Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Family Freindly routes / stuff to do – Wales – near Aberystwyth – Cambrian Mts
  • huggis
    Free Member

Looking for ideas on good routes, pubs and sights and for summer holiday. Thought this year I'd start planning a bit!

Kids are in trailers and tag-alongs so routes around 15 miles ideal.

Did the Barmouth – Dolgellau loop last year which was brilliant.

huggis
    Free Member

bump…….:wink:

Tiger6791

do the Mawddach again?

The blue route at Coed-y-Brenin?

Aberdovey to Tywyn on the beach? (tide going out)

Pickers

Have a look at the Alternative Technology Centre near Machynlleth
    Been a few years since we took our kids there but they loved it.
    Reasonable access for bikes I think

huggis
    Free Member

aye the folk in the cottage next to our went to the Alternative Technology Centre last year with their kids who weren't too impressed 😥

Maybe to Mawddach again as it was ace!

Nick

We took our kids (9 & 6) to CAT during the Dyfi Enduro weekend, we all found it really interesting, although they need to sort out the usual assortment of broken hands-on things.

Conversely we found the Mawddach pretty boring plus there was a sodding great bloody headwind all the way back.

huggis
    Free Member

Nick – aye we headed over the hilly route – with out that it wouldn't have been nearly as good. probably best day of the hols.

nostoc
    Free Member

http://www.ystwythtrail.org.uk

Aber to Tregaron mostly along old railway.It might be nearer 100% completion than the website suggests. Never done it – a bit flat for me.
    Also google "rheidol trail"- Aber to Cwmrheidol on paths and quiet roads (and a bit of A44)

Surfr
    Free Member

Ystwyth trail is great for family. It's complete as far as I'm aware but I've only ridden it out to Pontrhydygroes so far.

Rheidol is good for the first 10ish miles but take a massive steep incline to jump out of the Rheidiol valley up to Aberffrwd. Honestly, it's akin to a brick wall at the start then continues to drag up. I doubt it's doable with a trailer.

huggis
    Free Member

cheers all – nothing too flat (wife kicks me in ribs)

pault41
    Free Member

Tregaron to Aber complete, good ideal family stuff, stop off mid route around Trawscoed, good circuit in woods, picnic area.
    Strata florida worth detour , woods above to .
    Teifi pools , road over mountains to Ryader , but poss question with trailer.
    If you want local knowledge nearer date shout e mail in profile.
    Paul.

huggis
    Free Member

cheers paul – may well be in touch nearer the time 🙂

timber

have a look around the Hafod too, most of it is forest road and apart from a few paths, is wide enough for a trailer, just remember one being a bit tight next to the river

if you search far enough you'll find a tunnel to the back of a waterfall

huggis
    Free Member

bump

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Family Freindly routes / stuff to do – Wales – near Aberystwyth – Cambrian Mts’ is closed to new replies.