• This topic has 116 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Experience of the Weekender 09?
  • chipps

Full results are here: Mikrotime

Cheers to everyone who turned up and had fun. We’re all tired, burned but chuffed. Thanks again to Tony and all the Lancashire Rangers who helped out.

Ju
    Free Member

Never seen a fire as big as the one on Saturday night! It’s the best type of entertainment when camping. Thanks

Simon

Top weekend. Thanks to everyone that made it possible.
    Looking forward to the next one!

lowey

Oh, and thanks Chipps for letting my Daughter have a go on the Orange Blood. Thats going to cost me a bloody fortune now. 😉

Daveb575
    Free Member

Have to echo the comments made about the format and the atmosphere of the event. Camp fire was great idea despite nearly becoming part of it at one point. Brant and Dave A on the mic were particularly good value as well.

Also thought the XC course was spot on, if a little like hard work – must try and pack a bit more fitness next time. Will definitely be back next year.

I was on the turquoise old style Yeti 575 (No. 29) by the way.

D0NK

Fantastic weekend, superb format, I hope there’s more of these next year. Good venue, DH and trials were tricky but not too hard, xc was more technical than I imagine most xc races to be (dunno tho) Food was good and properly priced. The tunes and Brants commentating/heckling were great. Really good atmosphere, looking forward to next years.

Gutted I tore my tyre and couldn’t finish the xc.

Sam

Had an absolutely fantastic time. Great event concept and execution. Many thanks to all the ST crew and everyone else who help make it such a memorable weekend.

spacehopper

popped over on saturday and got sunburnt spectating…!

looked like a fun event to compete in! especially the whoops of encouragment people where getting on the first trials section!

might even try it myself next year

philjunior
    Free Member

Really good event. Even my non-biking girlfriend enjoyed it!

Really hope to be back next year.

And respect to the “about 1500 mile” traveller from southern Germany!

fivespot
    Free Member

My first event, and 1st Class it was. Great oranisation in a super chilled way. Big thanks to all the organisers, helpers & marshals etc. I’ll be back next year, cheers Singletrack.

brant
    Free Member

And respect to the “about 1500 mile” traveller from southern Germany!

It’s funny what stuff goes in and stays in.

You said that, I went “Number 11, Florian, Magura”.

Last night my wife was talking about Kelvin from Cotic. I was like “yeah, er, 35?”

Big congrats to number 170, I mean Mark McPhillips, and interestingly the fastest rider XC rider was Singular Steve (number 187).

Thanks to everyone for attending, and thanks for nobody taking too much offense at anything that might have slipped out. Special thanks to STW-Matt for ace tunes. The Michael Jackson remix thing is killa.

AntM
    Free Member

top event! I’ll be back next year. I thought all 3 events had the right amount of length, technical level etc. My first trip to Lee Quarry. All v friendly. good commentary/insults from Brant/Dave. Very laid back and great to chat to loads of folk. roll next year!

brant
    Free Member

Hope the scars are healing Ant.

http://twitpic.com/98ycw

D0NK

Singular steve was insanely quick, on one lap I was infront of him on the last descent, I took the jump line and he came flying passed on the flat narrow line (and I wasn’t hanging about)

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yay, well done Kirsty!!!!

Sorry we couldn’t do it, please do another so we can come!

Ed-O
    Free Member

More photos here (apologies if they have been already posted)

http://www.clearshot-photos.com/bike%20gallerys/Single%20track%20weekender09/default.htm

cp

I had an awesome weekend – though I was dissapointed my legs were still sore as from a fell race mid week last week 🙁 pedalling the dh hurt like hell!

Loved the mix of events, and such a friendly relaxed atmosphere out in the Lancashire sunshine. DH course was doable for most, though you needed to be brave to get a fast time, trials were again a good balance, and the xc course was great fun!

Brant and Dave A on the commentary were superb value.

Big thanks to everyone involved in organising and running it – the council guys were fab!

Looking forward to all the photos getting online 🙂

Daveb575
    Free Member

This has also made me realise that there is a benefit to turning 40. I can say that I was sixth and it makes me sound much better than I really am. 😉

Mark

Someone video’d the police rider going over the bars it is rumoured.. We’d be ‘very grateful’ if we could get a copy that 🙂

wors

was the xc course the full red?

