Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 874 total)
  • Extreme heat warning doom
  • airvent
    Free Member

I used to work on BMS systems. It wasn’t unheard of to fit dummy controllers in offices to stop folks complaining about temperature.

I’ve done quite a bit of work with heating and BMS systems before and remember once in student accomodation we had valves fitted to control the radiator in each bedroom, anyway the students soon figured out that you could just break the cover open and remove the batteries that powered the communication link and the defaulted the valve to fully open instead of closed. The chinese students in particular liked the heating on for around 11 months of the year as it was hotter where they came from.

tazzymtb

well we’re working in incinerators, doing heat stress assessment and confined space work in fuel storage systems, always a laugh in full fire proofs and SCBA.
    More breaks, electrolytes and crack on really, its no where near as bad as doing similar works in the middle east or places where the RH is nearly 100%.
    We Brits really are rubbish with any sort of change in weather from the slightly drizzly and mild.

anagallis_arvensis

Sadly I’m in a people carrier with wings, hand baggage only. Although I do get a Tunnocks and a brew.

Shame, some nice riding nearby

mert
    Free Member

I’m unloading and stacking firewood.

Thankfully it’s not even reached 20 yet, and it’s forecast to drizzle gently all day…

tomhoward

There are people in the office with coats on. Air con is set to 21degrees.

Duggan

Manchester here. Seems its going to max-out at 36degrees today and tomorrow. I ran my hill-repeats today at 7am before work rather than later on at 5pm, though I would potentially have done them at 5pm if I hadn’t had any choice.

For me personally I don’t think anything else will change in my routine, will be back to normal temperatures on Thursday but I am quite lucky that the back of our house in the extension is generally very cool (though not so lucky with the heating bill in winter).

lunge

I’ve come into the office today as they have aircon, and my house doesnt…

This is my approach as well.
    They’ve relaxed the dress code so smart shorts are acceptable as well so I’m quite happy here. A drive in an air conditioned car to an air conditioned office means it could be much worse.
    Sadly, tomorrow I will be back at home in a room where is like a greenhouse.

jimdubleyou

Back of the house ( South facing, in sunny Twickenham) is boiling already. Got all the doors shut to keep it on that side of the house.

Didn’t fancy buckled tracks commuter lottery so putting up with being warm at home.

Thermometer in home office reads 26.1C already so I’m expecting a hot one.

anagallis_arvensis

My friend at another school had a thermometer in her room, 36°C at 7.30 am…… Nice. Hope the Hobbit don’t hit her when they lob a ring in later!!

binners

I’m sat in an ice bath in my Speedo’s.

The other people in the office are looking at me jealously. I think that look is jealousy, anyway

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

WFH because of the heat… Schools might go wobbly and send the kids home.

My house is categorically awful with temperature in both summer and winter… although it averages out OK in spring and autumn.

An office with air con would be lovely.

winston
    Free Member

“The other people in the office are looking at me jealously.”

The other prople in the office are your wife and cat. Your wife’s expression is pity (for herself) and the cat is just frustrated he’s not bigger and can eat you.

fossy

Currently sat in the greenhouse – aka conservatory. Should be OK until early afternoon when the sun hit’s it. We’ve got the awning out to part shade it, and a pop-up gazebo to reduce some of the direct sun. I’m in the office tomorrow, but will most likely ride in. Not air conditioned, but has some fancy bore hole pumped water heat/cooling system, so stays pretty constant temperature.

molgrips
    Free Member

We Brits really are rubbish with any sort of change in weather from the slightly drizzly and mild.

Of course, you get used to what you live with. I’ve worked with Indians who couldn’t cope when the temperature got down to 0C. And I’ve been with Americans who couldn’t comprehend how to be on holiday at the seaside when it’s cool and damp 🙂

I’m wondering if I should turn off my big monitor and just use the laptop.

kilo

Cycled in at 0630, quite nice and very quiet. Shorts an t shirt in the office. My particular office is fine but the rest of the floor is bitterly cold
    and quite unpleasant- only my employers could manage to freeze people on the hottest day ever.

stumpy01

My nob-head tory MP filling the world with grace & understanding:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/uk-heatwave-tory-mp-britons-cowards-snowflakes-155553419.html

“It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting. Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.

joefm

Not looking forward to football this evening… think i might die/sweat a lot.

zilog6128

“It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting. Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.

well, which is it? How can we be “snowflake Britain”, if “most of us are not snowflakes”?
    **** thick ****. 😃

richmtb

This is exactly the level of shitehawkery and stupidity I’m talking about.

