• This topic has 116 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)
  • Experience of the Weekender 09?
  • Ju
    Free Member

I crossed the line a couple of seconds after someone but it looks like i finished 20 seconds after the nearest person? Must be something about the staggered start I guess….

DFaffMaster

A brilliant event and I still can’t believe I won, I am now officially the ‘best’ Jack of all trades and Master of none.

It was also nice talking to a wide range and style of mountain bikers. Including the young lad with the downhill bike who told me he had done his practice downhill run in 1min 15seconds! It was only after the official results came out that I realised he must have been exagerating slightly.

Thanks to any riders who kindly moved aside as I gasped out that I was coming through. I was desperately trying to hold of Joe Bedingfield who kindly gave me a packet of fig rolls on the podium (shame I don’t like them).

A big thankyou to the organisers for putting on a great event (i’ve now found something I’m good at in mountain biking, it has only taken me 21 years) I’ll definitely be back next year.

By the way that pole/lap dance before the prize giving was just wrong but strangely addictive.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pahhhhhh…………………..

ditch the XC and bring bakc slalom racing!

I didnt go because theres no way my knees up tp XC raceing, even at a pooteling level.

Ben_Haworth

Ju – yep and/or they may have been on their 3rd lap and you were finishing your 4th? 🙂

spacehopper

managed to take a couple of snaps on the DH course and was just getting my eye in when the camera packed up 🙁

Ju
    Free Member

Thanks Ben (I’m not the sharpest brick in the pack) – yes, it was rider # 11, Mr STEINMETZ. He was finishing his 3rd lap and I my 4th so i don’t feel so bad now! I just didn’t have any lungs left and he was able to hold me off taking him, grrrr…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Mark, that’ll have been the young lad who blitzed the DH in 3+ minutes during his ‘actual’ race run whilst holding up a VERY annoyed looking guy on a Cannondale Gemini. I’d be seething…

Chase
    Free Member

who told me he had done his practice downhill run in 1min 15seconds!

After watching the taster vids prior to the event, I think that would’ve been possible as it implied the DH finished where the the jump line and singletrack line meet up again. As it was it finished just before the track crossing before the woody singletrack adding quite a bit more on.

Ben_Haworth

I don’t think the final bit after the jumps took more than 1min 45secs to do, so the lad’s seeding time was slightly optimistic! 😉

DFaffMaster

It wasn’t the young lad who held up the Cannondale Gemini rider.
    The Cannondale rider by the way amazingly stopped and let the young lad carry on riding ahead before restarting himself. I’m glad it never happened to me because I don’t know what I would have done. Having said that I got bullied by a young 15 year old at our clubs track champs a few years ago he was ramming me up against the barriers despite the size difference.

bicycle_repair_man
    Free Member

A great event with a nice chilled vibe. Big thank’s to the singletrack crew for a fantastic weekend.

Hi to ed80 and daveyboywonder, nice to meet you guys, we will have to hook up for a ride in the not too distant.

Fond regards from luton 😉

Phil
    White Commencal 5.5, number 33

PS – Hi Rob 🙂

AntM
    Free Member

Hope the scars are healing Ant.

cheers brant, I’m holding up, had a massage afer the XC and that a freed the hip up a bit. hope i’m fit for 10 at kirroughtree on saturday 😕

gpilling
    Free Member

For me, the atmosphere and friendliness of everyone involved was fantastic — didn’t feel overly competitive at all. Seemed to capture the spirit of riding, to have fun with likeminded folks, regardless of bike or ability.

I loved the commentary and inspirational words from Matt on the 1st Trials section (“C’mon you BAR END FREAK!”).

A quick hello to the Valiant Cycles chaps who were camped next to us!

In conclusion: ouch, my frickin knees.

Looking forward to next year! 8)

Ju
    Free Member

Thanks Brant, your cry that someone was going to take me on the last run through the site really got me off my ass!

robyzf1
    Free Member

Phil Hi, Fancy seeing you here. How’s Luton? bet you loved the heart warming site of the Tower blocks by the Toddington services – Icons of a beautiful town!

