Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)
  • Ex9 cracked frame! Advice!
  • Mister-P
    Free Member

!!11!11!!!!1!!!!!!!!11!!!!

walleater

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Anyway, there are plenty of bikes out there with higher breakage figures than 0.5%, and they don't get recalled.

snakebite
    Free Member

i reckon Kal had to finish school before he could get down to the bike shop….

Kal
    Free Member

Why does that make you jealous snakebite that a school kids got a ex9? Lol

Another update…..2 weeks for the part to come in, so back to me hardtail for a couple of weeks!

Jamie
    Free Member

Why does that make you jealous snakebite that a school kids got a ex9? Lol

Probably more of a reference to your use of language. lol etc.

snakebite
    Free Member

my lad who's 12 has a Remedy, like me, he also has a nice BMX and a fancy Trek hardtail, i'll show you a pic of my wifes fancy EX9 as well if you want…. 😮

willsimmons
    Free Member

Guys, i would like to add an additional comment. I do work for Trek, i am their warranty man
    I have quoted Phil corleys a very favourable price for a replacement part. As the original poster has been honest and let people know he is not the original owner, Trek has no contract with him to supply a free of charge part. Obviously Phil Corleys will also charge a nominal profit related mark up for the part and possibly labour to install- after all they made no profit from the second hand purchase and they are a business who wants to make money!
    The failure rate on the specific area concerned was tiny (less than 0.5%) so yes, we have seen some fail. These failures were resolved with free of charge replacements to original owners. The second hand owners are taken care of with very cheap replacement parts. Trek and Trek dealers final aim is to support Trek owners with good, if not great, service. If parts fail and the failure is covered by the warranty terms and conditions supplied by the shop, then free of charge parts are supplied. If parts need replacing that are not covered by the warranty terms and conditions, we will offer favourable prices wherever possible.
    Thanks for all the comments, may i suggest the original poster discusses his options with Corleys and report back when his EX9 is up and running again?

Trek Col

I smell BS, or a case of "lies, damn lies and statistics". I would wager that more than 0.5% of the Fuel EXs with that specific weld (i.e. only the early ones) have failed, or will fail – does that statistic include all 2008 Fuel EXs or only those with the affected weld? To cap it off when I got the new swingarm back it's resonant frequency seemed to match up with my brakes and honked like a demented duck when braking, changing brakes/rotors didn't seem to solve the problem either. Got rid in the end.

hora
    Free Member

Brake less?

phildowling
    Free Member

Your lad who's 12 has a remedy…..Jesus I had a Raleigh activator then!

Kal
    Free Member

TrekCol will I have a warranty on the new stay should it fail again?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Some people don't know when to quit while they're ahead! 🙄

ratherbeintobago

TrekCol will I have a warranty on the new stay should it fail again?

I suspect that it will be covered by the Sale of Goods act as it's been sold directly to you.

Andy

cynic-al
    Free Member

I was saving up for a 5-speed racer.

Kal
    Free Member

So now I can't ask a genuine consumer question? Perhaps if you had your frame fail and all the inconvenience that's goes with it you'd be asking the same question………

Thankyou Andy for a sensible reply.

njee20
    Free Member

I suspect he'd have gone into a shop to try and sort it, it's sure as hell not getting sorted by bleating on about it on t'internet!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

So now I can't ask a genuine consumer question? Perhaps if you had your frame fail and all the inconvenience that's goes with it you'd be asking the same question………

I did and guess who sorted it? Trekcol and how did we sort it? By email and going to the shop.

theflatboy
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – Member

I think Trek are being very good considering the way you've gone about it.

got to agree with that – after all nonsense spouted on here the outcome suggests that Col went out of his way to sort it, despite the correctly noted almost complete lack of consumer protection available to a 2nd hand buyer. reckon trek's warranty rep is enhanced again.

i have had one experience with trek's aftersales, a few years back. i had a trek that i used to race xc on sundays and go dirt jumping on the rest of the time, prior to there being dedicated gnarl bikes and parts available. unsurprisingly, i eventually cracked the frame right through the down tube/headtube interface. a couple of weeks later, one brand new frame free of charge, no questions asked (probably for the best!). 🙂

Kal
    Free Member

i have had one experience with trek's aftersales, a few years back. i had a trek that i used to race xc on sundays and dirt jumping on the rest of the time, prior to there being dedicated gnarl bikes and parts available. unsurprisingly, i eventually cracked the frame right through the down tube/headtube interface. a couple of weeks later, one brand new frame free of charge, no questions asked (probably for the best!).

Right lets get this straight. It's ok for you to use a xc bike as a jump bike brake the frame in half due to misuse and managed to get a new frame by not being totally honest? Yet I have only questioned treks company policy for charging 2nd owners to replace a part of the frame that broke through no fault my own due to a flaw! And yet I get slated…. think that sums up some of the opinions and attitude of people that have posted on this subject!