“Its just summer we’ve coped before”

No we haven’t!

Record breaking temperatures literally means its never been this hot before.

How hard is this to understand for these malignant, misinformed, moronic pustules that have to turn everything into a sodding culture war.

Klunk
    Free Member

on my first pint of orange and ice, slipping down very nicely 🙂

ernielynch

“This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

Indeed, in the old empire-building world these temperatures were nothing that a sturdy pith helmet and a baggy pair of shorts, just above the knees, couldn’t deal with.

Built character too.

Edit: And long socks to just below knees, I forgot about that. In the old days when men were men, and women weren’t, you only needed to keep your knees cool to deal with the sweltering heat.

ossify

the cat is just frustrated he’s not bigger and can eat you.

I’d look out if I were you, he’s probably thinking about pouncing on the budgie…

My wife has lived in both Helsinki and Madrid. She gets to simultaneously complain and say “this is nothing” regardless of what the weather is doing!

ayjaydoubleyou

Indeed, in the old empire-building world these temperatures were nothing that a sturdy pith helmet and a baggy pair of shorts, just above the knees, couldn’t deal with.

and alcohol, the solution to all colonial issues.

kayak23

Getting a bit hot behind the knees in Warwick.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Another who has come to the office too enjoy the air con here. Booked a desk for tomorrow too. London roads seem quite quiet as I cycled in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m a snowflake. I’m concerned for the vulnerable people, I think that a caring society is much better than one that tells you to grin and bear it and then starts banging on about ‘back in my day’ as if it’s some kind of competition on how to be as shitty, boring and thoughtless as possible.

However I am not personally afraid of the heat – probably going to go for a ride after this call – so I’m definitely not melting. Nor am I afraid of telling the self-important braggards to shut the **** up and stop being such arseholes.

pondo

BiL said one of his colleagues is having a boiler fitted today – perfect day to whack the thermostat up to 42 to make sure it all works…

grahamt1980

Alas we can’t make that tory mp go out and work in the fields of his constituency. He looks nicely overweight so am sure there would be a bye election soon after his day out.
    Idiotic knuckledragger

lunge

Hill repeats pencilled in for tonight at the running club, I can see those being scrapped and replaced by a slow run around the woods.
    I’m more worried about my idiotic dog who thinks that despite being a black greyhound who is susceptible to heat the best place for him to be is in the middle of the lawn in direct sunlight.

kilo

London roads seem quite quiet as I cycled in.

Just walked to the local Waitrose at Vauxhall and the heat, out of the shade, is fairly savage. Don’t think it’ll be a long day here.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Well, the extreme heat didn’t happen in the sunny South. Very disappointed, I was even cold enough at one point that I had to put a t shirt on

Klunk
    Free Member

hit 31 @ 11.00 here

scotroutes

Hill repeats pencilled in for tonight at the running club, I can see those being scrapped and replaced by a slow run around the woods.

Our running plan is likely to be dumped in favour of a dunk in Loch Morlich.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

East Devon doesn’t appear to have got the Memo, currently 24 degrees and been raining this morning. Its quite pleasent really.

mattyfez

30c here and set to hit about 35 late afternoon.
    Might have to sleep downstairs tonight and tomorrow as the min night time temperatures upstairs just won’t be pleasent for sleeping..

winston
    Free Member

Think I’m going to go water the bunny – and thats not a euphemism

footflaps

Have an 8000 BTU Aircon unit on full blast in the living room – managing quite well to keep our open plan downstairs to below 25C at the moment. The area is well outside it’s spec, so its only going to take the edge of the heat – not enough capacity to significantly chill the entire floor.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Only just passed 30 here in Shropshire, but we are approx at 600ft.

Not sure how much hotter it will get maybe 35 max ?

Still managing to keep the house at 22 with curtains and windows closed

tomhoward

Air con has now been switched off in the office. It’s 30 degrees outside.

Caher

Heard a tip on the radio for homeworkers: open your loft door. Last summer there was a wasps nest in mine so this will be a surgical procedure.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 874 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.