Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Extra Long Skewers for use with a Surly Chain Tug on a singlespeed?
  • jlc
    Free Member

Just building up my first singlespeed. It is a Genesis IO frame and I am using a normal shimano XT wheelset, and a surly chain tug to stop the wheel moving forward. The chain tug attaches to the outside of the frame and therefore I think I need an xl long skewer, if not the thread will hardly go through the nut. It looks as though its goes through a maximum of half the nut. I guess this isn't safe?
    So I am looking for a skewer which I can fasten tightly to stop the wheel moving backwards under braking. Anything available or any solutions? Tried the Halo hex bolt skewer but that looks too short.
    Thanks

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Sure you got it set up right, I use a Surly tug and XT skewer with no problems. Not had it long tho' and without going out to look at it I couldn't tell you how it is set up, pretty sure I have it set up on the outside too.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Halo do an extra long one too, for just that reason -that will most likely be fine (iirc its abiout 8mm longer than the normal one). I got mine from charliethebikemonger.com

singlespeedstu

A standard XT QR'll be long enough.

bassspine
    Free Member

I didn't need a non-standard Q/R on mine either.

jlc
    Free Member

Well the way I have set up the chaintug it adds about 5mm to the width of the frame, the drops out are about 6mm also. Maybe I am doing something completely wrong.

jlc
    Free Member

Is anyone using the Genesis IO and Surly Chain Tug combination?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I just use the standard grub screws on my IO ID no tugs required as they stp the wheel moving forward

jlc
    Free Member

I just heard a few people mention about the grub screws bending, so was hoping to use a chaintug to tension the chain easier and also extra reassurance. Looks as though I need an extra long skewers if they do ones.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The grub screws are easy and they work. I am going to mod mine to have thumb wheels on them. Try it first using them. Its the simplest way. KISS

Anthony
    Free Member

The grub-screws on the IO do bend quite easily when your using a bolt-up hub. The grub-screws catch in the threads of the axle bolt and as you tighten or loosen the hub the end of the grub screw gets dragged along with it so they bend. A good practice is to loosen the grub-screw before undoing the axle bolt so it's not in contact with it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Extra Long Skewers for use with a Surly Chain Tug on a singlespeed?’ is closed to new replies.