Loved Dave’s reference to Luton in his post!

Also, looks like there was only one place between us on the downhill (in our class) – Gutted

The less said about the cross country the better. I wasn’t sure if it was my gearing, tyre choice, seat height or the 7 cans of Becks the night before that led to my poor performance but in the end I put down to a complete and utter lack of fitness! 4 weekends riding a year isn’t enough for a cross country racer…

Retirement beckons (again)

Ed-O
    Free Member

After double pinch flatting on his race run and therefore getting a DNF. My boy Nial had another run on the DH (just to see) and he got a 1.48.

He just wanted you all to know 🙂

Drac

Never seen a fire as big as the one on Saturday night! It’s the best type of entertainment when camping. Thanks

I knew my idol childhood days would pay off eventually.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’m still having flashbacks to Nial nosediving that jump on Saturday afternoon! Photos are nearly there… come on my old PC, you can do it. You can upload 50mb of photos to flickr surely!

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

would like to see some pics of the DH, have looked on flickr but nowt on…..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Right then, here we go.

Theres a stack of photos here (didn’t take any Sunday as I was riding!).

A few to tickle your fancy:

Rob/Phil – again, weekend was a pleasure and let me know if/when you fancy a weekend around Calderdale and I’ll sort something.

Drac

Ooh look it’s me being crap on the DH.

spacehopper

DaveyBoyWonder – Member

I’m still having flashbacks to Nial nosediving that jump on Saturday afternoon!

I soooo thought he was over the bars on that one! well saved!

cant wait to have a play on that jump myself next sunday! possibly with painful consequences!

brant
    Free Member

I soooo thought he was over the bars on that one! well saved!

teh skillz.

calderdale dads live our lives through him

go nial!

fizzer
    Free Member

Bloody brilliant as it meant the trails of SW Lakeland were deserted all weekend.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Nice t-shirt Drac (currently sat here in mine!)

I’m sure the ones on flickr are big enough but if anyone wants full size 1600×1200 pics of any of the ones I took, let me know.

Drac

Nice t-shirt Drac (currently sat here in mine!)

Mine are way too pongy to wear, cracking design by Sim very subtle.

D0NK

flashbacks to Nial nosediving that jump

Pic DSC_4003 Nial looking a little nose heavy – he doesn’t look at all worried 🙂

philjunior
    Free Member

Where was the “Nial nosedive” jump? Bottom or trials section 1?

Ed-O
    Free Member

He looked like he was going to stack it didn’t he? Made me jump. Nearly out of my skin! Go Nial.

Yes the jump is at the bottom of what was the trials hill climb.

Rampage
    Free Member

I think I’ve got a picture of him about to land from that jump.
    I havn’t got a flicr account or anything, so I’ll upload it to the Lee Quarry page on facebook.

I tried timing myself on the DH on monday and could only get 2m 10s 🙁 but it was wet!

Drac

Finally done my photos.

STW Weekender-7

TC
    Free Member

Nice photos Drac, makes me think I should have stuck around to make an even bigger fire.
    I did get held up by a lad on my DH run (on a black Cannondale), but looking at some of the photo's there are some of him coming a cropper on the rock ginnel/garden bit which explains how he ended up that slow.

If he or any of his friends are on here "Sorry for shouting at you to get out of the way". I got another timed go and I was never going for the win, so no harm done.

Ju
    Free Member

That's me and Sam on the ridgeline. And you also got me, my wife and Sam at the top of the hill. Stalker! Great photo's though- thanks

Ben_Haworth
    Simon

Some good photos there Drac. Why didn't you do the XC race?

Drac

Cheers Simon.

Family BBQ got in the way so had to be back.

Viewing 37 posts - 81 through 117 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Experience of the Weekender 09?’ is closed to new replies.