Viewing 40 posts - 68,561 through 68,600 (of 77,140 total)
  • EU Referendum – are you in or out?
  • Cougar

Opinion piece on the NHS, but one I can readily see playing out. (NSFW warning, a swear after the cut.)

When the NHS is sacrificed in the desperate pursuit of a trade deal – ANY trade deal – with America, it won't happen all…

Posted by David Trott on Tuesday, June 4, 2019

igm

Mefty – quoting ability aside, of course what we have is an EU free trade agreement, or FTA+++ to borrow the traitorous quitsters’ language.
    And it’s not either or now, as you well know – but it may be in the future, one never can tell.
    Anyway don’t take my posts too seriously, I’m mainly laughing at Brexies now.

mefty
    Free Member

Anyway don’t take my posts too seriously

I don’t – never have

Northwind

Edukator

Which is where Farrage comes in. As deranged as Trump, similar ideals

https://www.theweek.co.uk/101082/nigel-farage-criticised-for-anti-semitic-tropes-on-us-talkshow

and he scored over 34% IIRC which which is a pretty impressive score for a far right politician anywhere

Largely by making his party all about one thing, brexit, and avoiding having official policies on anything else What proportion of that 34% believe he’s far right, or would continue to vote for his party if they were open about beliefs and policies?

Of course, that also means they’re in a position now to act in any way they want…

fadda

When was it, that they were going to reveal their manifesto…?

igm

mefty

Anyway don’t take my posts too seriously

I don’t – never have

Good to hear kid. Likewise obviously. 😎

binners

She’s a lovely woman Esther McVay, isn’t she?

Unfortunately, that’s the kind of unhinged rhetoric that will go down a storm with the Tory membership

nick1962
    Free Member

So much ignorance in one paragraph!

Ha ! 🙂 at least I know that being in the EU Custom’s union means no free movement of people unlike some on here.
    As for TTIP thats what the EU have been negotiating with the US for years isn’t it? The most controversial,secret trade deal ever etc etc.If the EU sign up to it then how do we get out of it if our Tory government doesn’t oppose it? If the Tory government want to sign up to some similar deal post Brexit with the US or any other country then vote them out and pull out of the deals. John McDonnell is on record as saying he is opposed to the TTIP.Not quite as easy if you’re still an EU member.
    And as for chlorinated chicken research in the EU shows levels of chlorine are above recommended safe levels on EU veg/salad.
    I wallow in my ignorance and my vote is just as good as yours or anybody else’s.

And seperately BTW kelvin no worries 🙂

igm

Thought the Tory lot were one of the main protagonists in favour of TTIP and the rest of the EU had decided it wasn’t as good as they’d hoped / good enough to sign up to.

There’s probably a multitude of views on who was for/against it.

binners

Christ on a Bendybus! Check out the understanding of the Northern Irish border from the guy who’s going to do us a great trade deal 😳

nick1962
    Free Member

Thought the Tory lot were one of the main protagonists in favour of TTIP

Sounds about right but I think it was Trump of all people who pulled out of TTIP though it may well be back on now.Let’s feed the serfs imported poison so they can sell their financial services or whatever.

igm

Yep. Trump finally pulled the plug (then kind of inserted it again)

The French and the Germans were getting concerned that it could erode national sovereignty (though the British weren’t).

The proposal would I think have needed the individual consent of every EU member state so if the UK didn’t like it we would have had plenty of time to kill it. But we did like it. Apparently.

slowoldman

Trump talks in soundbites. He isn’t interested in detail.

Poopscoop

My God, Trump lacks even basic understanding of the politics of the countries he visits.

I get the impression he just can’t be asked to read even a basic summary his advisers could come up with. Preferring to wing it as “who cares” basically?

What incredibly sad times we live in that many in this country actually think he’s a great guy/ President.

binners

We’re leaving the E.U. and Trump and the good ol’ US of A are going to somehow be our salvation, are they?

**** me! How deluded are some people? They’re going to bend us over and go in dry

molgrips
    Free Member

Wasn’t it TTIP that was not going through because EU states said they wouldn’t ratify it?

If the EU sign up to it

Don’t think the EU can sign up to anything on its own, it has to be signed up to by all it’s members. The democratically elected governments. Do you really think the EU is that autocratic? If it were I’d have voted leave FFS.

binners

Unelected Eurocrats Molls, remember. The ones we all voted for the other week

As a celebration of stupidity and denying what’s taking place in front of you, you’d be hard pushed to beat it, but the Brexiteers keep lapping it up

I know it’s apparently patronising and condescending to refer to them as complete ****ing morons, but… you know….

igm

I’m starting to think Trump may have some form of dementia or Alzheimer’s. And I don’t mean that as a nasty statement, just as a concern.

