• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by kilo.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Etrex 20 bar mount.
  • tish
    Free Member

Can any Etrex users recommend a bar mount?
    I’ve browsed around and most look flimsy or the mount is too small for handlebars.
    Or how do you mount yours?

Cheers.

PJay
    Free Member

I use one of these for with my Etrex 3. They use zip ties so should fit most bars but I do find that they have the propensity to slip around the bars when things get a bit bumpy.

nuke

I use same as pjay for my etrex 20…works fine although i tend to mount it to my top tube (although a bit of cut up inner tube between the bar and the mount/zipties did prevent movement when i did bar mount it. I also used reusable zipties so i could take the mount on and off easily)

km79
    Free Member

Make sure you secure the GPS to the above mount with a lanyard tied to the bars or something as they can separate when things get bumpy. Lost an etrex this way before.

devash
    Free Member

The official Garmin mount works fine for me. If you need to use a lanyard with it then you aren’t attaching the device properly. You need to give it a good hard shove to ensure it engages properly and locks into place.

kilo

I use the garmin mount and I’ve added the lanyard as the device can fall out even if properly inserted.

andyg1966

Cheap ebay ‘garmin’ mounts are rubbish. Genuine Garmin mounts c£15 don’t drop the GPS. Still use a lanyard though for peace of mind!

ymmv

km79
    Free Member

I use the official Garmin mount and it can and has come loose. Just because it works fine for some doesn’t mean it’s user error for others.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

Another here using the official garmin mount, with the same issue that it likes to go upside down when it gets bumpy…. ill try the inner tube round the mounting surface to see if that helps.

Lanyards.. I don’t use one, but I should, I’ve had it part company with the bike before in crashes

jb72
    Free Member

Same as PJay. Genuine Garmin mount seems solid.

tish
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll give the genuine one a go. Lanyard is a good shout, didn’t think of that, I’m all for belt and braces approach.

andyl
    Free Member

Garmin for me too.

Although I do sometimes use the carabiner clip (garmin one) onto my camelbak straps occasionally but it’s irritating as it holds the garmin the correct way up which is the wrong way when you want to flip it up without unclipping it like a nurses watch.

mcnultycop

I use the same one as P-Jay but it does move around the bars on really bumpy stuff. It’s solid though.

devash
    Free Member

I do sometimes use the carabiner clip (garmin one) onto my camelbak straps occasionally but it’s irritating as it holds the garmin the correct way up which is the wrong way when you want to flip it up without unclipping it like a nurses watch.

I have the same mount and I get annoyed with its orientation too.

zigzag69
    Free Member

The genuine Garmin mounts get loose over time – I’m using a lanyard and a rubber band now

timba
    Free Member

My original Etrex packed up and was loose in the Garmin mount

I bought a factory-refurb Etrex and used the original mount. The new Etrex is secure in the old mount and so it seems to be the backplate that wears (I always thought that it was the mount)

I still use the lanyard though

chowsh
    Free Member

tish – drop me an email with your address, I have 2 of those in a drawer, I’ll post you one.

qwerty
    Free Member

You can add a few layers of insulating tape to the ETrex to help it click in more securely to the mount. Also less shaking which can cause GPS judder. Apparently.

somafunk
    Junkyard
    Free Member

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/garmin-etrex-10-20-30-20x-30x-holder-p-1667-c-281.html

this and it fits some spare batteries underneath and the screen is below it so no issues when flipped on to the bars

It is never ever coming out of that

Adapted an ebay Go pro mount to fit to bars that was about £2

tish
    Free Member

Cheers chowsh I’ll pop one over

jerrys
    Free Member

I’d go with Junkyards suggestion of a RAM mount.

I use one with my old Etrex and a similar one on my motorbike gps. Bombproof.

scotroutes

My Dakota got very loose after a while. I bought an Oregon and it works just fine. The Oregon has a much harder mount on the battery cover than the Dakota had, so I reckon you are correct.

reformedfatty
    Free Member

My etrex escaped the garmin mount on the verderers descent at FoD last thursday, went back but couldn’t find it 🙁

Despite the rubbish mount I’ve ended up ordering another one – albeit this time I’ve added OS mapping rather than OSM, and TOPO maps of europe.. any experiences of those?

Also in my learning from experience I’ve added a lanyard and screen protector for the new one!

kilo

I now also use a loose cable tie which can be slipped over the bottom of the unit to further secure it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Etrex 20 bar mount.’ is closed to new replies.