Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,247 total)
  • Euro 2016 begins!
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We get France. 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

1 owed!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

We get France.

Is that revenge I smell in the air?

And I followed the Mrs Binners philosophy and bet on an Ireland win

Likewise. It was my lowest paying out bet, but happy to get a little bit back and ROI to go through.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bloody hell, one side of that last 16 looks heavily weighted.

PrinceJohn

We really are in the harder side of the draw….

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Switzerland v Poland

Croatia v Portugal

Wales v Northern Ireland

Hungary v Belgium

Germany v Slovakia

Italy v Spain

France v Republic of Ireland

England v Iceland (On pens)

*goes down the bookies*

seosamh77
    Free Member

just concentrate on france! 😆

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Revenge…??

No, course not…

EDIT: Image posting fail.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Do the people who interview footballers at the end of matches go on a special course to drill all the good questions out of them?

shooterman

Very emotional here too Deadlydarcy. Was at the Germany game in October in Aviva but this one was even more emotional.

If we get revenge for the hand of Henri I don’t care what happens after that!

PrinceJohn

Looking at that draw I fancy Croatia to make the final. Maybe win it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Right, so with all that finished…

The whole 3rd place qualifiers thing has worked out to be quite good hasn’t it (and not just because we scraped in). There hasn’t really been a meaningless match in the last round has there? Both for the teams playing and the other qualifiers watching. Listening to Portugal v Hungary and Austria v Iceland earlier on the radio, the permutations were multitude. Even tonight’s game had a bearing on who Norn Irn and Wales would play.

seosamh77
    Free Member

nah no a fan tbh.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Why not?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Yes good idea. Has been better for the fans keeping the interest alive and also the smaller countries in terms of revenue for their association. The IFA will get around £2m for getting to the 2nd round, some of this will be spent on grassroots development and the rest on the stand we broke at Windsor

nickjb
    Free Member

It’s made the group stage about jockeying for position rather than out and out wins which I suppose has made some matches more competitive but it’s also made quite a few teams play for a draw. The biggest issue for me, even after all that jockeying we’ve ended up with a very lopsided knock out stage and some odd match ups. It’s an interesting change but I think it needs work.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s certainly been more exciting than watching 1st and 2nd in a group play out a draw while 3rd and 4th play a game wishing they were already home.

Genuine q: was there a final round game played where a team could not qualify? I realise there were a few played like say, Ireland completely outplaying 😀 the already-qualified-as-winners Italy.

But overall, it’s been good I reckon. The expanded 24 team competition also made the original qualifying groups more interesting too IMO.

seosamh77
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    Why not?

just think it’s a crazy amount of games to get rid of 8 teams, plus 3rd(out of 4) going through doesn’t really sit right, it’s rewarding mediocrity. (and least of all)it’s been devised largely to generate revenue.

isto
    Free Member

Thats **** amazin Ireland……so chuffed. How no one got sent off in that game I will never know. Great to see the team spirit and the crowd at the end.

PrinceJohn

Just wondering, what’s going on with the kits at the Euros?

Why were rep Ireland in white last night green doesn’t exactly clash with blue? There’s been a lot of teams wearing away kits when they’ve not needed to.

nickjb
    Free Member

often shorts or socks that clash. Seems daft to me

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rainbow rules.

If teams’ colours are next to one another in the rainbow sequence, the designated “away” team must change strip.

dahedd
    Free Member

Never been a football fan but seems this tournaments thrown up some great surprises for the litte teams.

England vs Iceland is a tough call. Pure bred Scot married to an Essex girl. Don’t like footie so unlike many from up here I normally doubt care if England win or lose. BUT we got married in Iceland, I love the place, it’s immense, amazing, incredible.

Sorry but England you nust have to lose !!! I reckon my Mrs will be cheering them on as well.

Come on Iceland, massive upset in the making. Iceland to win Euro 2016

Rockape63
    Free Member

Sorry but England you nust have to lose !!! I reckon my Mrs will be cheering them on as well.

Come on Iceland, massive upset in the making. Iceland to win Euro 2016

#SHOCK NEWS!# Jock supporting ABE! 😯

gonzy
    Free Member

we should be wary of Iceland in the next round…they’ve had some pretty big names turn out for them in the past…

Colleen Nolan
    Stacy Solomon
    Jason Donovan
    Peter Andre
    Kerry Katona
    😆 😆 😆 😆 😆

senorj

very good gonzy.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I honestly think Iceland will turn England over.

…but then we all know what my predictions are like.

*shakes fist at Colombia for not scoring last night*

nickjb
    Free Member

Topping the group turned out to be a much bigger prize for Wales than expected. Should be at least aiming for a semi final and a decent chance to get in the final (where I suppose anything could happen). Anyone predict that when they qualified last October?

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes it really is a draw of two halves and Wales have won that one by some

Iceland should not beat them but England are not doing well against teams that park the bus

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Topping the group turned out to be a much bigger prize for Wales than expected.

Indeed, as conversely, it didn’t for Italy. (I’m still trying to work out what would have happened if we hadn’t blown our lead against Sweden…second I think…finishing above Italy on result of last night??) The format has thrown up a fascinating last 16 – a very good chance for a “smaller” side to reach the final, with the “right-hand” side of the draw containing most of the traditional powers – Italy, Germany, Spain, France…and, erm, England. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

My sister’s organised a weekend camping party this weekend. TV reception will probably be negligible, however the site has Wifi…

dragon
    Free Member

For all the excitement of the English commentators about drawing Iceland, they seem to have failed to notice that in the group stages the two teams have an almost identical record; Won 1 Drawn 2, GD +1, and achieved from a roughly comparable set of fixtures.

Iceland played Austria, Portugal and Hungary
    England played Russia, Wales and Slovakia

If any fan is feeling down, then think yourself lucky you aren’t Swedish, not one goal scored by a player from Sweden in 3 games! That’s despite Zlatan’s mighty talent ego.

dahedd
    Free Member

You obviously didn’t read my post Rockape. I’m.married to an English lass & despite my general dislike of footie I’d be quite happy for England to win. Except that they’re playing Iceland. The country we got married in & fell in love with.

So no. Not Anymore but England, far from it. But in this case Iceland all the way.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Zlatan who? 😀

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

It’s been an odd tournament for strikers. I noticed Lewandowski and Müller haven’t scored either.

seosamh77
    Free Member

so what’s your predictions?

I’m going for:

switzerland, wales, croatia, france, germany, belgium, spain, england. no sure about the swiss or belgians.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Poland
    Wales
    Portugal
    France
    Germany
    Belgium
    Spain
    England

seosamh77
    Free Member

I’ll add in france, germany or spain as out right winners, most likely germany, but canny rule french home advantage, so it’ll be spain! 😆

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

For all gamblers, don’t forget most bets will be for 90mins now. So if you want an outright victory make sure you put the bet on to qualify, or words to that effect. Obviously less odds, but then games won in extra time/pens will still be included.

MSP

I don’t know if anyone has linked this before, but I have been enjoying this Icelandic twitter feed this week.

https://twitter.com/rvkgrapevine?lang=en-gb

Perhaps #ENG will reconsider this Brexit idea when they realise they #ISL longships are coming and call for allies.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,247 total)

The topic ‘Euro 2016 begins!’ is closed to new replies.