Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Epidurals and Spinal Anesthetics…..what makes your toes curl?
  • Xylene
    Free Member

I’ve just been rereading the pain medication options for Mrs Q at the hospital and yet again I feel sick.

I don’t know what it is about the thought of people putting needles into spines, but it makes my toes curl, my hands go sweaty and I feel sick just thinking about them

Dad knows that he can make me uncomfortable talking about the time he got spinal samples taken when he was being diagnosed with MS and the doctor touched a nerved and his leg jumped about a foot in the air.

Got to stop typing now I’m cringing all over.

giant_scum
    Free Member

I’m with you on this one nearly passed out when my SO got hers giving birth to our first child!
    Strangely touching sponges or foam makes my toes curl.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With you on the spinal thing – a friend needed something like that doing as a kid years ago – a HUGE needle in the spine, between vertebrae. Apparently he wasn’t allowed an anaesthetic either as they had to be sure it wasn’t hitting anything going in and the only way of knowing was by keeping him unmedicated (ie he shouted ‘OWW!’ when it hit something it shouldn’t).
    😯

superdan

I just had an ACL rebuild on my knee, and was given an Epidural (its apparently better for getting you up and about faster). It felt a bit odd honestly, and when the guy with the needle in my spine grazed a nerve and my leg spasmed I felt pretty worried, but apparently its normal…

The only real downside for me was waking up from the anesthetic about 5pm, and not being able to take a piss until 3am, at which point I filled two of those cardboard bedpans to the brim, one after another 😀

wrightyson
    Free Member

Had a trigger point Injection three weeks ago, its done **** all back ache wise! The needle in wasn’t too bad but the wiggling around and feeling the fluid going in was nasty!! Worse bit however was how rough it made me feel later on!!!

cxi
    Free Member

I had an epidural before going in to theatre to fix my broken femur.

I was out for most of the op but was “awake” at the end and could hear the surgeon hammering the nail / rod into my leg. Very weird sensation hearing somebody doing something like that but not feeling it.

mossimus
    Free Member

I got the option of epidural or Morphine last year, anaethetist dug around for what seemed an age trying to do epidural, had to call time on him in the end and went for the morphine.

Pieface

The idea of the epidural going wrong certainly makes you think (can it go wrong?)

On a lesser note, shoving the prongs of a fork into my teeth makes me wince, or the serrations of a knife between teeth. Rarely do either of these occur though.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Touching and squeezing cotton wool makes me want to scream.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Epidurals and Spinal Anesthetics…..what makes your toes curl?’ is closed to new replies.