Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 248 total)
  • England declares UDI and dissolves the Act of Union
  • gordimhor

You’re not asking a lot, but, well I’ll leave it to you to decide if you are getting what you asked for.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Can someone explain to me in simple terms why the Tories have seen fit to turn the UK Parliament into at least in part an English Parlament?

I wonder what legal challenges the SNP will come up with.

mefty
    Free Member

To introduce a measure of redress to partially resolve the democratic imbalances that arose as a result of devolutionary measures without incurring the significant cost of an additional parliament.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

God your good mefty!

Brilliantly put.

The SNP is more likely to rely on the tried and tested strategy of bluff and bluster….after all, yesterday “was” a dark, dark day!

wanmankylung
    Free Member

To introduce a measure of redress to partially resolve the democratic imbalances that arose as a result of devolutionary measures without incurring the significant cost of an additional parliament.

But Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland had to pay for their own parliaments. What right do the Tories have to create an English Parliament at the cost of the rest of the UK?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

When did all that happen?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Most of it serveral years ago, some of it yesterday.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

So English politicians want their own parliament, but don’t want to pay for it. Devolution for the rest of the UK wouldn’t of gotten off the ground with that sort of thinking.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

We have an English Parliament? How did I miss that?

piemonster

Yey, a thread dedicated to the arts of Westminster or Holyrood bashing with varying degrees of nationalism thrown in with neither side able to admit anything other than the pre existing prejudices.

Woo **** hoo

aracer
    Free Member

You should think yourselves lucky. If they set up a separate English parliament you’d be paying a lot more for it than you are for this 😈

athgray
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

The funny thing is that the usual suspects were jumping up and down thinking the SNP had played a blinder with the announcement that they would vote on hunting (after previously pledging never to vote on England only issues) – How joyful they were at making the Conservatives postpone the vote thereby sticking it to the evil Tories.

Instead, just as predicted, they managed to resolve support within the Tory party for EVEL, and have now made it impossible for themselves to ever do it again. So yes the SNP played a blinder, for the Conservative party 

playing a blinder for the Conservatives is exactly what the SNP want. I agree with Northwind. The whole solution has been hurriedly cobbled together. The SNP and their supporters are far from angry and are embracing EVEL. Epicyclo will have been itching at the bit to post the cartoon above.

If you want a measure of SNP anger on an issue, listen out for Scots language used in the commons by SNP politicians. If they are truly angry they will use English, if they find the situation amusing listen out for Scots being used. Heard EVEL described as a guddle by one MP, so you can telk they are loving it

Fox hunting is a red herring. If the SNP actually cared about the treatment of foxes then they would better spend resources preventing the legal practice in Scotland of flushing foxes to guns with packs of hounds. This is open to abuse and currently illegal in England.

gordimhor

@ Athgray “Fox hunting is a red herring ” Surely that’s Fox Fishing.

bencooper
    Free Member

If you want a measure of SNP anger on an issue, listen out for Scots language used in the commons by SNP politicians. If they are truly angry they will use English, if they find the situation amusing listen out for Scots being used.

Ach, a cannae tell if ye’re havin a wee kid-oan or no wi this.

gordimhor

For what it is worth I don’t think this creates 2 classes of mp.The English grand committee can’t bring forward new legislation though it does have the power to veto bills which may have budget implications for the devolved administrations.This is defined as “minor consequential” budget implications in Hansard and the speaker +2mps will decide minor and consequential means. This is a hasty and poorly thought out move.No proper oversight of the speakers decisions for example.

ChrisL

mefty – Member

Really? It seemed to me that the Tories were making use of a reasonable concern to score some political points and stack some decks in their favour, rather than actually produce a solution that’s fair to all the citizens and countries that make up the UK.

jambalaya
    Free Member

After 2 years to pursuede the Scottish electorate and failing I see the Yes supporters here are desperate to find a straw to clutch.

wrecker
    Free Member

Meanwhile on planet wage slave (where I and a number of others currently reside); this new thingy will make precisely **** all difference to our lives at all. The Tories will claim a victory to the applause of the english nationalists (we’re levelling the field!), the SNP will claim to be mortally wounded to the scottish nationalists (OMG we’re 2nd class, they hate us!). The reality for most of us is it will be; carry on normal jogging.
    Some political capital for the movers and shakers is all it is. Complete bollocks, if it were a newspaper article, we’d call it clickbate.

bencooper
    Free Member

After 2 years to pursuede the Scottish electorate and failing I see the Yes supporters here are desperate to find a straw to clutch.

