Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 874 total)
  • Extreme heat warning doom
  • Been doing jobs interspersed with beer drinking and pub today. Just in bed now with the same duvet I have all year.

Running around tomorrow, but hopefully sunbathing in the afternoon.

Maybe working tomorrow night (darn sarf) in full motorway ppe then sleeping in the caravan till mid day Tuesday. Then I’ll drink some beer, have a bbq and sunbathe until it’s time to go to work again. If I get too warm, I’ll dip into the shade for a little while

I’d be very surprised if I die

Let’s see what the next few days brings!

Mass hysteria probably

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d be very surprised if I die

I’m not worried about you, I’m a bit more concerned about my old dad though.

ElShalimo

Mass hysteria probably……🤦

As with the COVID threads you’re displaying a woeful lack of understanding of how this affects other people

I’m not worried about you, I’m a bit more concerned about my old dad though.

And rightly so, but with a little care, I’m sure he’ll be fine

My display of disparagy is aimed at the fit and healthy bedwetters that are going to barricade themselves indoors and run themselves under the tap every 2 minutes

As with the COVID threads you’re displaying a woeful lack of understanding of how this affects other people

See above – I accept how it affects ‘some’ people, but there are many people also over reacting

Protect the vulnerable, the rest of us will be fine if we aren’t stupid about it

pondo

hopefully sunbathing in the afternoon.

Great, enjoy – I get that you don’t give a shit, hope the braggadocio doesn’t backfire. You enjoy the warmth whilst the old and vulnerable take steps not to die

Normally, the north-facing nature of our living room is inconvenient, but that’s where I’m working tomorrow and Tuesday. Good luck everbody, and thanks for the tips.

ernielynch

Just in bed now with the same duvet I have all year.

You’re a proper geezer mate.

TiRed

Swim in the Thames with the dog this evening. Will be the same tomorrow to cool down. Loft office may peak at or about 40 so I may have to decamp to the cooler North facing dining room. We have a sun awning and it keeps the back of the house noticeably cooler. Blinds at the front (south) have been closed all day. Dog chilling earlier.

theotherjonv

the rest of us will be fine if we aren’t stupid about it

Suspect just trolling (again) but it’s been well documented that 50% of the population is of below average intelligence and a number of those need pointing out exactly what ‘not being stupid about it’ means.

And then in a few days time, if we haven’t had 100’s or 1000’s of deaths (because people weren’t stupid) there’ll be a rush to point out what an over reaction it all was.

See also Covid, millenium bug, etc…….

molgrips
    Free Member

Protect the vulnerable

That is literally what we’re being told, and you’re complaining about that and then telling us the same thing.

there are many people also over reacting

Who? Where?

Unless.. you’re not reading the Daily Mail, are you?

Great, enjoy – I get that you don’t give a shit, hope the braggadocio doesn’t backfire. You enjoy the warmth whilst the old and vulnerable take steps not to die

It won’t backfire – unless I get skin cancer a bit down the line 🤷. I wasn’t talking about the old and vulnerable, was I?

thanks for the tips.

You really need to rely on STW for tips to stay cool?

I actually watched a news snippet earlier with a teacher gesticulating madly about how they were putting measures in place to protect the kids – pulling down blinds, opening windows for a breeze and bringing fans in. Revolutionary

Who? Where?

Have you actually read this thread?

millenium bug, etc…….

Wait, what? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

ernielynch

Have you actually read this thread?

Shouldn’t you be getting some kip with all that hard drinking and sunbathing that you have planned for tomorrow?

Btw what tog is your duvet?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Btw what tog is your duvet?

Mine’s 15 but I’ve wheeled the chest-freezer into my bedroom.

pondo

You really need to rely on STW for tips to stay cool?

Rely on them? I’m gonna say no, but I’m grateful for them. You?

Ah – I forget, you’re fine, but screw the bed-wetters, right?

frankconway

Yet more drivel from dave the blade/ASTR – wot a geezer!
    That there covid – yeah, bring it on; won’t affect me cos I’m a geezer living in a caravan.
    Temperature warnings? Not for me mate cos I’m a geezer – and I wear PPE.
    That there ebola or marburg disease – bring it on; bish bash bosh cos I’m a geezer in PPE.

somafunk

reluctantjumper

Well the kids finally gave up splashing around at 11pm so have had 4 hours of interrupted sleep all night. None murdered but it was close at one point.

I’m really not built to cope with heat, especially not the muggy stuff we get. Not looking forward to today at all!

piemonster

Well, this thread is being trolled to ****

plus-one

I’m really worried as I’m “Hot stuff” form a queue ladies 😉

I may self combust 🙁

Poopscoop

Definitely concerned here.

For my old mum, reasons similar to Covid.

On top of that my 2 tear old grandson is liable to have seizures on hot days, particularly if he has even a hint of an infection in his throat or something. He had one about a week ago.

