Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Family tent opinions
  • Cougar

</stealthadvert>

Cougar

Just checked, I misremembered the model, sorry. It’s a Nevada MP. The green one if you google it. It’s a fantastic bit of kit but I have no use for it any more.

TheBrick
    Free Member

So in fact you do get why people find these useful – you just trained yourself not to need them? Its a bit like saying – I don’t get why people are obsessed by ebikes – I just got fitter instead

You could say that. I call it being an grown up. Which is why I make sure my kids are not beholden to needing dark rooms.

andrewreay

Thanks Cougar – just DM’d you.

fenboy

Eh? I don’t understand why it is taking you long to take an airbeam down? You undo a valve on each beam then fold/roll the tent. Definitley quicker than sliding all the poles our my old one (which would get caught on the sleeve etc). Why is it worse in the rain?

I find it a pain getting all the air out and it takes much longer to do this than with a pole tent IMO then getting it back in the bag is also hard work. I follow all the usual tips but if its raining having to lie/kneel on the tent to move the air out and fold it all is unpleaseant and takes longer… thats all really. In reality not much in it i guess but in hindsight i might have preferred poles.

Cougar

Can you not put the pump in reverse to suck all the air back out?

Cougar

Andrew has declined my Big Daft Tent as it’s not big (or daft) enough for his needs. So if anyone else wants it, shout.

fenboy

yup you can pump it out, but its quicker/easier to lie on it while folding hence comments about no fun in the rain. TBH its not that big a deal and the tents great but packing up next to someone with a decent poled tent it was apparent the bulk, swearing and faff level was much higher on my pitch!

tomparkin

Left field option (and hear me out!)…

This year we’ve switched from a big 6 berth poly cotton family tent to a folding caravan, and it has been fantastic.

It’s sort of like a halfway house between a tent and a full on caravan.

Compared to our tent the van is much more comfortable to live in, with space for two adults and three kids. Being up off the ground makes a nice warm sleeping space, and a dedicated kitchen is ace. It doesn’t get as hot or cold as the tent did, which is also nice.

From a logistical perspective the van is like a large trailer when folded and is easy to tow (we have a 1.8l petrol car and that’s fine), and you gain a lot of room in the car since you’re not carrying a tent, beds, kitchen stuff, etc.

Cost wise the van is probably comparable with one of the more swish 1500 quid tents which have been discussed, so it’s not cheap, but if you’re looking at that end of the market might be reasonable.

Pictures…

https://instagram.com/ourrapidoexportmatic?utm_medium=copy_link

Downsides: they’re not a tent (if you’re a total tent aficionado), you need probably a drive at least to store one on, and the Rapido we have is a vintage thing these days.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Family tent opinions’ is closed to new replies.