Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • E*thirteen TRS+ dropper – rotational play?
  • beer247
    Free Member

Has anyone else got the E*thirteen dropper?

I spec’d one on my new bike build – was quite surprised to see quite a bit of rotational play straight out of the box. You can also move the saddle clamp independently to the post if you really give it some welly!

I’ve tried tightening the 10mm bolt that holds the head onto the post, but no difference (head isn’t bonded like most droppers).

I know most droppers have some play from new, this just seems quite a bit more than say a Reverb or Fox transfer.

Just wondered if anyone had encountered the same?

eb2429
    Free Member

I have one and it doesn’t have any play in that direction at all, but our does have vertical play 2-3mm, I am surprised it can twist at all tbh as i imagine its locked in mechanically. although i could say that about the 2-3mm height drop too..

robz400
    Free Member

I have one and had the same issue. If you undo the 10mm bolt that you mentioned it eventually removes the saddle clamp part.

Once this is off you’ll see a slot cut into the seat tube. The one on mine was cracked and therefore too big. E13 sent me a new intermal post part and I replaced it

puffballs
    Free Member

Mine has similar rotational play, thanks robz400, I’ll be checking mine for the same thing.

Other than that, the post has been good so far.

Teedertodder

Yes mine has lots of play, vertically and rotationally. Really noisy metallic clack/clack too from new (now 3rides old).
    Hive Europe seem to think it’s ok, but it’s winding me up something chronic. They sent me a new spring and seal for some reason, can’t see how it’ll help though.
    Seems a strip down is in order, only species one of these to have less maintenance, oh the irony!

Howie

Kamakazie

Oh dear, this thread is encouraging for my purchase.
    Was going to replace a sagging Reverb with one of these. Maybe I’ll get the Revive instead but that’s even more expensive :¬(

Del

crap. just ordered one of these.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Im witnessing a similar experience, where the seat post clamp head rotates on the dropper sanction.
    its not a lot, and its not loose to rattle around, but does “clunk” side to side (not audibly) if you take my meaning.

When I removed the seat, and undid the 10mm bolt, in the seat post head is a brass key, that is significantly smaller than the recess it sits in, this is allowing the seat head to move, so Ive emailed e13 about it, lets see what comes of it….

eb2429
    Free Member

crap. just ordered one of these.

Oh dear, this thread is encouraging for my purchase.
    Was going to replace a sagging Reverb with one of these. Maybe I’ll get the Revive instead but that’s even more expensive :¬(

while i am not belittling the issues some have experienced I don’t think 5 people posting in a topic makes for a serious problem imo.

Teedertodder

It could be that mine is an early one, as Id hate to think that how mine is would be considered engineering excellence by e*thirteen.
    My post has got a lot worse and now after 6 rides total doesn’t want to come back up.
    The metal-on-metal sound just can’t be right, there’s quite a bit of slop too. E*thirteen have told me it is fine…but then they would say that and they’re not riding around on it…

Those of you that have one, do you know if stripping it invalidates any warranty? Dont recall having to strip or bleed my reverb within 6 rides!

Howie

Kamakazie

while i am not belittling the issues some have experienced I don’t think 5 people posting in a topic makes for a serious problem imo.

A few people on here, with a relatively new post would suggest it might be though and I’ve not seen similarly bad posts about some of the other new posts.

goby

Ah thats really dissapointing was saving to get one of these, now what! 🙁

legend
    Free Member

Dont recall having to strip or bleed my reverb within 6 rides!

To be fair, in the early days of Reverbs many didn’t even last that long!

Disappointing that the E-13 seems a bit crap though, was also going to be my go-to when the Reverb next needs sorting

goby

Anymore news on this as i was going to get one?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

e-13 told me it was fine, and normal….
    so, will use it as is until there is a problem with it…

goby

Ah ok cheers will see what deals I can find!

beer247
    Free Member

I mentioned the play to the bike shop that i bought it from and also sent a video. This was sent onto E13 and they said to tighten the 10mm allen bolt.

If that didn’t fix the problem, they would need the post back.

I did tighten the bolt, but there was still a small amount of play.

Another issue has also come to light – the post is now refusing to engage in the highest position. I push the lever, release and then go to sit down and the post drops to the next position. I then either have to actuate the lever several times to get it to lock in position or pull the seat up with one hand!

Its strange because when the bike is clean it seems ok, as soon as you get out on a ride and get it muddy it starts to stop working properly!

I also changed the cable (inner and outer) and still have the same problem.

Afer some googling, it seems as though the spring was not “man” enough on some of the early posts and E13 are sending out replacements.

There seems to be two different versions of the post – they revised the lever on the new version and also changed the wiper seal to an SKF one. I imagine they also incorporated the stronger spring.

in any case, mine is going back to the retailer!

sirromj

Anything more to report beer247?

I just ordered one today. A mechanical dropper that I can service myself appealed. And it does seem to review well except for a few minor issues in pre-production posts which E13 are supposed to have addressed.

Del

Mine appears fine. Same amount of rotational play as 2 Lev I have. Nice to use. Recommended.

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

For anyone thinking of buying one – I’ve been using mine for the last year in the Scottish Muck sans problems. This is a ‘problem thread’ rather than a representation of the average experience..

i only felt the need to post this as I burned through a list of other droppers, before trying the e thirteen – which for me is reliable. I wouldn’t won’t anyone to be discouraged from trying it!

gingerbllr
    Free Member

The rotational play is due to the slot in the post head being larger than the little brass coloured key that slots into it to hold the head in the correct orientation. this could be fixed by a larger key, but i’m just living with the issue, dont notice when i’m riding it.

For those struggling with the seat not coming back all the way up – get in touch with e13, get a new stronger spring sent out, it will come with a better seal too. Free of charge and quick UPS shipping.

No one seems to have a completely trouble free dropper on the market yet. But when the e13 breaks down, you can still adjust upwards by hand and its not the end of the world. Also its easy as **** to service – honestly, takes 10 mins to whip it apart and give it a clean.

I wouldn’t say im impressed with mine, but its issues are livable and its not going to become unusable half way round a 40k loop. Have previously owned reverd/elite/command post.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘E*thirteen TRS+ dropper – rotational play?’ is closed to new replies.