Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Epiphany or Moment
  • giantjason
    Free Member

What are peoples thoughts on the Ellsworth Epiphany and Moment.

Is the Moment too much a bike for mainly riding trail centres and XC in the UK with a couple of trips to the Alps etc each year…..or is the Moment the complete all rounder for everything?

Does anyone have either the Moment or Epiphany to comment>

theflatboy
    Free Member

poindexter has a moment. i’ve got half a truth, it’s bloody awesome. 4″ front and rear is pretty good for xc, plush enough!

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I’ve had both, just sold my Epiphany after a year and a half and have had my moment now for coming up a year. Both great bikes, I sold the Epiphany as I just wasn’t riding it as the moment was always first choice.

They’re both different beasts. The Epiphany is a lightweight 5 inch bike so I would say so if you are on the heavy side or ride quite hard over rocky terrain then you might find it a bit skittish. The Moment on the other hand is light enough for all day epics at 31lbs and it will take a better man than me to get it out of it’s depth. I was coming down Garburn Pass on it yesterday and it just amazes me how composed it is on really mental rocky downhills. It’s a perfect bike for the Alps IMO.

Here’s a couple of pics, see if you can spot the difference (-:

Feel free to mail me if any questions and you can have a spin on the Moment if you’re in the Lakes.

Poindexter
    Free Member

Yep, the Flatboy speaks the truth. I have a coil-sprung Moment and I think Ridethelakes is spot on with his assessment.

I have a Blur Classic with 4.5 inch travel and I did “umm-ing and ah-ing” before I got the Moment as I was worried there would be a lot of cross over. There isn’t though – the Moment is my first choice for Lakeland epics, it’s light enough for all day rides but swallows descents like a DH bike. Soooo comfy too.

I’m also a BIG BIG fan of the Garburn Pass, and the Moment can climb it too… Well all but the very rocky section after the gate on Troutbeck side. :o(

The ICT doesn’t climb as well as the VPP though, no matter what Tony Ellsworth might claim. It does, however, reward good pedalling technique, but as soon as you start mashing, it justs soaks all the power out of each pedal stroke.

In Preston if you fancy slinging a leg over it.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

ridethelakes, which fox shock do you have on your Moment frame?

alexonabike

If you fancy a Moment, I have one for sale in the classifieds… sorry for the plug.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Banana – it’s an RP23. Tried the DHX Air and it was just a nightmare, it just blew through the travel really quick unless I put loads of air into it in which case there would be little sag meaning I felt perched on top of the bike. STW did a review a few issues ago and had the same problem.

Didn’t fancy a coil because of the extra weight. The RP23 works fantastically well and really transformed the bike.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I have a DHX air, I’ve had no problems other than as you say it seems to require high psi, but I am wondering whether to change it.

And to the OP, I ditto the above pretty much, great bike to ride on big days out in the Lakes. I think I’d feel overdressed tho for many rides, so I now also have an on-one summer for most general stuff and throwing around at Stainburn.

hicksville
    Free Member

I ahd the moment great bike, able climber and descender, no problems climbing in the pryennes coming down limited by the dhx shock as above. Out of the 2 you need the moment. Personally I think the Horst Link climbs better than the VPP system. However the moment does not climb as well as current bike Tius Supermoto (super grippy, stiffer and better descender)but was 4 lbs light at least, 35 lbs to 31.5lbs, nor as well as my Turner RFX the best bike I owned. The system, ICT, though claimed by Ellsworth is really Turners. The moment is a fantastic bike enjoy if you get one. Oh and I still think the Mk 2 version is one of the best looking bikes made.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Actually, I have your Moment Hicksville! How’s the injury, getting better?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I’ve had both. I’m 5’9 13 (ish) stone and I found the epiphaney a bit “light” for me. Found the Moment to be a much more solid ride without being to hard on the ups, well suited to trail centers an the like, had it for 2 years and still looks and goes great. About to sell my medium black frame (with coil) if your intrested (I didn’t say I liked it better to make a sale).

giantjason
    Free Member

johnikgriff – is it the mkI or mkII you have? Could you send some pics and info to jsrwalker AT googlemail.com what is the stroke length of the shock……do you know if i could fit on my rp23 from my Giant Reign 0?

hicksville – why do you say the Turner RFX was a better bike? i was looking at those but the revised dw link is not available until 2010.

On the Ellsworths can you run full length outers? Is there anything that goes wrong with them or have trouble with?

hicksville
    Free Member

Hi B.A, hope you are enjoying the bike, riding on road on the titus, pic somewhere, will be riding off road in May if I stay healthy, thanks for asking. GiantJason, I had rfx as a horst link for me it was a better climber on techinical stuff and indestructable on the way down unbelievably good, see the turner thread, Jon Edwards has hit the the reasons on the nail. The moment is great bike you will be more than happy if you get one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Epiphany or Moment’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM