Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Family Transport By Bike – What Are The Options?
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

We recently got rid of the car and are now looking for options to transport the kids around the city. Three kids 4, 2 and 9months.

What options are there. We currently have a tag along with a trailer attached but are looking for a more elegant solution.

Kbrembo
    Free Member

Click Here

Common in Amsterdam

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You know the answer 🙂

I have seen a few times a family with a tandem with kiddy seat and a duel seat tagalong 5 up thru the city

druidh
    Free Member

Saw a lovely adult/child tandem last week. Couple of them would do it?

br
    Free Member

A car?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Actually in all seriousness one of teh dutch cargo bikes maybe

Common in the Netherlands – two kids in that easy third on a bar or rear mounted seat?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

TJ – I’m pushing for a tandem with a tandem tag along and a bike seat. Just interested to see what other options are out there.

b r – the journey we will be doing daily would take over an hour in car but less than half that by bike thanks to edinburgh’s extensive network of bike paths.

binners

Couple of Burley trailers and you’re sorted. I used to do the school run every day with my two in the trailer. Drop one off at nursery, one in school. Leave the trailer at school for later then ride, unencumbered by the trailer, into the office. Its a mighty fine way to start the day for all involved*. People love seeing kids in the trailer. Everyone would smile and wave at them. They loved it!! Repeat the excercise in reverse of an afternoon

*in the summer obviously. And I was self employed so I could turn up at the office if and when i damn well felt like it 🙂

Oh… and TJ – the other week I saw something similar to waht you’ve posted, but bigger. And it was a guy i used to work with ferrying his three kids around. He had a tailback of disgruntled traffic stretching out into the distance behind him. The urban equivalent of a tractor 😀

toys19
    Free Member

kona ute can do double seats at the rear.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SBZ – you guys ridden one? Borrow ours for a shot if you want.

I like the look of the bakfiets cargo bike – the problemn witha tandem and tandem tagalong is yo need both adults – a bakfiets with an extra kid seat and a ordinary bike with a kid seat gives you more flexibility.

Best I saw – but very expensive ws a tandem with S&S couplers and 3 middle sections – could be assembled as a 2 3 4 or 5 seater. Something like this

Stoner
    Free Member

Two line-astern on the Xtracycle deck, and the littlest hobo in the trailer.

[img]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_t5w43Q6t-Qs/TbXq_fQdQnI/AAAAAAAAMxE/AyQsFAtQFDM/s640/P1000825.JPG[/img]

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Tj – I have ridden one a fair bit. Not sure that Dawn has though, so we’ll probably take you up on that offer at some point. Cheers.

Stoner – that looks like a good option.

Stoner
    Free Member

your 2yr old would be better in the trailer for now (so croozer 535 two seater would be a good idea)

I put Jr Sr on the back when he turned 4.
    I can also put a child seat on the bike when Jr Sr was 3yrs old as I couldnt trust him to stay on the xtracycle deck 🙂 Also leaves the deckand panniers free for the shopping.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Stoner – we already have a Chariot Corsaire XL trailer.

I am liking the look of that xtracycle though.

Mike_D
    Free Member

We trundle about on this — just add trailer for third child:

(Daughter (stoking) is 5, son (half asleep) is 2)

[Edit: plus a solo for the other parent, obviously 😉 ]

lardman
    Free Member

I Use a Yuba Mundo…
    It can take the two child seats on the back no problem, then a tag-a-long for the eldest.
    The wife has to pedal herself.
    Great bike, and can carry 200 kilo’s

Yuba

superfli
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    TJ – I’m pushing for a tandem with a tandem tag along and a bike seat. Just interested to see what other options are out there

Come on SBZ, dont be a hypocrite now 😛

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    You would not catch me putting a kid on one of those weeride things or a rear child seat. Absolute death traps as far as i am concerned. Way too much potential for hitting the kids head off the ground, crushing them as you fall on them etc etc etc

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/whats-the-gnarliest-place-youve-ridden-with-a-child-trailer/page/2

Disclaimer – Unless of course I’m miss understanding your meaning of “bike seat”

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Family Transport By Bike – What Are The Options?’ is closed to new replies.