In those two years, we went from 20% supporting independence to 45% voting for it. No need to clutch at straws, just need to be patient.

athgray
    Free Member

Ach, a cannae tell if ye’re havin a wee kid-oan or no wi this.

I am having a little joke with this yes.
    I will take your Scots and raise you though.

SAOR ALBA!!!!!!

I bet you see it lots on RWOS by people that know two words of Gaelic.

scotroutes

I can’t agree with those that support the idea of a federal UK. On the face of it, it sounds reasonable enough – 4 devolved parliaments and a federal government for things like defence, foreign policy etc but it would fall apart at the first hint of illegal participation in foreign wars and on the nuclear deterrent.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

but it would fall apart at the first hint of illegal participation in foreign wars and on the nuclear deterrent.

Maybe that’d be a good thing.

mefty
    Free Member

Really? It seemed to me that the Tories were making use of a reasonable concern to score some political points and stack some decks in their favour, rather than actually produce a solution that’s fair to all the citizens and countries that make up the UK.

Well one could equally argue that Labour didn’t do anything about it because they appreciated the security of having 40 Scottish MPs to get their English business done – that’s politics. The deck is only stacked if the electorate agrees to so stack it, nothing can be taken for granted.

However, this would appear to be a good time to do something about the issue, if not now, when? They have been discussing it ever since devolution was first mooted so it can hardly be described as rushed. The solution retains every MP’s ultimate voting rights whilst giving a veto to English (and Welsh) MPs on English (and Welsh) only laws. It seems to be an equitable compromise.

jambalaya
    Free Member

just need to be patient

Indeed very, AS said once in a lifetime. I can’t see how any PM/Parliament is going to agree another binding referendum, Labour need the seats and Conservatives won’t allow another for policy reasons

epicyclo

mefty – Member
    …The solution retains every MP’s ultimate voting rights whilst giving a veto to English (and Welsh) MPs on English (and Welsh) only laws. It seems to be an equitable compromise.

It would be if English MPs did not vote on Scottish matters.

onehundredthidiot

Jamb surely a politician has a lifespan of 5 years so….

And this evel is federalism by the back door. Vote for an English parliament under a uk legislative power and be done with it.

athgray
    Free Member

What are you on about nobeer? Scotland kept voting for a government that wanted to take us to war in Iraq.

athgray
    Free Member

Issues cross borders all the time. Although epicyclo may not think so. What about a student from England that wants to study in Scotland? They have no vote available to any party that can help them. What about a doctor living in England but working in a hospital in Scotland that has no say over NHS in Scotland. I sire there are plenty of issies the affect people in England but I don’t know them all.

Northwind

athgray – Member

Issues cross borders all the time. Although epicyclo may not think so. What about a student from England that wants to study in Scotland? They have no vote available to any party that can help them.

I’m not sure where you’re going with this but I’m sure you’re wrong, whatever it is. See, a student can normally register to vote either at their home or termtime address, it’s their choice. So they can study in Scotland, and vote there, or in England.

Assuming for the moment you were talking about tuition fees; on average, an English student studying in Scotland will pay less fees than an English student studying in England, because of generous bursaries bribes. So they don’t exactly need help there. But, if they want to change the tuition fee situation, they can vote for whoever will change that in England. Liberal Democrat I suppose 😉

(in reality, there’s nobody electable in England that’s going to work to reduce tuition fees for students; but that’s nothing to do with devolution, it’s about electoral choice.)

Course, regardless of where they are, they’re now less likely to be registered to vote because changes in voter registration brought in by the last government reduced student voter registration by a third…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

What are you on about nobeer? Scotland kept voting for a government that wanted to take us to war in Iraq.

Who’s to say that’ll keep happening? As it is at the moment no matter who is in charge of Scotland, or how the country voted in the GE we’d end up going to war.

athgray
    Free Member

Assuming for the moment you were talking about tuition fees; on average, an English student studying in Scotland will pay less fees than an English student studying in England, because of generous bursariesbribes. So they don’t exactly need help there. But, if they want to change the tuition fee situation, they can vote for whoever will change that in England. Liberal Democrat I suppose

Northwind, I am not arguing the pro’s or cons of the fee process that the Scottish Parliament has taken, rather that a student from England has no say over voting for a party that can say what it proposes to charge that person for wishing to attend university in Scotland.

athgray
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member

What are you on about nobeer? Scotland kept voting for a government that wanted to take us to war in Iraq.Who’s to say that’ll keep happening? As it is at the moment no matter who is in charge of Scotland, or how the country voted in the GE we’d end up going to war.

