to use a Trainspotting toilet any more than we would.

We have three indoors-only cats. Solids get removed from trays on sight. All the litterboxes get emptied, Miltoned and refilled around weekly. The only time they smell is if they’re overdue being cleaned.

ernielynch

The only time they smell is if they’re overdue being cleaned.

Nah, it smells when it comes out of their arses.

redmex
    Free Member

What about all the turds lying not decomposing on the high mountains, what punishment can we give the climbers ?

ernielynch

Well if they are high enough they won’t be decomposing and will remain there for future generations.

scotroutes

It is a conscious DILLIGAF from the owner.

This.

jamesoz

We have three indoors-only cats. Solids get removed from trays on sight. All the litterboxes get emptied, Miltoned and refilled around weekly. The only time they smell is if they’re overdue being cleaned.

Cat shit stinks. Fresh litter or not. I guess you’d used to the smell with 3 cats and weekly cleaning. 😉

gordimhor

My cat would like you all to meet his family.He wants me to point out that while he’s considerably smaller he’s not to be fuqqed with.
    Also he does kill some birds but mostly rats and mice

Cougar

Nah, it smells when it comes out of their arses.

Cat shit stinks. Fresh litter or not. I guess you’d used to the smell with 3 cats and weekly cleaning. 😉

It does. One of our three turns out biohazard levels of stink and the girth is astonishing, it’s like King Kong’s finger. But if you’d actually read what I wrote, “solids get removed from trays on sight.” It’s hard for poo to continue to smell for any length of time after it’s been scooped and deposited in the outside bin.

You suppose your own toilet habits smell of lavender? Have you never come out of the throne room going “I’d give that five minutes if I were you”? Everyone’s shit stinks, it’s only a problem if you leave it sitting there.

ernielynch

Everyone’s shit stinks,

That’s not true. Budgerigar and hamster shit doesn’t stink.

Who has ever had to put a cage outside because the budgerigar, or hamster, has just had a shit?

natrix
    Free Member

The clue is in the name.

The name is quite misleading, some male slow worms have blue patches on their flanks which look a bit like Sloes (the berries you put in gin) and so they were named after that, over the years the spellings diverged. Slow worms can actually move quite quickly…..

They are however, quite slow lovers, mating between slow worms can last up to 12 hours!!

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Given the number of people willing to flout the law in respect of stuff like poisons, if I had a cat I cared about, I’d not be letting it run free unsupervised. Since once of our friends’ dogs was killed eating poison in a public park in Glasgow’s south side, I’m reluctant to even walk our dogs on lead in built up areas.
    Same goes for cars; I’m paranoid about our dogs getting near the road off lead, but a fair proportion of cat owners around here seem quite happy to risk their cats being hit by cars, not to mention the local foxes – I was woken up a couple of months ago to the sound, and sight, of someone’s cat being predated by the big dog fox that hangs around our area.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I think this thread is more to do with quite a few cat haters on here that would like to see more kittens drowned at an early age. All this killing birds etc causing major problems , they may kill the odd one or two but sparrowhawk’s probably are more skillful at killing a blackbird so do we need them poisoned, look at the amount of sheep damaged by dogs or foxes

Tell me you have enough of a grasp of basic ecology to realise what bollocks this is…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Tell me you have enough of a grasp of basic ecology to realise what bollocks this is…

The content of that sentence you quoted suggests a lack of ability to coherently form and connect ideas, never mind ecology.
    Fun fact – I’d heard that you’re not legally required to report hitting a cat with your car, and a quick google indicates that’s true. I guess if the OP wants a legal way of dealing with his cat problem, then chasing them round the garden in his car is the answer…

jamesoz

Everyone’s shit stinks, it’s only a problem if you leave it sitting there

Well obviously, I didn’t say it didn’t.

I believe it’s the whole reason for the ops post.

ernielynch

Slow worms can actually move quite quickly…..

Well even I have managed to catch one** so not a serious problem for a cat. Natrix natrix on the other hand is a different kettle of fish – I have never managed to catch one.

And judging by their terror of cucumbers I wouldn’t expect a cat to catch one.

** They can be slow in the mornings when first sunning themselves.

seriousrikk

How the blinking flip is a cat owner meant to pick up after their cat?

Step one. Understand they should* take some responsibility for their animal before getting a cat.
    Step two. Create an appropriate space in their garden for an outdoor can run/catio/whatever
    Step three. Pick up the poo from either the litter tray or the outdoor run.

People who get a cat and let it roam are making a concious choice to do so, knowing full well it will probably crap in other peoples gardens.

desperatebicycle

Without reading all the cat expertise on the thread (first page was laughable enough), I’ve got some of this under my front room window. Couldn’t open the window in the summer for the stink, so put some of this down, now they shit over the other side, on the grass. I’m pretty sure they couldn’t bury it (jeez there are some weird people on here!) without a spade. It smells bad if I sit on the doorstep in summer, but I just throw it over the nearest cat owner’s fence.
    Anyway, this:

zilog6128

@seriousrikk I hope you are personally cleaning up all the crap your vehicle generates when you drive it around, you wouldn’t make the conscious decision to pollute but then irresponsibly let others breathe in the fumes would you 🤔

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

It’s as if the internet is shiny and new, and no one’s coined the term ‘whataboutery’ yet…

ossify

This thread need never have got so far if someone had just given the obvious answer on page 1:

Just go round to your neighbour and hammer frozen mice into his lawn.

Cougar

That’s not true. Budgerigar and hamster shit doesn’t stink.

Who has ever had to put a cage outside because the budgerigar, or hamster, has just had a shit?

I had dwarf hamsters for a while. “Stink” might be hyperbolic, but they certainly smelled if the cages were overdue mucking out.

I don’t know the first thing about birds so I’ll take your word about budgies. Don’t they excrete guano rather than faeces?

@cougar most likely the urine? We used to end up with the OH nieces hamsters when they went on holiday and it was the pee.

We don’t look after them anymore due to having a Greyhound. But that’s also why I don’t have a cat shit problem in the garden.

To the OP she is available for hire.

ernielynch

I had dwarf hamsters for a while. “Stink” might be hyperbolic, but they certainly smelled if the cages were overdue mucking out.

Yeah but was there ever a case of “quick, open the windows, the hamster has just had a shit again”?

Which can certainly be the case when sharing your home with a cat.

dyna-ti

Since once of our friends’ dogs was killed eating poison in a public park in Glasgow’s south side,

I think I came across one of these incidents riding home from the supermarket. Someone had left several bourbon creams scattered on the pavement and this was in the heart of Newlaands, so i would think that unusual enough. I kicked them into the gutter, crushed them under foot and spread it about so it was pretty much inedible(ok, maybe lickable)

I maybe should have reported it but i think what i did was enough.

Cougar

most likely the urine? We used to end up with the OH nieces hamsters when they went on holiday and it was the pee.

🤷‍♂️ Could be. I’ll be honest, I didn’t perform a forensic analysis of the cage contents beyond noticing that occasionally ponged a bit.

Yeah but was there ever a case of “quick, open the windows, the hamster has just had a shit again”?

Our dwarf hamsters’ poos were smaller than a grain of rice, it’d have to be exceptionally nasty for that to be the case. What comes out of our cats is often larger than the hamsters themselves were.

Are you seriously pulling me up on a comment that “everyone’s shit stinks” because you believe you’ve found an exception? Slow Argument Day today, is it? Jeez.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 140 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.