Mark

Red but with a bit of variation

Elspaniel
    Free Member

There’s a few more piccies here:
    Lee Quarry Day 2

the00
    Free Member

Great event – possibly best ever? The XC course made the whole thing for me, depsite the hangover.

Nice to see some peeps managed to get photos of me on my bike too. One in the air on the XC, and one shouting with excitement on the DH.

chipps

The XC course was most of the red, with a few extra bits, but it missed out the first bit of the downhill (the ginnel) in favour of heading through the campsite, rejoining by the cattle grid by the horsey arena for the final singletrack descent down to the bottom gate (and then the haul back up) – I’ve never seen so many relieved faces at crossing a finish line 🙂

Ju
    Free Member

the00 said Great event – possibly best ever?

Definately the most interesting and fun. I can’t believe more people didn’t sign up for it and would hate to see it balloon into a 1000 rider event.

D0NK

would hate to see it balloon into a 1000 rider event.

I was talking to Ben, he said they could only get 300ish in the quarry so that’s not likely to happen but with everyone (so far) loving it it may be tricky to come by a ticket next time.

Fingers crossed all the organisers are up for doing another next year, classic weekender series anyone?

cp

good choice to route it through the arena/camp area – although the top of the dh course was fun, it was good to allow spectators/supporters to easily be in the centre of the action.

the place makes for a good xc route as spectator access is so good to multiple places on the lap

cp

classic weekender series would be awesome!

Ju
    Free Member

Does nobody like my idea of a night stage on the Saturday night? It was so much fun goosing about in the evening. I was thinking if the people with the biggest penalties from the Saturday went out first say 23:30. then everyone would get through by 01:30 but it would handicap the leaders more by having less sleep…. Also Friday night is a better drinking night anyway.

Ben_Haworth

matthew_h –

Posn Bib Name DH Result
    19 152 Matthew HUNT 1:45.57
    20 119 L A DEVEREUX 1:45.85
    21 139 C HARROP 1:45.86
    22 23 Garry TOPPER 1:45.87

Ben_Haworth

Ju – your idea involves less boozing time, therefore it’s wrong 😉

Dave
    Free Member

Third Ta to everyone for turning up, and to Ben for organising it.
    Heckling has never been s much fun ;o)

matthew_h
    Free Member

Spotted that earlier on Ben, cheers though. Seems I was the quickest of the 1:45s which is cool. How close between the other 3 though? Sheesh!

Just need to lose about 2 stone and get a whole load fitter for next year’s event now. Might not run the full DH tyres again either although they certainly helped prevent pinch punctures.

Fantastic weekend and a big thank you to all who were involved in the running and organising. Great stuff.

cp

I was one of those other 3 Chris Harrop – couldn’t believe how close I’d just managed to avoid a penalty by! Didn’t realise others were so close!

matthew_h
    Free Member

Nice one Chris.

I was rather happy that my mate Dave flatted on the rock garden. He got a chance to have a run later on in his very own “special” category and beat the top time by just over 3 seconds which would have pushed you and me down into the next (not clean) group. Phew.

snowslave

This looked brilliant!

the00
    Free Member

I’ve been getting loads of pinch punctures recently, so gave tubeless a go on the rear for the first time at this event. Burped air out on my 1st dh practice, so tried more pressure and it ran sweet from then on – despite smacking the rim a couple of times.

craigf
    Free Member

bit late to the party (no work time STW access!)…

more thanks from me and Kirsty, just a lovely, smashing, fun weekend. great format- come xc race day you ‘know’ the people you are riding against, you know? great banter on the trials and DH, both practice and doing it ‘for real’, talking lines and encouraging each other… lovely heckling from a slightly tipsy matt on the first trials section, and yes, giving the microphone to brant and dave turned out to be as inspired as it was dangerous! 🙂

proper hard xc race course, kind of as it should be, but agree, there were a few relieved and decidedly wobbly people come the end of lap 4!

so yeah, massive thanks to all the STW crew for working so hard on this, and to all the Council guys, the rangers, the marshalls and the Police CSO’s falling off their bikes and looking after ours! and thanks to the riders and spectators for making it such a nice atmosphere… more please 8)

marty
    Free Member

great fun. well done and thanks to those that made it happen.

clubber
    Free Member

Sounds like a great time was had by all 🙂

I’ll love to do a race/event with this format but going that far oop north ain’t gonna happen. How about one in Wales eg Afan? would be perfect I reckon.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Experience of the Weekender 09?’ is closed to new replies.