So you agree in the past Scotland was instrumental in dragging the UK into an illegal war but that may not be the case in the future???? Interesting take on it I suppose.

Northwind

athgray – Member

Northwind, I am not arguing the pro’s or cons of the fee process that the Scottish Parliament has taken, rather that a student from England has no say over voting for a party that can say what it proposes to charge that person for wishing to attend university in Scotland.

But that’s just wrong- as I say, an English student studying in Scotland can normally register to vote in England, which is where that decision’s made. So they can vote Tory, which will mean increases sooner or later, Green, for abolition, Labour, for reduction, Lib Dem, for… actually, they don’t seem to have a policy any more, it’s not like it matters, they’d do the exact opposite. And UKIP for something complicated to do with STEM and paying tax.

I really don’t know what you think this has to do with devolution or Scotland. An English student in Scotland has the same choice as an English student studying in England.

sadmadalan

I am really puzzled about this whole debate. As always it seems that to many politicians and newspapers have been stirring the for their own reasons. EVEL only came up because the rest of the UK started to understand Scottish devolution asa result of the vote in Scotland. It is a crap idea, but given that the whole West Lothian question had been ignored for far too long, something had to be done.

In reality there are only a few bills which have no Scottish impact. Of those bills only some have devolved responsibility and it is only those bills to which the MPS representing English (& Welsh & NI) constituencies can veto. Remember that they only have the power to veto a bill. Otherwise all MPs (including the ones representing Scottish constituencies) can debate and vote on the Bills.

With devolution Scottish MPs are already second class MPs since they have no say on what ever has been devolved to the Scottish parliament. This change means they don’t lose any rights, just that some bills will be dead before they get a chance to debate/vote on them.

In reality I suspect that it will be used very rarely and on stuff that most MPs don’t turn up and vote on.

athgray
    Free Member

The decision of Scottish universities to charge students is not made at Westminster but At Holyrood. People are saying here that decisions made in Scotland do not affect England. This is not the case.
    Are you saying universities in Scotland charging English, Welsh an NI students is a Scotland only issue?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Are you saying universities in Scotland charging English, Welsh an NI students is a Scotland only issue?

Why wouldn’t it be? People from other foreign countries dont get a say in how much they pay in tuition fees before they come over.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed sadmadalan

The BS during the independence debate was bad enough but the desperation to create a false narrative here is palpable.

Very poor politics from very poor politicians

bencooper
    Free Member

Here’s another interesting analysis you might like, THM:

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/what-does-evel-actually-do.html

My feeling is that the number of times it’s actually used will be naff all – pretty much everything has cross-border implications, and as it’s only an English veto it’s not like it’s much use unless the government is supported by Scottish votes.

The concern more is the precedent set – once you accept the principle that all MPs are equal but some are more equal than others, it’s easy to start going further. Portugal just prevented a majority political party from taking power because their views are anti-EU – the UK might not go that far, but this is a step in that direction.

scotroutes

The Tuition Fees discussion is an interesting one for showing unintended cross-border consequences.

(a) Since the English Unis starting charging, their Scottish counterparts have been complaining that they are now finding it hard to “compete”.

(b) The close geographic and cultural ties make it easy for English students to study in Scotland so the policy difference can make it harder for Scots students to find places.

(c) Is it even possible that by retaining free Uni in Scotland, fewer Scottish students study in England and the laws of supply and demand may be helping keep some English Uni fees in check?

Would the speaker have taken these into consideration if the introduction of Uni fees in England was being discussed after EVEL?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ben – thanks yes interesting and I love the reference to Aristotle and virtue ethics!

The staggering amount of time wasted on these issues is breathtaking, Scotland has an incredible deal at the moment that combines great aspects of union and independence. Instead if making the most of this (almost unique) opportunity, the rabids continue their nonsensical diatribes.

Still looking forward to being up next weekend!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 248 total)

The topic ‘England declares UDI and dissolves the Act of Union’ is closed to new replies.