Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Fantastic Epic Days on the Bike – Anyone Else Had One?
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

All my friends and my girlfriend are away until Monday and I don´t have any guests until Tuesday but I had to tell someone what a fantastic ride I had today.

We do a ride that goes part way up this big ridge of mountains but I´ve never been further than part way up. Today I set off by myself with my bag full of pizza and sweets and followed the ridge as far as I could. Lots of pushing and carrying and riding but I didn´t take any easy options, just stayed on watershed of the ridge. I started a bit before 3pm and ended up 1000m above and 25km away from the van at 7pm pointing down this knife edge ridge with a sliver of rocky singletrack running down it. I didn´t see anyone all day, the nearest access road was where I parked so nobody apart from other bikers could be there at that time because they wouldn´t get back before dark. 2 hours of techy traversing, short climbs and descending to the van and I made it just as it was getting dim in the woods. I´ll probably never take anyone else there unless I can find an easier way up but it was amazing to just be there.

I have blisters on my hands and on my feet and every muscle I have aches. I finished in a bar there and had a 3 courser with "Caña Limon" (Kas Limon + Beer) watching the sun set on the mountains. Incredible day. I didn´t even stop to take pictures!

I feel better having shared that! Anyone else had a great days epic riding?

corroded
    Free Member

Sounds like a great ride. For me, an epic day in the saddle has to have an element of exploration and uncertainty. My last one was probably a few years ago around Riva del Garda, which ended with me bashing a way down a hillside and tumbling out onto the road back to town just as the sun was setting. I love that feeling of relief when you know everything's going to be OK!

doug_basqueMTB.com

It´s so true, for the true epic feeling there has to be that moment of thinking you´ve bitten off more than you can chew!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Fantastic Epic Days on the Bike – Anyone Else Had One?’ is closed to new replies.