Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Equivalent of Premier Inn in Belgium?
  • Earl
    Free Member

Going to be road tripping around Belguim with the young family next week. Hotel recomendations please. Max of 80euro/night.

crikey
    Free Member

Try the youth hostels; not as grim and youth oriented as you might think, and often have family rooms, plus en-suite washing/pooing/weeing facilities.

I've stayed in the Gent one, De Draecke and it was excellent.

http://www.vjh.be/jeugdherbergen/gent/

wheelz
    Free Member

The equivalent of Formula 1 hotels in Belgium are the Etap hotels. Cheap and cheerful, but okay.

They also have quite a few Best Western hotels that are reasonably priced.

Whereabouts in Belgium are you going?

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks very much will look into it all. Will be heading to Maastricht, Gent.

Already been to Brussels Bruge Ypres. Anywhere else you can recomend to go?

MrSmith
    Free Member

holiday inn express. they do twin rooms with a sofabed thingy so a room can take 4 people. (has to be an express not ordinary holiday inn)

theotherjonv

There's a few Campaniles in BE too. Clean, a bit spartan but good value.

http://www.campanile.com/hotel/en/hotel-013197.htm

crikey
    Free Member

Go to Valkenburg near Maastricht, but if you go on any of the cave tours, remember it's bloody cold…

Gent is great, fab little city, Aalst has a wicked bike shop, VanEyck Sport.

Mackem

Antwerp, Dinant, Leuven, Namur all worth a visit too.

theotherjonv

Antwerp is great.

BTW, Maastricht didn't have much to recommend it. IMHO <-

crikey
    Free Member

Antwerp used to have a huge red light district with a chippie in the middle; they used to have coach tours of old ladies going there..

Mackem

Antwerp has a Greggs bakers too. (so does Leuven)

wheelz
    Free Member

Head down towards the German border at Aachen. At Eupen (on the A40) turn off and head down to Monschau, which is just over the border. Fantastic area for outdoor activities and very picturesque too.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Etap is ok, Formula 1 places are just crap IME.

grtdkad
    Free Member

+1 for Namur – big citadel in the centre and nice surrounding countryside (I used to do a fair bit of rallying and have experienced both at speed).

We used the F1s a few times and were always acceptable (for the price) as long as you were allocated a room at the desk by a real person (they'd give you one of the better ones), self/computer registration resulted in well used rooms that stank of fat blokes feet. . .

higthepig
    Free Member

For the children try this:Tri Lander Maze Try a trip to Bastogne, agree with Maastrict (as I live near there) well worth a visit, also Aachen, Valkenburg & Monschau. Just been to Liege, not impressed at all with it, would not go again. You will know when you cross the border into Belgium, they have the worst surfaced roads in Europe, even worse than the UK. Check the fuel prices as you drive around, differing tax rates on petrol/deisel between GER/NLD/BEL, place in BEL (Maasmechelen, half way between Gent and Maastricht)is 10 cents a litre cheaper than my local in NLD for tractor fuel.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

It's the communal self-clean bathroom/shower/toilet facilities that freaked me out a bit. That and the fact loads of people seem to wander around in their kecks, maybe we just kept walking in on a big love-in (accidentally on purpose, a few times…)?!

Nonsense
    Free Member

If you want a day out with the kids Parc Paradisio is really good. Live bird of prey display and a real live bat cave. Plu it's round the corner from my in-laws.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Equivalent of Premier Inn in Belgium?’ is closed to new replies.