Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Experiences please with Volvo XC70 diesel, Subaru Outback diesel, Allroad diesel
  • slackalice
    Free Member

Hello all!

I would really appreciate your thoughts/experiences/real life opinions with the short list of vehicles in the title or any other alternatives I may have missed.

Essentially, I need something that will cope with being a daily work car transporting me and my numerous carpentry tools and materials, good on long motorway runs (hants to norfolk at least once a month), will return at least mid-thirties mpg, 4wd (obviously),able to tow a twin axle braked 8 x 4 trailer from time to time (trailer rated at 2700kgs, but unlikely to be more than 1100kgs all up), reliable and will fit my bike inside (hence estate) and also act as a family car at weekends. I’m looking to spend circa £10k, although with the right motivation, i.e low miles, could up that budget to £14k

I do at least 20k miles per year, so it’s gotta be comfy and not hard work to drive.

I currently have an aging e-class 300TD estate that takes all the abuse, delivers reasonable mpg (32ish on the long norfolk runs), takes all the stuff I can throw inside it, the only problem being it has low ride height and sinks at the first sign of boggyness/marsh (i.e norfolk broads) that requires it to be pulled out every time and I’m bored of that. Apart from that it’s fab to drive!

There’s possibly more info I could divulge, but it’s slipped my mind, so please ask away.

I appreciate there being a diverse range of tastes and opinions on here, which is exactly why I’m asking!

Many thanks and much appreciated 😀

pjm84
    Free Member

I had a 2005 XC70. Really liked the car. Had it for 30months / 37.5k miles and P/EX for a newer V70 1.6D.

I miss the 4 wheel drive, the automatic, but not the consumption (32ish / vs 50mpg). The steering on the old XC was a little vague, a buddy called it boat like, I thought it was more barge like. You got used to it.

Both the Volvos are comfortable but I would have to say I prefer the seats in the older car.

If the old XC70 did 50mpg and cost £30 VED I wouldn’t have sold it. Don’t be fooled by the computer display. 40mpg indicated on the computer equals 32ish. Generally deduct 8mpg from the readout to give a more realistic figure.

Be careful with the 4wd. I purchased my car from Volvo and the system was not working. Luckily they covered the cost of the repair (£1200)

slackalice
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up pjm. Their ability to drink fuel is disconcerting, and was kinda hoping the diesel would return more. I ran a 2.5 petrol 850 for about a few years and with easy right foot driving would get low 30’s. I guess the barge like handling makes the driver look further ahead eh?! 😉

The Outback from what I gather does give 45+ mpg and cheaper VED, not quite the £30 tho!

Murray

If you like the Merc it might be worth trying M&S rated tyres (unless you’re really bottoming out in the mud).

pjm84
    Free Member

I drive with a light right foot as well to the frustation of my Wife (I have a motorbike for the other moments)

I did manage 40mpg (dash readout 48.7mpg) out of my XC on a weekend MTB run to the Alps and back.

My new V70 1.6d is achieving 50mpg – 55mpg (dash readout) @ 60 to 65mph on a run so I just can’t see 45mpg from an Outback.

slackalice
    Free Member

Ahhh, Murray, good thought as I’m loving the merc but when stationary it does just sink down to the floor pan. Not many inches of freeboard so to speak. The wood chip and mill waste roadway that runs for about a mile over the marsh ruts badly too and I fear for the exhaust even rolling along at walking pace!

I’ve considered an ML, but not at mid-twenties mpg…

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not specifically an all-road but we have a A6 2.7 SE TDI Quattro Auto – had it since new now nearly 6 years old 100k miles basically trouble free. Grips fabulously in snow/ice (we live on a very steep non-adopted road + in Alps in winter) even with standard tyres – in fact it’s better in those conditions than Shogun we had. Great motorway muncher at autobahn speeds – mid 40’s on a trip. Cars looks as new, great build quality.

Downsides is it needs parking sensors front and rear (we have rear only) as it’s a long car and hard to see the corners – its not the largest load carrier with low height (two bikes easily go inside laid down rear wheels on) and main dealer had very poor service (no we are with independents and much happier)

I got it for quite a good price as the 3.0TDI was coming out which is a better engine but 2.7 has been great. I think you’ll get better mileage with a bigger engine, I wouldn’t go smaller than the 2.7 TDI.

When we got the car a legacy / forrestor was on the short list but I found the interior too plasticy.

slackalice
    Free Member

I share your scepticism pjm! The V70 is a big car, how does the 1.6 feel with the car loaded?

If there is anyone here with knowledge of the reality of owning a Scooby Outback, I’d love to hear from you!

Davesport

Mrs Davesport’s using a 2012 diesel XC 70 as a runabout/shopping trolley. It’s delivering mid 30’s as an average figure although I’ve managed to get the fuel computer down to 0.8 mpg if I really try hard. The AWD system is a lot more capable than I though it was going to be. It’s a confidence inspiring drive in the snow & it copes with muddy fields reasonably well. The only fly in the ointment on that front are the tyres which are obviously more road biased. If not pressed too hard it’s pretty civilised & comfortable on the road. If you like progressive driving then it starts to lose its composure during rapid changes of direction & it definitely is’nt as “pointy” as the V70 estate.

We’re on our 4th Volvo estate & this one’s definitely my favourite. I’d buy another tomorrow.

D.

pjm84
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with it. It can be a little flat low down but for a 1.6 diesel it an impressive engine.

I just come back from a week up North and averaged 47mpg for the 1050miles. 49 / 50mpg on the motorway hops which includes half width top box and full size 29er on the roof @ 65mph.

If you drop down to 60mph then you’re up in the high 50s for the consumption.

Now don’t be fooled I’m a typical Volvo plodder. If I take my motorbike into work then I ride it like I stole it. Horses for courses

slackalice
    Free Member

The audi is a strong contender, especially the Allroad with increased ride height and the load capacity /volume is nearly as big as the Volvo too, so thanks for your input Jambalaya,I’ll go check the 2.7 & 3.0’s on Parkers. The only slight downside is that it’s an A**i and turning up at a car park to go for a ride… thankfully I dont have a 5! 😉

Good to hear your views too Davesport, mid 40’s you say? I’m aware that any of these in ‘off-road-ish’ form will be somewhat wallowy and less precise to drive than a ‘normal’ road version – potentially that might only leave the Legacy estate as a viable, although I do need roof rails and not all Legacy’s were fitted with them AFAIK.

Has anyone had experience with the Subaru Boxer diesel? I have heard it has a penchant for oil?

Thanks

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Experiences please with Volvo XC70 diesel, Subaru Outback diesel, Allroad diesel’ is closed to new replies.