His mum is really worried and I’ve took away her main support in the shape of my son. Hes standing in for my sister looking after my old mum whilst I’m in hospital as my sister has the emotional fortitude of a chocolate teapot.

Thanks sis.

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s nice to be in the office @ 20c, it was already 25c in my flat when I left at 7am

anagallis_arvensis

Warm weather protocols enacted, I took my spare thermal top and jacket out of my bag for this morning’s ride to work!!

tomhoward

I’m wondering how long into the day it will be before someone in the office will decide it’s too cold and turn the air conditioning off. 10am I reckon.

matt_outandabout

Along with many other businesses, we’ve cancelled all work at customer sites within the ‘Red Weather’ area. We are also encouraging staff to work where is coolest and convenient – home or office. Just as we do when it snows / gales / rain and there’s Red Weather warnings.

While I too feel there’s an air of “Don’t panic, Captain Maintaining!”, the next 48hrs will see deaths occur among our vulnerable people.

And for many many others it will be pretty insufferably. Me included – I’m in the Premier Inn in Winchester for the week… 🙁

anagallis_arvensis

I’m in the Premier Inn in Winchester for the week…

Did you bring your bike?

Drac

Currently at my parents as I’ve been helping them prep their (our) camper van they purchased on Friday. It’s getting really hot already, suggesting 34c here tomorrow. That’s really not heard of at all. It was to hit 25 last week, in there sheltered garden got to 31c

I’ll tell them to wear PPE have a bbq and just use their normal duvet. Proper geezas!

dantsw13

My FiL has just caught Covid yesterday. Their London suburbs 1970s terrace house is like a greenhouse at the best of times so he’s in for a crap few days. 🤞🏻

matt_outandabout

Did you bring your bike?

Sadly I’m in a people carrier with wings, hand baggage only. Although I do get a Tunnocks and a brew.

martinhutch

Beware of unintended consequences…

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in the Premier Inn in Winchester for the week

It’s lovely there, you can do some nice walks from town, but a road bike is ideal.

theotherjonv

radio said over 1000 deaths in the last week in Spain and Portugal, countries  where hot weather is not uncommon. I suspect they were just being stupid though and need to up their mental fortitude.

In all seriousness, I hope everyone does stay safe.

Blummin warm already!

jam-bo

I’ve come into the office today as they have aircon, and my house doesnt…

richmtb

The rhetoric around this extreme weather is the dumbest i’ve ever heard.

“We coped in ’76”

Err.. you might have personally survived but there were thousands of excess deaths. You are now 46 years older and the temperatures today and tomorrow will be much higher than the peak in 1976

“People go abroad for this weather”

No they don’t. There isn’t a single holiday destination that sees temps regularly reach 40C. Average July / August temperatures in Canaries, Balearics or Greek Islands are 28-30C. Guess how the local would describe 40C – a heatwave.

“Its just scaremongering”

People are going to literally die from the heat.

I lived in Australia in the 1980’s, it was drummed into everyone in school the dangers of extreme heat, 35C was pretty common in Sydney but days over 40C were rare but I experienced a few. Really hot days involved staying indoors and moving as little as possible, sometimes we just used to lie on the tiled floor in the kitchen which was the coolest room.

The School uniform was shorts, short sleeves shirt and crucially, a cap. The cap was pretty much a life saver, we used to wet them at break time before we went out in the sun, but if it was over 35C there was a large shaded courtyard we used at breaks instead.

Slip , Slap, Slop was a national slogan. We were taught how to recognise heatstroke and what to do to treat it. No one ignored the dangers. Yes Australia absolutely has temperatures comparable to this heatwave but in a culture educated to deal with it.

ElShalimo

@Drac – I’m up in Embleton. I hope it’s not 34C tomorrow, over got a ride planned

🌡️🚲🔥🍺

airvent
    Free Member

Someone in our office seems to have some kind of undiagnosed health condition where it can be 40C indoors and they still feel cold, yet this person seems to be given free reign of the air conditioning controls.

jamesoz

this person seems to be given free reign of the air conditioning controls.

I used to work on BMS systems. It wasn’t unheard of to fit dummy controllers in offices to stop folks complaining about temperature.

ernielynch

Yes Australia absolutely has temperatures comparable to this heatwave but in a culture educated to deal with it.

Australia also has the highest rates of skin cancer in the world. 10 times the global average in fact.

Interestingly, and not far behind, Denmark has the third highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

It is almost as if sensible precautions is an even more important factor than extremely high temperatures.

rone

This country moved even further towards the Libertarian agenda during covid thanks to the shite-house anti-MSM (but wholly MSM themselves) hosts of flag UK radio.

Basically we stopped caring about each other so much because it became a battle between those that have done okay and those that suffered.

Flag shite radio pushed and pushed this and are doing it again. It really ain’t woke to say take care of yourselves.

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.