Viewing 40 posts - 28,721 through 28,760 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

@mille its quite clear there is no way to cancel it, the EU designed A50 that way to intimidate members

igm

Remain voting areas of 55% or more saw a 7% swing to Labour. Areas voting 60% leave or more saw a 1% swing to the Tories.

Brexit was definitely part of it. Leavers aren’t flocking to Mrs DisMay (thank you The Sun) but remainers trust her as far as they can throw her.

igm

jambalaya – Member

@mille
    its quite clear there is no way to cancel it, the EU designed A50 that way to intimidate members

I and more importantly many legal minds and much of the EU administration disagree.

kimbers

I think that we are serving as a brilliant example to the rest of the EU of the kind of chaos that happens to a country that decides to leave.

AndreyE
    Free Member

I wonder how the ‘blame game’ is going to unravel now.

‘We voted Brexit, now go and make it work for us’.. 🙂

I honestly think it’s hilarious. Dangerous and annoying in many ways, but hilarious 🙂

milleboy
    Free Member

mille its quite clear there is no way to cancel it, the EU designed A50 that way to intimidate members

Even though it was written by us (the EUs most Eurosceptic member), and the bloke who wrote it says it can be?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/article-50-brexit-stopped-court-ruling-lord-kerr-high-court-theresa-may-a7394816.html

thecaptain
    Free Member

Of course it can be cancelled. What it probably can’t be is delayed, unless the EU is determined to bend over backwards to “help us out”. Nothing stopping us cancelling now, then starting the whole process up again at some time in the future – except by that time our credibility would be shot to pieces (even more so than it is already).

I must say I’m quite enjoying the prospect of the tories (more specifically May and Davies) being the face of britain’s total humiliation over this. They started it, they own it.

bigrich

Oh the great irony of the EU saying they are “ready” – they coud have started talks on issues like UK/EU citizens 11 months ago. Idiots

errrrrrrr

have you forgotten the attitude of Prime minister Hubris and her mates Dacre and Murdoch?

always someone elses fault, these right-w(h)ingers. Why dont you go and smash the economy and shred social fabric for a laugh?

piemonster

Absolutely A50 can be stopped. Which I suspect is the real reason for all the Hard Brexit is more likely posts. A fear based diversion tactic.

I don’t think it will be stopped, but it can be.

piemonster

I think that we are serving as a brilliant example to the rest of the EU of the kind of chaos that happens to a country that decides to leave.

Honestly I think it’s perfectly possible to leave the EU in an orderly fashion without excessive disruption. That would however require the proponents of leaving to put forward a plan for Brexit before the vote to leave took place instead of just voting leave with no clear concept of what it looks like.

milleboy
    Free Member

Honestly I think it’s perfectly possible to leave the EU in an orderly fashion without excessive disruption.

To a point, but the huge economic and social effects are very disruptive, so it will never be smooth.
    That been said, I doubt a nation could make such a bad job as we’ve managed.

codybrennan
    Free Member

piemonster – Member – Block User – Quote
    Absolutely A50 can be stopped. Which I suspect is the real reason for all the Hard Brexit is more likely posts. A fear based diversion tactic.

This is just it. Classic spinning from the man, absolute bull$h1t.

Whatever happens now, at least the worst-case scenario cannot be a hard brexit. Whatever happens will need to be a negotiated, traded stance- and thats if we even exit at all!!

Face the facts, guys, your hard brexit dream died on its ar$e yesterday and won’t be coming back. Its gone, just get over it.

I am absolutely loving this! Its just a shame that Cranberry hasn’t come back.

cchris2lou

And they all are putting pressure on the UK to get on with it knowing that May and Co are not ready and struggling at home.

It is hilarious how the UK government Managed to get this so wrong.

codybrennan
    Free Member

TBH, the best thing that May et al could do right now, if they really wanted to save Brexit and truly believed in it, is to find a way to back out of A50, and promise another future referendum when the time is right.

If we’re talking mandates, then yesterday was a mandate for some kind of remain stance, and they should be honest and accept this.

But they won’t. Its a one-shot deal and they know it, hence why they insisted, backed with their tabloid pals, that we’d all agreed to a full hard brexit. There was never going to be a come back.

As piemonster and others keep reminding our resident full-on Brexiteers, they were the cheerleaders for this, ploughing on with an ‘everything’s just gonna be fine’ approach, despite the warning signs. Even the warning signs were taken as positives, which I suppose if you work in finance and can play both sides of the game, they could be.

But its a shit deal for most of us, wouldn’t benefit the poor sods who it was mostly sold to by the red-tops, and I’m happy- delirious, in fact- that its now going to be dragged into the spotlight and picked over. And that the DUP alliance, if it persists, will kill the hard borders factor.

Face it- as said, this is a mandate for Something Else. It probably sounded the death-knell for the current Conservative govt too, not just May, who’ll be lucky to be here in August.

Loving every damn second of this. Its too, too delicious not to savour.

oldracer
    Free Member

Right, now we have a completely screwed up parliament, looking really strong and stable! WTF happens now!

There’ll have to listen & talk to each other & bear in mind the result.

For once, we might actually get something half decent & not railroaded by one parties cr@p ideas!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Interesting to note that the DM website is running a ‘Diana’ story this morning on the front page 🙂

The only mention of what happened yesterday is the Cons v SNP angle. Otherwise- absent.

