Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Fatty sold, need 27.5 Plus advice…
  • Bream
    Free Member

So, decided the fatty was too fat so sold it today.

Before I push the button and buy a Genesis Tarn Plus does anyone have any advice or tips for alternatives?

Budget is £1500 and looking either fully rigid or maybe short travel fork.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’ve tried a few and the trek stache is a good ride and very versatile with three wheel size choices.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Evans has a good range of plus bikes. I like the Jamis Dragonslayer – the 2016 model had great reviews from the US bike press and you see pix of it on quite a few US bikepacking magazines. The 2017 is nice too. Looks pretty versatile as its got rack mounts and loads of bottle cage bosses.

km79
    Free Member

A new Surly Krampus has been announced for next year. There may be some bargains to be had on the original model. 29+ the one that gave birth to the trend.

Bream
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, I can see some 2016 deals but my concern is that last years bikes are not proper Plus ready, given things change so quick etc…?

Found a 2016 Genesis Tarn 20 27 Plus for £1400 with 25% discount, seems quite good.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The Tarn did get good reviews so if your not 29+ curious you won’t go far wrong.

Hoff

Stooge?

firestarter
    Free Member

I sold my fatty and bought a pinnacle ramin 3 plus I love it. And you’ll have loads of cash left for upgrades 🙂

dukeduvet

Sonder transmitter. 1400 quid gets you top value kit and reviews good. That includes yari fork and reverb dropper. Pipedream Sirius plus looks good too

NormalMan

Based purely on my soft spot for Orbea. The Loki?

pigyn
    Free Member

Get a Loki they are amazing!
    If you can get to Edinburgh we have a demo bike. I liked our old demo so much I stole it before anyone else rode it, then ordered another one for the shop. I say don’t bother with steel for 3″ tyres, what’s the point? Compliance you can’t feel through 3″ of squish?
    My loki weighs 27.9lbs with vaults and a mudguard, that’s with american classic smoking gun wheelset and Chronicles.

The H10 has been our most popular and is £1500 with SLX M8000. Another good choice would be the cheaper version with NX drive, then do the 34 fork and M8000 brake upgrades from the factory. Then you get better brakes for slightly less than the H10. Just add a dropper after.

I have a lot of love for the loki…

Bream
    Free Member

Interesting options… Sonder out of stock till mid October in L!

Bream
    Free Member

I live in Sweden so demos are impossible unfortunately!

LMT
    Free Member

I cancelled my stache order as thought 29er + was too much, I did however order the fuse expert 27.5 + I’m hoping will do the job!

m0rk
    Free Member

I wanted a Tarn, but couldn’t get my size.

Ended up with a Norco Torrent 7.1 – and I love it. barely ridden anything since

bonesetter
    Free Member

Stache 5

Just brilliant in either plus 29/27.5

Tarn seems weight forward to me

rmgvtec
    Free Member

I have a cannondale beast of the east and its made biking fun for me again, brilliant tool

Bream
    Free Member

How’s the sizing on the Stache?

Not sure why I was set on a steel frame, but open for options now.

fd3chris
    Free Member

I’m 5/11 ish and ride the 19.5-actual 18.5 with a 50mm stem and it’s spot on.

Del

salsa timberack worth a look IMO

andytheadequate
    Free Member

I love the look of the rigid Marin Pine. There’s a few 2016 models going cheap on the internet (£600 ish), and the 2017 ones have just been released too (£850 ish).

trailwagger
    Free Member

+1 for the Cannondales, i have a Cujo (Beast of the Easts baby brother) and it rips!

Bream
    Free Member

Anyone know of any Stache deals about for size 19.5? Or Loki size L?

Might up to budget to 2k for the right deal.

bonesetter
    Free Member

I think Evans have the Stache

Bream
    Free Member

Couldn’t find the Stache at Evans!?

Bream
    Free Member

Found a good deal on a ex-demo Stache 9 but it’s frame size 18,5 and at 6’2″ I believe I need the 19,5. Any comments?

bonesetter
    Free Member

The Stache seems to ‘come up small’

I’m 6’3″ and was on the fence to what size to go for. I usually go smaller as most 29er’s I have experienced can ride like a gate when they get big

Went 21.5 in the end and so glad I did

dawson

Has that been photoshopped? Looks like a kids bike! 😉

madxela
    Free Member

Marin pine mountain – got one of the bikemonger ex demos – it’s ace!!

bonesetter
    Free Member

dawson – Member
    Has that been photoshopped? Looks like a kids bike!

lol I agree, it does look a little odd – the front wheel is a 29+ (B+ rear)

Bream
    Free Member

Sorted 8)

Just need to fetch it next week now and I’m rather excited at the prospect 😀

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Norco Torrent 7.1 got my vote, bloomin loving it too 8)

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Fatty sold, need 27.5 Plus advice…’ is closed to new replies.