Now I’m not a doctor, and I’m only seeing news items and tweets, but it reminds me of intelligent people I know and have known as their faculties fade with certain illnesses.

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing familiar behaviours?

And yes I know this is probably the wrong thread.

vazaha

TTIP was dead before Trump assumed his throne.

Because the people of the 28 Member States of the EU were wary of the ramifications – not least those posed by the opening up of individual National Health provisions to the vagaries of US style ‘competition’- and protested widely about them. Thus the Parliaments of the 28 Member States were wary of the wariness of the people of the 28 Member States, because that’s how Democracy works in the EU.

It’s not all about ‘un-elected beaurocrats’, it’s also often about un-elected blowhards saying ‘**** THAT!’ loudly enough that their local Parliaments hear them.

vazaha

“I’m starting to think Trump may have some form of dementia or Alzheimer’s. And I don’t mean that as a nasty statement, just as a concern.”

It is inconceivable that he wasn’t given some sort of instruction that, if he hears the letters ‘N… H… S…’, just be at least circumspect, check yourself, don’t wreck yourself.

He couldn’t check himself for even the length of a dinner.

And so we get our implausible deniability.

Luckily for ‘the Donald’, for some inexplicable reason he can always say ‘i didn’t actually say that’ and even if he demonstrably did, he gets away with it.

Implausible deniability – sort of like inverted fake news.

kelvin

I wallow in my ignorance

Well, judging by that post, I’m now assuming it’s actually all pretend ignorance put on for trolling purposes… well done for getting us to bite.

mooman
    Free Member

raybanwomble

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48533790

I have not visited here for awhile; but curiosity got the better of me – seeing the potentially terrible news for thousands of families that will be affected if the Bridgend plant does close down …I kinda knew there would be some plain nasty comment or gloating on this thread; and yep … I wasnt wrong.

Pure nasty.

kelvin

Yup, some have given up on repeatingly saying “we all lost” when being told to accept Brexit, and now resort to the occasional insensitive “told you so” post.

The pattern is normally for someone to now come along and point out that because said closure is linked to troubles other than Brexit, that it would have happened anyway. And then we wait for the next series of job losses, and repeat the process again, ’till we’re all Uber drivers and manufacturing in the UK is heavily depleated (as Minford predicted).

tjagain

Subscriber
    I’m starting to think Trump may have some form of dementia or Alzheimer’s. And I don’t mean that as a nasty statement, just as a concern.

Now I’m not a doctor, and I’m only seeing news items and tweets, but it reminds me of intelligent people I know and have known as their faculties fade with certain illnesses.

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing familiar behaviours?

And yes I know this is probably the wrong thread.

He is a psychopath – ie he has a personality disorder probably narcissistic personality disorder. He exhibits all the textbook symptoms so we he is really a textbook case

Have an exaggerated sense of self-importance
    Have a sense of entitlement and require constant, excessive admiration
    Expect to be recognized as superior even without achievements that warrant it
    Exaggerate achievements and talents
    Be preoccupied with fantasies about success, power, brilliance, beauty or the perfect mate
    Believe they are superior and can only associate with equally special people
    Monopolize conversations and belittle or look down on people they perceive as inferior
    Expect special favors and unquestioning compliance with their expectations
    Take advantage of others to get what they want
    Have an inability or unwillingness to recognize the needs and feelings of others
    Be envious of others and believe others envy them
    Behave in an arrogant or haughty manner, coming across as conceited, boastful and pretentious
    Insist on having the best of everything — for instance, the best car or office
    At the same time, people with narcissistic personality disorder have trouble handling anything they perceive as criticism, and they can:

Become impatient or angry when they don’t receive special treatment
    Have significant interpersonal problems and easily feel slighted
    React with rage or contempt and try to belittle the other person to make themselves appear superior
    Have difficulty regulating emotions and behavior
    Experience major problems dealing with stress and adapting to change
    Feel depressed and moody because they fall short of perfection
    Have secret feelings of insecurity, shame, vulnerability and humiliation

kerley
    Free Member

he has a personality disorder probably narcissistic personality disorder.

As do a lot of senior leaders, CIOs etc,. It is what has driven them to get where they are.

dazh

and now resort to the occasional insensitive “told you so” post.