They truly have no shame.

mickmcd
    Free Member

I’ve said fhis before we should be more like the French , they would be staging a revolution right now to show their dissatisfaction….last time petrol prices caused more of a stink than the govt shafting the people

milleboy
    Free Member

I’ve said fhis before we should be more like the French , they would be staging a revolution right now to show their dissatisfaction….last time petrol prices caused more of a stink than the govt shafting the people

What’s stopping you? 🙂

kimbers

.last time petrol prices caused more of a stink than the govt shafting the people

Ha ! 5p a litre thanks to Brexit , this time it’s the people’s fault (well the 52%)

mickmcd
    Free Member

What’s stopping you?

Too busy , between the school run and loose women I don’t think I’d have time

igm

Ruth asking Teri to have a think about her Brexit strategy.

Interesting.

kimbers

BBC news saying Whitehall civil servants being told to rip up hard Brexit- out of single market/customs union plans and go soft

aracer
    Free Member

On Newsnight, a former energy minister:

and Merkel’s current chief of staff talking about attitudes changing across Europe where younger people were becoming more interested in politics:

he also suggested that revocation of A50 was a decision for the UK government and very definitively didn’t rule it out.

piemonster

I think it’s fairly clear to anyone but the most ideologically blinded (or just pedalling the movement line) that A50 can be stopped.

Whether it should is a trickier question for me, we did vote for it! Based on lies and whattaboutery admittedly but it was still voted for.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kimbers – Member
    BBC news saying Whitehall civil servants being told to rip up hard Brexit- out of single market/customs union plans and go soft

and after that monumental 45s job what next 😉

kimbers

Dont be disingenuous mike, David Davids said he had 100 pages (of A4!) on the Brexit plan. But no one could see it coz …. Secrecy
    Everyone believed him.

Good article here, coulda gone in the May thread but sums it all up

Britain: The End of a Fantasy

igm

Interesting article excepting that in the Guardian’s Manchester politics professor’s initial analysis it was as much the graduates in their leafy suburban homes that voted Corbyn as the marginalised.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Ha ! 5p a litre thanks to Brexit , this time it’s the people’s fault (well the 52%)

Happy to help 😉

mickmcd
    Free Member

Wonder which MP has the balls to say stuff article 50 we are going to rerun the referendum or completely ignore the vote….that person will either be seen in history as a villain or hero

milleboy
    Free Member

Wonder which MP has the balls to say stuff article 50 we are going to rerun the referendum or completely ignore the vote….

Ruth Davidson?

aracer
    Free Member

Good call, except she’s not an MP!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kimbers petrol is cheaper in UK than France at the moment, higher taxes at least partly to blame.

As I said I think Brexit cinversations just got much more difficult as their are now multiple voices on both sides not just the EU 27.

Any Brexit Bill could (would?) be put to a Parliament vote which would likely mean it is defeated.

The chances of another GE before April 2019 are very high

I think WTO only Brexit just got much more likely.

igm

Likewise no Brexit.

milleboy
    Free Member

Good call, except she’s not an MP!

Doh…..well spotted

thecaptain
    Free Member

Face it, brexit’s dead, it was dead the day we voted for it, there never was a plausible way forward in that direction. It will stagger on in a zombie-like state for a while because no-one has the guts to state the obvious, but it’s not actually going to make any progress, because there is no possible progress.

Brexit is the Kobayashi Maru of modern politics and we’re now waiting to see if anyone can play Captain Kirk.

codybrennan
    Free Member

jambalaya

As I said I think Brexit cinversations just got much more difficult as their are now multiple voices on both sides not just the EU 27.

Good.

Any Brexit Bill could (would?) be put to a Parliament vote which would likely mean it is defeated.

Excellent.

More than likely.

Reaching hopefully there I would say. I think what you’re saying is that, now there’s chaos, negotiations are more likely to fail, with the WTO default option becoming more likely? Not necessarily. If the mood music from Germany is to any indication, Europe would be amenable to a delay while we sort out who the getaway driver will be for the next time.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Kimbers petrol is cheaper in UK than France at the moment, higher taxes at least partly to blame.

One day you will make a statement that is factually true
    That day is not today

• Gasoline
    Leaded petrol
    Minimum excise duty in EU is 421 EUR per 1000 liter. In United Kingdom is the rate 861.40 EUR per 1000 liter.
    Unleaded petrol
    Minimum excise duty in EU is 359 EUR per 1000 liter. In United Kingdom is the rate 722.02 EUR per 1000 liter (aviation gasoline 430.63 EUR per 1000 liter).

Leaded petrol
    Minimum excise duty in EU is 421 EUR per 1000 liter. In France is the rate 639.60 EUR per 1000 liter.
    Unleaded petrol
    Minimum excise duty in EU is 359 EUR per 1000 liter. In France is the rate 606.90 EUR per 1000 liter.

milleboy
    Free Member

Unlikely……..more likely they pull A50 and call the whole thing off.

jet26
    Free Member

John McD on TV this morning said labour also back brexit and would opt for leaving customs union

Is it thus not likely to go ahead if both major parties backing it?

Viewing 40 posts - 28,721 through 28,760 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.