One final thankyou to trekcol for sorting me out, very happy with only having to pay £80 and not £1000 to replace the frame! Much appreciated .

bigyinn
    Free Member

Kal, yes I have had a couple of frames go on me. My spesh enduro was replaced after 2 years. My marin developed a headtube crack after 10years commuting duty (it was a reduced price replacement for a frame that died after a crash) and was again supplied at a reduced price. I had to pay a small pricefor the replacement frame. I didn't expect to get anything for free, unlike you!
    And yes the flatboy was dishonest, but he's not shouting and bawling about his rights.

chubby_monk
    Free Member

Nice result – personally I would have ordered some gaffer tape off the internet so that I didn't have to support my lbs for doing some work.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

What's the forum equivalent of Chinese Whispers?

DT78
    Free Member

Well, after reading this train crash thread I can say trek came off very well imo. +1 potential customer for the future.

I wish the OP would stop posting now, you are coming across very badly (to me anyway), just go out and ride your bike, you are very lucky it was fixed cheap alot of other manufacturers would have just told you to f off.

Jamie
    Free Member

…yeah if it had been a Pace you could have probably been the 1st owner and not had such a good outcome.

br
    Free Member

My 11 year old has a Norco FS and a Dr Jekyll HT. But when I was his age, I had a 5 speed Falcon – and it probably cost my parents more (in real terms).

jimw
    Free Member

I also think that Trek have been very reasonable in this case, not that it surprises me as all my dealings with Trek and Colin in particular have been exemplary.

geordiepaul
    Free Member

Kal, Are you getting a matching white seat stay?
    When my second white frame cracked all stock of white ones had runout so it was replaced with a silver one (09). Was kind of gutted cos white bikes are the best!

stooo
    Free Member

Sounds like a good result. Nice one Kal,

As another trek EX9 owner (2008 frame, bought second hand)… I' was keen to see what happened. It's been a bit of a pain having to skim passed lots of winging muppets on here, but over all, if I was in your shoes, I'd be pretty pleased with the £80 cost for the fix.

Well done to TrekCol – think you handled the situation well and kept away from the nonesense. This has in no way put me off buying another trek – hopefully a new EX9.9 carbon when I get the £s together.

ampthill

I've read this with interest, having bought a used Fuel EX6.5. I think Trek come out of this OK.

I bought my bike, riden once, for £500 less than the original owner paid. (I paid £800 the origibal owner paid £1300)

Bargain? I'm not sure. I new that I wasn't getting a warranty or dealer suppport and it was last years model

So I think I got it for about market rate.

Kal how much did you pay below retail for your bike?

mrmo
    Free Member

snapped my Lemond Tourmalet 2? years ago, it was 7 years old at the time i think. There was no equivalent steel bike available in the uk and only one steel bike left in the Lemond range. So Trek gave me the choice of colour scheme, i think it was 5 options, on a Platinum OX frame and shipped it from the states. It took about 2 months all told. Which wasn't bad considering. Also got a new fork thrown in, new bike is 1 1/8" old bike 1".

End of the day there are reasons to deal with the big companies, they can afford to be more generous with warranties. When things go wrong you learn alot more about a company then when things are ok.

Kal
    Free Member

Kal, Are you getting a matching white seat stay?
    When my second white frame cracked all stock of white ones had runout so it was replaced with a silver one (09). Was kind of gutted cos white bikes are the best!

I'm assuming they will swap the stay like for like…

Kal
    Free Member

Kal how much did you pay below retail for your bike?

£500 so in hindsight even with replacing the stay I'm still better of to the tune £420!

special77
    Free Member

A lot of references to transferable car warranties on here. Just like to point out they bear no relation to just about any product at all as European law makes it compulsory on cars for manufacturers to provide a transferable warranty. Also, seeing as used cars are a big, and even more profitbale, part of the car industry it's in their interests too whereas used bikes have no margin in the bike industry.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Kal – Member

i have had one experience with trek's aftersales, a few years back. i had a trek that i used to race xc on sundays and dirt jumping on the rest of the time, prior to there being dedicated gnarl bikes and parts available. unsurprisingly, i eventually cracked the frame right through the down tube/headtube interface. a couple of weeks later, one brand new frame free of charge, no questions asked (probably for the best!).

Right lets get this straight. It's ok for you to use a xc bike as a jump bike brake the frame in half due to misuse and managed to get a new frame by not being totally honest?

on the evidence, i suppose so. as a skint 17 year old i was pretty pleased with that outcome. and it's "break", by the way.

Viewing 33 posts - 121 through 153 (of 153 total)

The topic ‘Ex9 cracked frame! Advice!’ is closed to new replies.