Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Etape Caledonia….anyone else riding it?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

The promoters sent some bumph through the post this morning, reminding me that I hadnt paid this years entry fee.

Is anyone else here riding it this year? Anyone fancy an STW spin around the course?

metalheart
    Free Member

Was planning on entering. Need to actually get out on my bike sometime soon too!

I was planning on a recce round the course. Spoke to some guy (Mike) down there who seems to organise that sort of thing. 😀

Ben_mw

Can’t decide. Did it last year and really enjoyed it, but i’ve been invited to a mates 30th the night before and don’t think that copious amounts of beer and precious little sleep are the ideal buld up. Still, it’s not that far I suppose.
    Is it?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The only hard bit is the climb up Schiehallion, but a lot depends on the weather. Course is exposed along the loch side.

fisha
    Free Member

i’ll need to wait and see as my shifts are chaing soon, so I dont know whether i’ll be working or not.

I’ve done it the previous 2 times, and enjoyed it. both years done in 4hrs 22mins … 1yr i trained for it. 2 nd year, never bothered my arse.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I do believe that druidh is doing it.

druidh
    Free Member

Indeed I am. No idea what I’ve let myself in for, but four months to find out – right?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, I’m doing it…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Maybe in a few weeks we could get together for a spin around the loop?

druidh
    Free Member

All of it? 😯

Stu_N

I’d probably be on for that. I’m not doing the event though – £54 is a lot of beans to ride on what are nearly empty roads anyway 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

At a mellow pace its a 5-6 hour ride. We could stop for scran en route. The closed roads do make a difference.

Stu_N

I rode the route in late April March last year solo with a scran stop at Fortingal, was ace, highly recommended.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i’d be up for a STW ride there. I’m thinking of doing it, but not sure i will have recovered from the fred whitton the weekend before…

AndyP
    Free Member

aye, I’ll be there. Nice early-season bimble

mcmoonter
    Free Member

We’ll try an get something together in March ish?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

march sounds good. post on here nearer the time to arrange something?

druidh
    Free Member

March????

I’d better get some training in then….

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

i need to get training asap for the Fred, but my stupid cold is meaning no riding or gym or anything 🙁

druidh, fancy a road ride at some point soon, just out the a70 way? i’m still full of the cold, so towards the end of Jan or beginning of feb might be good? would be nice to ride with you, rather than you tell me you keep seeing me and i never see you!!

fisha
    Free Member

be sure to post up details of whether you’re doing a bimble round the etape caledonia route. If i’m free, i’d be interested.

don.

druidh
    Free Member

dirtygirlonabike – Member
    would be nice to ride with you, rather than you tell me you keep seeing me and i never see you!!

I learnt all my best Bin Ninja skillz from RocketDog! 😉

Aye – we’ll get something organised for February. I’ve been knocked out by a similar virusy thing so am at ground zero at the moment.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m doing it and really looking forward to it. Also doing the Cairgorm classic 100 in June and a couple of other possibilities.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Cairngorm classic looked good, but I was freaked at the prospect on ending up the ski road after 100 miles. I’ve ridden most of the loop in sections, never put it all together yet. If the weather is bad it can be quite exposed up there.

metalheart
    Free Member

We’ll try an get something together in March ish?

sounds about right to me.

Dr_Bike
    Free Member

I’d be interested in spin round the Etape Caledonia route too, I’ll keep a look out for a posting.

TheLaw
    Free Member

I’ll be doin it – along with Andy the butcher, Trolley Boy, The Fat Winker and Juggs. Using the Bealach the week before as a warm up!

Kit
    Free Member

God I couldn’t imagine anything worse 🙁 If you’re going to be up there, get some proper riding (off road) in instead 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Ridden masses of off road stuff up there all winter, I feel like a bit of variety.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Just as well you’re not doing it then eh Kit. Some of us enjoy riding all kinds off bikes and not just off road. Each to their own.

Did the Bealach Mor last year The Law so you’re in for a good ride on the Beag – weather permitting.

2tyred

Planning to, once i stop choking at the entry fee.

I take it this is a full-on darkside event? Reason I ask is the ‘climb up Schiehallion’ bit!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

There is a road climb from Loch Rannoch up to car park which seves walkers climbing Schiehllion. You cant miss it on th route profile. The fee is a bit steep, but you do get Mavic support from Fench guys on motor bikes. ts as close as I’ll ever get to feling like a Tour rider

2tyred

ah right, thought it might actually mean the hill itself (a long, straight trudge of a walk but not impossible on a bike I’d imagine!)

I’d be up for a preview of it, certainly.

Kit
    Free Member

Just as well you’re not doing it then eh Kit. Some of us enjoy riding all kinds off bikes and not just off road. Each to their own.

Aye, well knock yourself out big man! No need to get your back up about it – just expressing my opinion that, in my experience, there’s better things to be doing. All the best though – I’m sure you’ll love it 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

in my experience, there’s better things to be doing I think you mean in your ‘opinion’ rather than ‘experience’.

Why did you even post on this thread, the title is pretty clear isn’t it.

Kit
    Free Member

in my experience, there’s better things to be doing I think you mean in your ‘opinion’ rather than ‘experience’.

Why did you even post on this thread, the title is pretty clear isn’t it.

🙁 Some folk take life way too seriously.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Just looked a the site, £54 sounds a little steep?

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s closed roads fauxbyfour, hence the cost.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Etape Caledonia….anyone else riding it?’ is closed to new replies.