Nice attempt at defending the indefensible. The thing is the more brexiteers see this sort of crowing, especially the working class ones, the more they’ll feel inclined to vote for Farage. You’ll get the very thing you don’t want.

kelvin

I keep repeating that the idea that Brexit is a working class cause is nonsense… it’s the boondoggle of the rich and comfortable that will be paid for on the back of workers. Agree that the “you voted for this” type posts are both counter productive and flawed. There aren’t many though, thankfully. You can see how they are born of frustration though… 3 years into this mess.

Del

They’re already voting for farage. There’s no putting farage back in the bottle and the longer Labour tries to maintain a policy that is between two stools the more supporters it will lose. Time to shit or get off the pot.

dazh

You can see how they are born of frustration though

I can see how they are borne of deep seated snobbery, selfishness, and unjustified feelings of superiority over those who weren’t as lucky.

They’re already voting for farage.

Not all of them. It’s often been said on here that we need to fight the far right rather than appease them. This fight will not be won by the chattering classes in fashionable suburbs of the big cities. It will be won on the streets of places like Sunderland and Wigan. If we abandon the working class to Farage all we do is give up on any hope of defeating him. I’m afraid there just aren’t enough hipsters or keyboard warriors to win this culture war.

kelvin

Ahh… keyboard warriors.
    AKA everyone apart from you? Right?

MSP

FFS dazh, are you really blind your your hypocrisy? Your constant name calling and sneering at those who disagree with you, you have appointed yourself as the working class champion, without any understanding of the backgrounds of those of us you constantly snipe and sneer at.

You have gone full trump in accusing everyone else of the crimes that you commit.

dazh

AKA everyone apart from you? Right?

I’m not the one whining about how unfair it is that the oiks voted for something I don’t want and trying to reverse/ignore it. I’ve said before, if you want to stop brexit, you have to change the minds of the people who voted for it. You’re not going to do that on here or with FBPE hashtags on twitter.

Your constant name calling and sneering

And where have I done that? It’s true that I’ve disagreed, and I’ve had plenty of the above for swimming against the tide. Just trying to inject a bit of reality from outside the bubble 🙂

kelvin

Mum was a cleaner, dad was a farm hand and then a solider and then a lorry driver, but yeah, carry on @dazh. Brexit is an expensive damaging game played out by privately educated politicians looking to change the country to suit them and their mates. The British workers will pay, not those with their money spread across the world. Most people now see it for what it is, which is why the people won’t get asked to vote for/against it again.

dazh

Mum was a cleaner

To be clear my comment was aimed more at rayban than yourself, although I have no idea why you’d want to defend his gloating about working class people losing their jobs and having their communities destroyed.

Brexit is an expensive damaging game played out by privately educated politicians looking to change the country to suit them and their mates.

Totally agree. But it was also an opportunity for the powerless to make their voices heard, which they did. The only question now is whether the politicians listen, or continue ignoring them. If they do the latter, much worse things than brexit will happen as a result.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Nice attempt at defending the indefensible. The thing is the more brexiteers see this sort of crowing, especially the working class ones, the more they’ll feel inclined to vote for Farage. You’ll get the very thing you don’t want

This is the same class, that when asked whether they cared about others losing their jobs over brexit – did not care because they perceived those jobs to be middle class. We were told to get over it and we would find other jobs.

Pressing the brexiteers on any job losses even remotely related to brexit is the only way to get through to them, so that reality slowly seeps through the cracks in the bullshit walls they have built for themselves.

Brexit Job Loss Index: 436,296 Jobs Lost As Of 31 January 2020

The offensive person isn’t me, it’s the people who voted for brexit knowing full well it would cause job losses and who couldn’t give a flying **** who it impacted.

kelvin

although I have no idea why you’d want to defend his gloating

I didn’t defend it… or agree with it… just trying to encourage others to understand it… 3 years down the line, and a significant minority still think that the damage of Brexit is “project fear”, and/or that “you lost” is a good enough reason to carry on regardless of the cost to the workers of Britain… some will understandably jump on the “told you so” approach out of frustration. I’m surprised there isn’t more of it to be honest. But I consider it counterproductive as well.

MSP

And where have I done that?

ok, so the answer is yes, you are blind to your hypocrisy. Maybe try reading some of you own posts as another reader, instead of from your own self anointed sainted seat.

El-bent
    Free Member

It will be won on the streets of places like Sunderland and Wigan. If we abandon the working class to Farage all we do is give up on any hope of defeating him.

They can vote for him all they like. The high water mark has already happened for Farage and his ilk, even before the European elections. Voting for him will change very little.

Viewing 40 posts - 68,561 through 68,600 (of 77,140 total)

The topic ‘EU Referendum – are you in or out?’ is closed to new replies.