Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Entry level smart trainer for Zwift?
  • brungle
    Free Member

I’m trying to get back into riding after a few years off, mainly to lose some weight. I’ve setup a home gym in my garage (strength equipment at the moment) but wanting to give Zwift a go to get some cardio in. Any advice on which turbo trainer to go for? I’m after a smart trainer that will allow Zwift to control the resistance automatically

Direct drive is out of budget (£150ish), I think I’ve narrowed things down to a Tacx Flow/Vortext or Elite Smart B+ (seems to be a qubo/novo naming) I know I can get these used off ebay etc for my budget. I’m just over 16stone so maybe the Tacx is a bit sturdier. Also read a few things that elites are a bit inaccurate with regards to power readings?

As its an MTB bike I will be using for now I was thinking this tyre https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-tyres/continental-hometrainer-ii-26-x-1-75-bike-tyre

Any advice welcome, located in North Yorkshire if anyone is selling one. Cheers

jam-bo

refurbished tacx 2040 on ebay. about £140

richmtb

if you can find a s/h or refurbished Tacx Vortex in budget then they work well with Zwift and Traineroad

brungle
    Free Member

Is that the Tacx Flow T2240? If so I’ve got that in my watch list been thinking thats the best option as its got a 12month warranty.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

I’ve flogged my T2240 for 3 winters now. Would recommend.

richmtb

CRC have the Vortex reduced to £220 new.

Main difference between the Vortex and the 2240 is the Vortex can handle a bit more wattage and has an enclosed resistance unit so is a bit quieter. Both have the same flywheel so will feel pretty similar

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Also read a few things that elites are a bit inaccurate with regards to power readings?

All wheel on trainers are notoriously inaccurate. As long as it’s consistent then that’s all that really matters. Until ‘smart’ trainers came along fluid used to be considered best as it was quietest, but the resistance drops as it warms up, so now most trainers are magnetic.

Just read any review, if it under reads, well that’s just down to losses in the wheel and tyre. If it over reads, well then you’re just a riding god and should be picked up by a pro team any day now.

brungle
    Free Member

Thanks guys very useful, think I will go for the Flow and see how I get on.

tootallpaul

Brungle-

I have a spare flow (brand new unit, warranty replacement) I am looking to sell.

Drop me a line.

Cheers,

Paul

brungle
    Free Member

pm sent

bigdean

I got a elite novo from halfords.
    £180 plus british cycling discount made it quite cheep at the time.

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/turbo-trainers/trainers/elite-novo-smart-turbo-trainer

Am 16st and its stable enough, also comes with adjustable legs for different size wheels.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

How recently? I noticed the T&C’s exclude it from sale or in-store promtion items. Which is basically everything. Quite fancy a Drivo, but 10% might be enough to tempt me Vs maybe wait another winter and see what’s on sale.

bigdean

How recently? I noticed the T&C’s exclude it from sale or in-store promtion items. Which is basically everything.

It was a while ago so t&c could have changed

jonba
    Free Member

Have a look on Facebook. I’ve seen a few tacx ones for sale on CDNE bike sales and Big Elbows

https://www.facebook.com/groups/564404616953466/

I’ve go the Tacx 2240. It’s basic compared to the top end models (max power, elevation and power accuracy). It lets me use Zwift though and makes the Turbo fun.

Got mine from Halfords <£200 with the BC discount.

brungle
    Free Member

cheers for the group link, will give it a join.

My refurb Tacx Flow turned up today its boxed and totally mint condition so very pleased. Still awaiting delivery of my trainer tyre from halfords though so sadly can’t try it out tonight 🙁

swdan
    Free Member

How recently? I noticed the T&C’s exclude it from sale or in-store promtion items. Which is basically everything. Quite fancy a Drivo, but 10% might be enough to tempt me Vs maybe wait another winter and see what’s on sale.

I bought one this weekend using BC discount, no problems. Cost me £162

The actual wording form Tthe BC halfords voucher you download is
    “It can be used in conjunction with products on offer through national campaigns but can not be used in conjunction with other offers such as an individual store promotion, other vouchers or colleague or trade card discount”

snotrag

I bought a Tacx Vortex Smart for £130 on facebook before christmas to ‘experiment’ ith Zwift – I LOVE it and have completley got into it.

Even this cheap trainer works really well. Be wary of the non smart versions of the Tacx though.

Poopscoop

Don’t forget to read weeksy’s great Zwift thread on the general chat forum.👍

Also add [STW] after your name on Zwift so the (many) Zwifters on stw can keep an eye out for each other on there.

Zwift is great!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Entry level smart trainer for Zwift?’ is closed to new replies.