• This topic has 20 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by FOG.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Ergon GA2 fat
  • davosaurusrex

Anyone running these? With the new ebike the amount of extra descending I’m getting in my dodgy wrists (and forearms) are taking a battering. Any comments on what they’re like for comfort – I have size 12 hands and prefer a fatter grip

slowbloke
    Free Member

I’m running them on my hardtail. They are quite short but decently padded and do damp vibrations. Personally I prefer the gd1 which aren’t as fat but are longer.

Hands like shovels here BTW

jayx2a
    Free Member

I have GA2 standard but trying the fat grips this weekend so can give feedback. Bonus (or not depending on needs) is they add 10mm width to the bars!

I don’t have big hands (9) but quite like bigger grips. My Half Nelsons were so uncomfortable.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Think I prefer the normal ones. The fat ones are quite fat!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Also just to add both versions on the GA2 now have replaceable end caps. The older GA2 were fixed. The inner core is now black (was white before)

They still do add 5mm each end to your bar length.

devash
    Free Member

They look interesting. I never got on with the regular GA2s as they felt too thin. I run GE1s now although I might be interested in trying these new fat grips out.

FOG

I have just bought some as I have big hands and am also starting to get arthritis , particularly in the left wrist.

Haven’t tried them yet but am at Peebles next week so they should get plenty of testing. In the past I have found even supposedly large grips still leave my fingers wrapped too far around the bar making long rides uncomfortable on the hands. I bought some Superstar grips that promised they were for big hands but were just wider and not fatter  which were no use for me at all.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Not tried them on the bike, they just felt quite fat in the hands! I might try them for a ride but think they might be too big.

Im usually in M/L gloves (8.5) so don’t think that’s classed as large hands?

How far should gingers wrap round anyway? Mine does reach all the way round on the standard ones.

Will run run both over the weekend and see what happens!

oikeith

Off topic, someone was telling me over the weekend that carbon bars are good for reducing trail feedback, better so than alloy bars. If true, maybe one to consider, I did take it with a pinch of salt as the guy was running carbon bars so may just have been justifying his purchase!

jayx2a
    Free Member

oikeith – I am back on my Renthal Carbon Lites (35) and I do refer them over my alloy bars.

Are you running 31.8 or 35?

Mowgli
    Free Member

I’ve found my carbon bars seem to damp out a lot of trail buzz compared to my old alloy ones. 35mm will be stiffer though, so go for 31.8mm if you want a bit more compliance.

FOG

Ok, so now I have done a few rides with them, I feel qualified to have an opinion. They are an improvement over the ODIs they replaced (can’t remember model) but really aren’t fat enough. My fingers still ached and only marginal improvement for the dodgy wrist. I realise that they may suit others without my particular problem but for me, the search goes on.

Shackleton

Chromag squarewave are the fattest grips I have found. Comfy too. I have shovels for hands so hopefully they may work for you too.

Gunz
    Free Member

Could someone explain the difference between the GA and GE grips.  I get pins and needles in my hands after a couple of hours and was hoping Ergon grips might help.

jayx2a
    Free Member

So did 12 miles on the FAT grips today. I did think they were too fat to start with but after I stopped thinking about them they just felt nice.

You can definitely feel the difference between the normal and the fat ones.

davosaurusrex

I bought some but didn’t get a chance to try them last Friday as was in a rush to get out. Highsided myself head first into a tree an hour later and broke my neck so will be another 6 weeks before I get to use them. On the plus side I can still walk. Swings and roundabouts, eh?

I was using The Squarewave XL up to now which have been great but on the ebike my hands were starting to blister. Also wanted to run controls a little further out to effectively widen my 780s a bit

Shackleton

Eeeek, shit, hope you heal up fast!

Rather than look at grips, which csn probably only ever have a minimal effect, can you make your forks more supple? I have some MRP stage forks and the ramp control (speed sensitive end stroke progression adjustment) is amazing. It allows me to have a very supple top, supportive mid stroke and very progressive end. Much better than volume tokens that affect spring progresion throughout the stroke. MRP make aftermarket cartridges for fox and rocksjox forks.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Hi FOG, are your grips for sale then? if so what colour are they and how much ? 😉

i made a huge difference to my hand/arm problems by raising my bar position, most folks seem to run their bars under the height of their seat and too far forward so putting more pressure on the hands, i found the sweep on Stooge moto bars a Massive improvement over straight flat bars, HTH 🙂

jayx2a
    Free Member

I found that the GA2 fat were much more comfortable than then Half Nelsons I have (blue in mint condition if anyone is interested!).

I need to do a run with the standard GA2 ones to judge properly which I will do over the weekend.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Been a while, but just to update.

Much prefer that Fat grips now. Been running them for a while and switched back to standard ones and didn’t like. They are going up for sale!

FOG

Apologies Lawmanmx , I hadn’t noticed your post. The grips are still on the bike and have been growing on me to the extent I am going to buy some for my HT. After a few months of use the size is becoming familiar. The one moan I have now is that on long rides my palms start to get sore, I assume the rubber compound is too hard.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Ergon GA2 fat’ is closed to new replies.